PDA

View Full Version : Ransomes (Pre-Bobcat) Lynx XT2000

msd_woody
07-17-2001, 01:45 PM
Just bought a circa 1990 Ransomes Lynx model XT2000. It is a 0 turn mower with a 42" deck, 16HP Briggs Vanguard, and a grass collector. It looks vey similar to a Walker with the GHS. I contacted the local dealer, the local distributor, and Textron and none of them can seem to give me much help. Now for the questions - Are these good machines? Are parts still available? How can I found out how old the machine really is? I have no owner's manual and would like to find out how often I should change the hydraulic fluid and the engine oil. The hour meter says 700 hours and I know this isn't correct but it may be the hours since the engine was replaced (supposed to be a 1998 engine). The machine runs and cuts great. It needs new front tires and a new seat. I also spent about 3 hours cleaning it. Paid $1000 for it, was this a good price? Any information at all about this machine or others similar to it would be greatly appreciated.

Eric ELM
07-17-2001, 02:25 PM
You can't get much for a Grand now days, so it sounds like you got a good deal. I would take this machine to a dealer to get the hydro oil changed, since you could possibly get air in the sytem and ruin a pump or wheel motor in a few minutes if you do.

I'm not familiar with your machine, but I know on my hyro system it is easy to mess up unless you know what your doing. I'm not saying you can't do this, but just warning you. If it has hydro filters on it, they should be changed. On my brand of machine, I change the hydro filters each year, but I do not change the oil since it is a completely sealed system and normally doesn't get contaminated.

I do my own, but my dealer told me exactly how to do this and I've been doing it for years. Basically the hydro system is the most touchy part to worry about and can be expensive to fix or replace. If you ruined both pumps and wheel motors, it would cost more to fix than you payed for it.

sdwally
07-17-2001, 05:41 PM
By most recent standard B&S recommend oil changes every 50hrs, if equiped with oil filter, filter is every 100hrs. Most hydrosystems are 500hr service with filter change. Would recommend changing all fuilds and filters unless you know that they were just changed. 30wt oil for the engine is the norm, however hydraulic fuild varies from brand to brand and model to model. Check with local Ransomes dealer for more details. Textron should be able to get a copy of operator and part manuals for you if your local dealer can't or will not help.

msd_woody
07-19-2001, 02:35 PM
Found out from the Ransomes distributor that the owner's manual is no longer available. The parts manual is and I have one on its way, but I doubt that will help with how often to service things. Since the motor is a 1998, I was able to obtain an owner's maual for that. I guess as far as the tractor goes, I could probably just follow the recommendations of a newer machine. I thought I might get lucky and find someone who has the same machine and could give me some information. Thanks for the replies to date though.

ArboristSite
07-20-2001, 08:07 PM
Parts are still available, just so you know. I have plenty still around. Its pretty much a dinosaur.