PDA

View Full Version : Competition while on an estimate call!

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
03-02-2007, 03:40 PM
How many of you have gone out to look at a property only to have other contractors there at the exact same time?

We had that happen today. We were schedule to go look at a property at a certain time. I pulled up to the property and their was another contractor and a real estate agent there looking the property over. I knew exactly what was going to happen. They were going to try and get the other company and us start battling it out right there for the job. Whatever LOL!!!

First, the real estate agent was a Foxtons so I knew right away that money was an issue. The fact that they had two of us come out at the same exact time, that was another dead give away. Competition, fine but I do not work like that. The property was overrun. It had not been maintained in what looked like years. They were trying to fix it up to sell it. Funny thing is I had driven by earlier when I was out when no one was there. Looks like maybe about $3,500 - $4,000 worth of work. Really depending on what they wanted done. Yeah, we might do it for $500 (OK). I wish them luck, but my company will not waste time with situations like that.

Has anyone else ran into situations like that? Sorry so long :)

bigjeeping
03-02-2007, 03:44 PM
whew.. I'd be pissed!

jsf343
03-02-2007, 03:47 PM
I never have but I agree with you and the poster above me here^^ I would be a little ticked. Would not play that game at all, I need work like the next guy, but don't need it that bad!:hammerhead: :dizzy:

DUSTYCEDAR
03-02-2007, 03:49 PM
been there dont that i laffed at the bimbo there was 3 of us that showed up we all knew eacher so it was kinda funny

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
03-02-2007, 03:54 PM
been there dont that i laffed at the bimbo there was 3 of us that showed up we all knew eacher so it was kinda funny

Now that is funny! I do not know this guy personally, but I do know that his shop is near ours. It must have felt like crap to when he saw me pull up right in front of the property.

GreenN'Clean
03-02-2007, 04:31 PM
I had it happen a couple of times It was a bit weird but hey its Business

paponte
03-02-2007, 07:37 PM
I had it happen a couple of times It was a bit weird but hey its Business

Agreed, go there do your job and give the estimate. I have received many jobs like that. Whether you see your competitors there or not, trust me they are still bidding. It's all a part of doing business. :)

supercuts
03-02-2007, 07:38 PM
id throw out a really high number so at least the other guy has fair shot, we're all in this together

Travel'n Trees
03-02-2007, 08:41 PM
I had it happen this week I told them I didn't need to be there if they needed a cheap job that they didn't care about the quality, I could give them some names. And I left.

StBalor
03-02-2007, 09:30 PM
You should have stopped and walked around with them both. Then looked at the other guy and asked him if he really wanted the job. you said the job was about 4,000 so When he said yes, say "it's yours, i have to much work, but i personally would not do it for less than 5000.00" And say it in front of them both.

Woody82986
03-02-2007, 10:27 PM
I have had this happen a time or two. What really pisses me off is when someone calls two or three of us and I bust my ass to get done with a lawn or just to get over there, and when I pull up, there is somebody already mowing the lawn. A phone call to say, "go f*@# yourself" would be nice from time to time.

dchauling
03-03-2007, 02:42 AM
I have seen 12 Paint contractors all walk around a job site with the building manager, they took notes and submitted their bids. The problem would be if you were given the job, showed up and someone was working there. Then I would be pissed.

LawnSharks
03-03-2007, 08:41 AM
I had the exact same thing happen last week. Actually, a neighbor of mine called and wanted us to look at his lawn and give an estimate for an annual contract. He had not seen his contractor since aerating in late September. His yard was a mess. I pull up and he is in the yard talking with this contractor who is begging for his job back and has a new contract for the customer to sign. He had a couple of sob stories about how his equipment was in the shop etc, etc.
To say the least, it was a little uncomfortable because I like the guy. We run into each other all the time and are always really friendly and courteous. I wonder how he will treat us now when he sees our trucks????
Hey, there's enough work out there for all of us. Do a good job at a fair price and you'll keep your customers!!

LB1234
03-03-2007, 09:24 AM
I have seen 12 Paint contractors all walk around a job site with the building manager, they took notes and submitted their bids. The problem would be if you were given the job, showed up and someone was working there. Then I would be pissed.

Unless you have a signed contract and the contractor was doing a good job. Then you would get paid for not doing anything:clapping:

lawnMaster5000
03-03-2007, 12:06 PM
I admit that I once had three drain layers show up to bid on a project at the same time. It was a very complex project and I didnt have the time to spend 2 hours with each of them. I told them when and where to meet and that there may be other contractors there looking at the project at the same time. Worked out well for all of us, and they each submitted a written proposal in private.

No one undercut the other (although there were huge differences in price)

Vikings
03-03-2007, 02:39 PM
I once, during rush hour drove out of my way with two guys on the clock to do an window cleaning estimate to find another company already cleaning the windows.
You shake your head and forget about it.

mattfromNY
03-04-2007, 01:07 PM
earlier this year, I had a lady call and ask if I'd plow her driveway, as it hadn't been done yet. I went out and did it. When I got done, there was a truck at the end of the driveway, the guy got out and started sh!t with me about taking his customer, lowballing, etc.... I didn't even know she had another guy that was supposed to be working for her. She just told me the driveway hadn't been plowed yet this year (It hadn't). I had to explain this to the other contractor (Like he beleived me anyway, he was so pi$$ed), then I let the lady know I was not happy about how the whole situation materialized.
Needless to say, she fired the other guy and now I'm taking care of her place. I'm actually charging more than he was, but b/c I'm actually showing up, she's ok with that.

mastercare
03-05-2007, 01:50 PM
I once got a phonce call for an estimate, and when I called the guy back, he couldn't schedule a time to meet with me. I finally gave into his request to ust write it up and leave it at the door. There was already someone there, and a third pulled up when I was talking to the other contractor. The 3 of us drove away and nobody left an estimate. We assumed that it was unlikely that we were the only 3 bidding on this (large) property. If he called that many lawn companies and refused to meet with any of us in person, you know that he wants low price only. I'm not willing to "win" a bid because I'm the cheapest. If a customer is getting 15 bids, and you're the cheapest, that means you're way underpriced and your time is better spent on a more profitable job.

I don't mind competition...its the nature of the business. In fact, I have even had 2 estimates for things I've had done at home. But, not 15. I want customers who want me. People who will at least make an effort to spend 10 minutes with me in person, and shake my hand. I want to call my customers by name and have them for years to come. I don't need customers who will shop my prices every year. I have to provide for a family, and I do so with quality work, not low prices.

YardPro
03-06-2007, 07:26 AM
But, not 15. I want customers who want me. People who will at least make an effort to spend 10 minutes with me in person, and shake my hand. I want to call my customers by name and have them for years to come. I don't need customers who will shop my prices every year. I have to provide for a family, and I do so with quality work, not low prices.

that is exactly my thinking as well...

we do not service price shoppers.