PDA

View Full Version : More ads on Lawnsite?

Prestige-Lawncare
03-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Is it me ... or are the ads on the fight of this page new? More ads, and less space (width wise anyway) for posting and replies.

Can't say I like it.

Just one persons opinion.

dcondon
03-02-2007, 10:52 PM
I didn't even notice it until you just said something.

Jeds_Lawn_Care
03-02-2007, 10:54 PM
I noticed. Can't say "I like it" either. But hey, that is what you get with a free site.

jpp
03-02-2007, 10:56 PM
I really don't think it gives you less space to read or type in with the new changes. I don't have to scroll over like before with the other change.

JP

Chop Stuff Up
03-03-2007, 12:50 AM
they look kinda like a string of holiday lights that flash at random

robbo521
03-03-2007, 01:06 AM
i like it lots better on the right side like it is than the left side.it pays the bills so dont fuss to much.if a man was to do a site like this without any adds he could brake the bank very fast.so just kick back and injoy the ride!my other sites i go to take up money to keep it going and it gets way up there when you have a lot of people and post and pages.

Sean Adams
03-03-2007, 07:52 AM
Yes, we messed up the first time when we out the ads on the left - it made it really tough for people and there was a lot of scrolling side to side. Now with the ads on the right, that problem is gone.....

I have said this a million times...without the members there would not be a site....without the sponsors there would not be a site.

We are sticking with Green Industry sponsors who have products and services relative to your business.... not unrelated ads and google ads and things like that.

GreenN'Clean
03-03-2007, 09:41 AM
I think it looks better now then before at least its off to side and not the first thing you see

mdvaden
03-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Well, here is the deal, it makes money. But the site has no admission charge. So its okay, at least.

But it doesn't cause a loading problem like the other big "online gardening community" that I'm sure almost everybody is familiar with.

So ads are no problem if the page can load.

I'd suggest updating with a newer monitory and higher resolution for anybody who seems pinched on reading space.

I just bought a 19" flat screen from Costco, and I'm reading everybody's replies in blocks that are 8" to 9" wide.

If you are using Internet Explorer, you want to make sure and eradicate the SIDE explorer bar. All that stuff is in the top menus anyway - no need to loose 2" of viewing space.

lawnman_scott
03-03-2007, 01:28 PM
I would have to say that due to the membership fees here we cant really complain about the sponsers.

Runner
03-03-2007, 03:56 PM
I think it really sucks. you're taking away from the reading space, and you already had sponsor space up at the top. It just takes away from content space. I think it should go back to the other way.

Charles
03-03-2007, 04:30 PM
I think it really sucks. you're taking away from the reading space, and you already had sponsor space up at the top. It just takes away from content space. I think it should go back to the other way.

The other way was not working. The ads were too bunched up due to Lawnsite's extreme popularity with Sponsors and Members. This looks like a good compromise, unless anybody has any better ideas? This is called growing pains as many of us have experienced it in the business world.

Runner
03-03-2007, 06:35 PM
I don't know...I only see one ad on there anyway, and that is the bob-cat ad. For some reason, I don't get all the advertisers logos on the page...whether it be at the top, or wherever. The best I can guess, is that it must have happened somewhere in my firewall settings, or spyware, or something....

GreenMonster
03-03-2007, 06:54 PM
I don't like it.

Uranus
03-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Sorry Lawnsite. I would rather see the sponsors up top. That way I dont have to scroll down. I have signed on to LS just to click on a sponsor's link so I could research a product. Now with them on the right of the screen I have to stop and scroll down. It would be easier for me to go directly to the sponsor's site by googleing it then adding it to my favorites page. If that is the easier way for me to do it then I wouldn't be visiting lawnsite. After I finish my research I usually find myself coming back to lawnsite and making a few post. Like I said before I rather the sponsors up on the top of the site and in my face first.

Ric3077
03-03-2007, 07:09 PM
I agree on the right looks silly and is worse exposure for the advertisers

terrapro
03-03-2007, 07:18 PM
looks fine to me

mike007
03-05-2007, 02:37 PM
I just have to say, Thanks for the site guys. I know its gotta be alot of work, and if it takes sponsers to keep it up then I can put up with it. At least Ive got a simple link to look at new equipment. As far as everyone else, Would you rather pay? Maybe they can start up an identical site without sponsers just for you.

Ric3077
03-05-2007, 02:48 PM
We are not mad about the sponsers we just want them all up top (were they have always been) not on the right hand side it makes it so annoying...plus why would a paying sponser want to be on the right side, the exposure is horrible.

TurfEditor
03-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Others complained at adding rows at the top. I guess we can't please everyone on everything.

The only thing that is real is that bringing you LawnSite costs a lot of $$, and it is the sponsors who pay that $$.

DC

Ric3077
03-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Why not start a poll and have people vote either

A. 4 rows of ads on top
B. 3 rows of ads on tops and ads on the right column

The users are the ones clicking the ads, the majority opinion should count.

LONEMAN
03-05-2007, 04:40 PM
This is a much better set up than before. These ads are not a problem for me at all (my screen is set up at 1024 x 728). I think the ads are set up like that so that when you scroll down, they are still somewhat displayed as opposed to the ads located at the top that disappear when you scroll down.

camden
03-08-2007, 02:47 AM
Right side much better than the left.

Prestige-Lawncare
03-08-2007, 08:44 AM
I was just saying ... do we really need so many images and animated gifs on each page from advertisers? I just feel that 64 ads on each page is a little much.

Just my opinion ... and I yes I do know what it costs to provide a forum like this. Though I am sure Sean probably doesn't like me (or anyone else) bringing this up ... I was just stating my feelings.

Other then so many ads ... keep up the good work ... I really enjoy the site.

Dave