PDA

View Full Version : My Thread got deleted Because I said this mag. Sucked

Greatdane522003
03-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Everyone is titled to there own opinion about something, And since I'm the only one that has said that this mag. Sucks you go through here and deleted it now that 's messed up!

d&rlawncare
03-03-2007, 09:06 AM
im sure this one will be deleted as well. If you had a website would you let me post that your lawn service sucked on it?

Greatdane522003
03-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Well I'm just saying, Everyone has a opinion on most things there's got to be some peolpe on this site that agree with me there are alot better "FREE mags. out there and I want Turf to know that!:realmad:

mojob
03-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Well I'm just saying, Everyone has a opinion on most things there's got to be some peolpe on this site that agree with me there are alot better "FREE mags. out there and I want Turf to know that!:realmad:
So read them and get on with your life. You've got more balls then brains.

Raven386
03-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Well I'm just saying, Everyone has a opinion on most things there's got to be some peolpe on this site that agree with me there are alot better "FREE mags. out there and I want Turf to know that!:realmad: FREE so stop complaining.

topsites
03-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Man, you can get away with a lot of stuff here, probably more than on most any other forum, the masters and the powers to be are pretty tolerant for the most part. But talking bad about the sponsors who support this site and the man who runs it is a big no-no, and being an admin myself I understand this completely but also think you don't even need to be an admin to realize that.

Now if you didn't like it, best I can recommend is a thread talking about how they could improve, or perhaps what it is about the product that disappointed you, something more along the lines of constructive criticism might fly (and it might not, but).

Anyway, take it easy.

Charles
03-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Man, you can get away with a lot of stuff here, probably more than on most any other forum, the masters and the powers to be are pretty tolerant for the most part. But talking bad about the sponsors who support this site and the man who runs it is a big no-no, and being an admin myself I understand this completely but also think you don't even need to be an admin to realize that.

Now if you didn't like it, best I can recommend is a thread talking about how they could improve, or perhaps what it is about the product that disappointed you, something more along the lines of constructive criticism might fly (and it might not, but).

Anyway, take it easy.

Exactly! ....................

GreenN'Clean
03-03-2007, 04:26 PM
I'll never complain about getting any mag for free, if you don't like it contact turf and tell them not to send them to you anymore no need to talk down about them

carcrz
03-03-2007, 08:56 PM
I'll never complain about getting any mag for free, if you don't like it contact turf and tell them not to send them to you anymore no need to talk down about them

That'd be too easy & smart to do!

Sean Adams
03-03-2007, 09:56 PM
OK, maybe I'm biased here, but in my opinion TURF is the standard in this industry when it comes to magazines. Maybe some people agree, maybe some don't. Either way, the magazine is free which makes it unbeatable. The people at TURF are thick-skinned and they have proven they are willing to listen to and accept constructive criticism, but saying something "sucks" and leaving it at that....well, you read what everyone else said.

kathyu
03-05-2007, 09:01 AM

Feel free to send me your name and address ( kupton@mrpllc.com) and I will be more than happy to see that you are no longer offended by our "sucky" magazine.

Kathy

LawnSharks
03-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Kathy,
I hope that you guys at Moose River understand that the overwhelming majority of your readers LOVE your magazine. Thanks for the hard work and compilation. Keep it up, I personnally can't wait for the next issue.

mulchmaster
03-05-2007, 09:24 AM
What do I need to do to get a subscription to this magazine. I dont get it and would love to. :cool2:

LawnSharks
03-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Simply click on the link right below your last post and register. It usually arrives 4-6 weeks after your subscription request. Enjoy!

stumpslawncare
03-05-2007, 09:34 AM
FREE What gives you the right to complain about something that is free? It cost them money to send them to you (postage) and you are complaining about a free magazine. Maybe you need to rethink your outlook on life and worry about more pressing issues.

kathyu
03-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Kathy,
I hope that you guys at Moose River understand that the overwhelming majority of your readers LOVE your magazine. Thanks for the hard work and compilation. Keep it up, I personnally can't wait for the next issue.

Hi Lawnsharks,
I know alot of folks do enjoy receiving Turf every month and we appreciate your loyalty. However he is right that everyone is entitled to an opinion. It would be a mightly boring world if we all agreed on everything. I don't like losing readers (after all...this is MY job!), but I also don't want anyone to feel obligated to continue to receive a publication they don't enjoy.

What do I need to do to get a subscription to this magazine. I dont get it and would love to. :cool2:

Mulchmaster....just go to www.turfmagazine.com and fill out the brief online subscription form. If you get it in before the 14th of March, April will be your first issue, so send me your mailing info and I'll get the March issue to you when we get copies inhouse.

Thanks for the support guys!:) :)

Sandgropher
03-05-2007, 09:55 AM
I have constuctive criticism to make, there needs to be more pictures of scantly clad ladies and fishing, hunting pics, after all the last thing we need to look at after a hards week work is mower pictures, we look at them all day.

I hope this helps :usflag:

kathyu
03-05-2007, 11:15 AM
I have constuctive criticism to make, there needs to be more pictures of scantly clad ladies and fishing, hunting pics, after all the last thing we need to look at after a hards week work is mower pictures, we look at them all day.

I hope this helps :usflag:

That's funny!
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=170468
try this thread out instead. We did run a swimsuit issue of Turf a few years ago. Our very creative production manager dressed various mowers in swimsuits. It was quite amusing!

TurfEditor
03-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Unless people start calling names, I'm going to ask the Mods to leave this up.

We accept that we can't be all things to all people, and some are going to like the way others do things better, but on your previous thread, you had only two reasons for why we suck: we're "off topic" and "all ads."

Both of these statements are simply and demonstrably not true. We try to maintain approx. 60:40 ratio for ads to editorial (which is pretty standard for trade magazines). What you may be responding to is the fact that we have -- by far -- more ads than any other industry trade magazine (by about 2:1 at least). Those ads buy extra editorial pages, because we try to maintain that 60:40 ratio -- the more ads, the more pages for stories.

Any way you look at it, you are getting a LOT of feature articles. Just look at the Table of Contents and count the number of features. You can even leave out the Product Guides and New Products if you want (though when we survey readers, they always tell us this product info is the #1 thing they're looking for).

Your "off topic" criticism is just plain silly. Find me one and name it.

If you have some ideas or real criticism, I'd be glad to address it (and bring it to the editorial table, if it was a good idea).

Just saying "This sucks!" says more about you than it does about Turf.

David C.
Exec Editor

TurfEditor
03-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Sandgropher --
If I ever manage to actually get a deer, I'll publish the picture. So far, I've been skunked in three different states.

As to the pictures of scantily clad ladies, MRP is a company with 5 men and about 60 women. Do I need to say more?

DC

Runner
03-09-2007, 02:03 PM
OH! THAT sounds like a rough environment to work! lol:laugh:

Feel free to send me your name and address ( kupton@mrpllc.com) and I will be more than happy to see that you are no longer offended by our "sucky" magazine.Kathy

Now THERE is a cool post! :drinkup:

YardPro
03-09-2007, 08:31 PM
as others have said it's free... and you can cancel your subscription at any time....

MILSINC
03-09-2007, 09:18 PM
what's the value of turf mag?
sure, there are lots of ads. But, when you want an idea for an add-on to a piece of equipment, or a new gadget to solve a problem, it is really easy to just pick up the mag and leaf through it. If you don't find what you are looking for in that issue, odds are good that you will remember a past issue that had it, and dig that one out.
I keep these types of publications around for research, and to allow clients who step into my office the opportunity to see what I read in my spare time- that's right- green industry drivel.
no, it's not drivel. It is all useful. The more you know about your industry, the better, even if it is through an advertisement.
-- another thing, the last issue I recieved had an article about trees in the landscape, and how it is always wise to keep trees separated from turf for various reasons.. It just happens that I needed to convey that point to a new client who needs to hear that type of information from more than one source in order to make the decisions that I would like him to make. What better way than FREE advice to sway a client into doing the right thing for a landscape?

kmann
03-10-2007, 02:42 PM
I like all the ads. Thats why I get!

ccash
03-10-2007, 02:45 PM
i love the ads too

Uranus
03-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Sandgropher --
If I ever manage to actually get a deer, I'll publish the picture. So far, I've been skunked in three different states.

As to the pictures of scantily clad ladies, MRP is a company with 5 men and about 60 women. Do I need to say more?

DC

No you dont have to say more.
YOU HAVE TO SHOW MORE! More pics of chicks

But anyways. Can you get permagreen to get a new add. I want to slap the smile off that guy in the top hat on the spreader. Come on tux, top hat, and white gloves while fertilizing out of a hummer.

j&c
03-10-2007, 04:02 PM
the only change I would like to see is more local LC's featured
other than that I like the turf better than...............that I recieve that only features $100,000,000 + lawn care Companies.

in other words I like Turf......

DUSTYCEDAR
03-10-2007, 04:08 PM
turf has been an asset to my biz with great info each month plus its free!!!
quit your whining!

WALKER LANDSCAPE
03-10-2007, 04:13 PM
other than that I like the turf better than...............that I recieve that only features $100,000,000 + lawn care Companies.

I agree that would be good idea. Ever once in awhile.:waving:

deereman
03-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Well I think that Greatdane is a good name cause they run real fast and I'll bet he's still running!! However, I do think that he's got the idea that he was wrong in all those statements. And to Turf................Keep up the great work! I know that a lot of work goes into something of the level that you guys run things at. My favorite personaly is the Field Test Reports , I'm still waiting to get a call from them asking me to demo something for them! What a fun task that would be! And to David Cassidy.........I dont have a habit of reading all the Editors notes, from other mags. that I get but I do read all of yours! I love the way you think and then put it in writing. I also dig the way you think OUTSIDE the box. Sooooooooooo Keep Up the great work.

Respectfully, Deereman

mountianview
03-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Great magazine keep mine coming,greatdane you need to subscribe to fur fish and game and playboy, leave this magazine for serious landscapers and give your complaints to them for not having any lawnmowers.

ccash
03-10-2007, 11:34 PM
i love it. does anyone know any other free ones?

Uranus
03-11-2007, 05:32 PM
i love it. does anyone know any other free ones?

PRO.......

PR Fect
03-11-2007, 11:42 PM
other than that I like the turf better than...............that I receive that only features $100,000,000 + lawn care Companies.

Agreed. And we still have not found out what was so bad, free or not. PR

robbo521
03-12-2007, 12:02 AM
i love it!the best part is here in the south all the fine woman are in mine!KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

cgland
03-12-2007, 08:30 AM
I love turf as well, but I would like to see maybe some exerpts from the MB (valid industry topics) listed in the mag w/ maybe a brief profile of some of the members. L&L does this quite well. Thanks Turf.

Chris

TurfEditor
03-12-2007, 10:53 AM
deereman - I'm glad you like my ramblings. Thanks for the kind words.

DC

txgrassguy
03-12-2007, 12:29 PM
If you want to feature a southern LCO, feature me:cool2:

GLLawns
03-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Now this is whats wrong with people today, they can't even be thankful for something free. Try canceling your subscription, and get a book on manners and being thankful instead. By the way, everyone IS entitled to their opinion, but admin IS also entitled to block your azz and any ramblings it sees fit.

DeereHauler
03-17-2007, 06:33 PM
greatdane you need to subscribe to fur fish and game and playboy, leave this magazine for serious landscapers and give your complaints to them for not having any lawnmowers.

maybe he would appreciate those mags because he had to pay for them, but i doubt it.

nothing better than turf, and its free! keep em' coming!

americanlawn
03-22-2007, 08:31 PM
I hate to see any oppnions "deleted" whatsoever. Including Greatdane's.

I was "banned" from a college football site because I quoted facts regarding acedemics.......go figure (okay---they were in regards to "minorities + crime + graduating). I submitted 3 quotes: ESPN, FOX Sports, and CBS Sports.

I tried to point out that education is as important as sports. This alone got me banned. The site is CFP (collegefootballpoll.com)

Greatdane.....Here's what I would do. If you criticize, list specific reasons why you feel this way. I know the magazine, and I realize what you are talking about, but keep in mind that Turf Magazine is trying to provide help to lawn care professionals. They also have hard-working people who show up for work everyday (just like you and me).

I thank my lucky stars that they do not charge me for receiving their magazine.

With all "free" lawn care magazines, I put up with all the advertising because I know that is how we receive it for "free"---the could charge us you know.

Actually...I enjoy looking at all the color photos (even if a magazine sometimes lacks in needed information).

By the way, we cancelled our subscription to this particular magazine you mentioned. Not because their magazine was lousy, rather because it tailors to mowing (which we subcontract).

Greatdane --- I understand where you are coming from. No disrespect to Turf Magazine whatsoever. I just hate suppression of oppinions...PERIOD!
(if you do it respectfully)

Please reply to this thread to explain why you think this magazine sucks. I want to know, but try to use the word "lacks" instead of "sucks". Then just be specific. I'm on your side if you do this.

Take care dude. We're all working hard now.

Sincerely, americanlawn (started w/ChemLawn in 1978).

p.s. lawnsite.com RULES!!!

americanlawn
03-23-2007, 09:14 PM
I like TURF magazine. Large and nice color photos.

Sure -- they feature lots of ads, but what magazine doesn't?

Actually, TURF magazine has featured products that we ended up buying.

Keep up the good work TURF mag people -- I appreciate what you do.

If I ever have suggestions, I will email my concerns in a positive manner.

Thanks again, American

jack carson
04-26-2007, 09:46 AM
I had that happen to andthey got upset. Don't offer opinions or be careful if you do or they take you off.

kathyu
04-26-2007, 09:59 AM
I had that happen to andthey got upset. Don't offer opinions or be careful if you do or they take you off.

Jack~take you off what, may I ask?

jack carson
04-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Lets just say you better not slam anyones products or you posts could be taken off.

Dano50
04-26-2007, 10:08 AM
I like TURF magazine. Large and nice color photos.

Sure -- they feature lots of ads, but what magazine doesn't?

Actually, TURF magazine has featured products that we ended up buying.

I like TURF magazine too. In fact, I just saw an ad for Fluid Film in there. Great product. I think TURF should do a write-up on that stuff.

Oh wait, I'm the sponsor. :dizzy:

Actually we link to TURF from our website. In our opinion it is the BEST magazine for the turf industry.

Sammy
04-26-2007, 10:12 AM
More pic's of Chicks would be nice ?

LindblomRJ
04-26-2007, 10:15 AM

Baby birds? Tiny chickens?

jack carson
04-26-2007, 10:15 AM
Amen! Hope that's ok to say.!

kathyu
04-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Lets just say you better not slam anyones products or you posts could be taken off.

That's not really an answer.

Try the off topic section, there's a 2007 Calendar Girls thread you might enjoy.

:usflag:

Nathan Robinson
04-26-2007, 10:38 AM
they deleted my thread because I said I had a tick on my balls and to use deet!

PopsLawnService
04-26-2007, 10:47 AM
This is some funny stuff.

kathyu
04-26-2007, 10:51 AM
they deleted my thread because I said I had a tick on my balls and to use deet!

Perhaps if you had worded your thread in a more mature manner, one fit for public view, it wouldn't have been delete? I don't know what the mods base their decisions on.

Michael J. Donovan
04-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Perhaps if you had worded your thread in a more mature manner, one fit for public view, it wouldn't have been delete? I don't know what the mods base their decisions on.

Yes, kathy is correct...we do try to keep the site professional and if we feel something is inappropriate, or not necessary, it will be removed

Sandgropher
04-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Oh so thats why all my posts get removed ?:)

J/K only 99% of them not all of them ;)

emu
05-09-2007, 06:54 AM
WOW.I like the controversy.Im only kidding.Do they sell Turf mag in australia.

Sandgropher
05-09-2007, 07:21 AM
I am not sure Emu, mine get smuggled in by U.S navy personell when they come into Fremantle harbour, i can get you a copy for $100.;)

kathyu
05-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Watch ebay, sometimes that have issues of our magazines for sale! In fact there's 3 Landscape Construction on there now!

Seriously, if you will send me your address, I can get you a quote for shipping to Australia.

Kathy :)

fiveoboy01
05-09-2007, 10:40 PM
I happen to like the mag.

I don't "wait" for it each month, so it's a pleasant surprise when it shows up in my mailbox.

I love looking at the ads... All kinds of stuff to dream about having lol.

Only thing I don't like is the "wasted space" by printing an article once in english, and the identical article in Spanish. I understand there are a lot of immigrants in this industry(some legal and some not), but I just sort of think the space could be used for something else. JMHO.

All in all, I'm glad I subscribed:)

kathyu
05-10-2007, 09:41 AM
And we're glad to have you as a subscriber!

I'll pass your input about the spanish article on to the powers that be.

:usflag:

TN Property Services
06-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Great job Turf.
Got my first mag last month and love it.
I, too agree with fiveoboy. This is America and the primary/official language is English.

maxkicker
06-02-2007, 11:04 PM
i dont get the spanish article either
can you really run a business here without speaking english?

Diversified Maintenance
06-03-2007, 09:04 PM
I personally like getting the magazine due to the fact that I always like to look at the 'latest and greatest' products out there to improve my business however..I understand also the way the magazine works so I understand the 'needs' of marketing and advertisement to support the product but I do feel the magazine could use just a few more articles regarless of what it may be i.e.- grass, sodding, landscaping, whatever...just a little more reading versus advertising. Its a good magazine...just dont turn it into a classified magazine as that seems to be what it is becoming. Just needs a balance of both.

Big Bad Bob
06-04-2007, 01:55 AM
maybe they're trying to cater to spanish only speaking lco's who service spanish only speaking customers.:dizzy:
most hispanic peoples whom i've met who could afford a lawn service or landscaping, were educated enough to speak fluent english.
to beat an old drum, if you live in america, even the sw which most hispanics believe is actually a u.s. occupied part of mexico, you need to speak understandable english. i'm not saying that you gotsta speak it as affluent as me:jester: , but most americans should at least be able to understand what you are saying. i'm not even saying that spanish should be banned. if you want to speak exclusively spanish to each other, have at it. just be able to function in american society is all i ask.

uh oh. something just occurred to me. the people whom i am addressing won't know what i'm saying because they don't read english! and i've tried those translators and they are laughable most of the time.
i guess i'll just turn this over to my daughter, (who makes a good living translating for hispanics whom don't speak english, by the way. ) and have her translate it. check back soon.

i am now ready for my own grammer lesson.*trucewhiteflag*

americanlawn
06-05-2007, 06:34 PM
100% agreement with topsites & Sean. Seems that all "free" turf/tree/green industry mags have commonalities: lots of pictures, not a whole lot of research data (but so what), and lots of ads. Since they are free, I like them alot (just like free beer always tastes best) LOL. The staff at TURF mag is just as thick-skinned as the admin on this site -- good people just trying to serve guys like you & me......at no charge! Man - you can't beat that! On rain days, my guys read TURF magazine while waiting for the rain to end -- hot coffee too (a pretty good combo). Thanks TURF - I appreciate you & your support of this site. americanlawn