PDA

View Full Version : Opt out of Ohio Workers Comp????

battags
03-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Has anyone heard of being able to have an employee opt out of Ohio's Workmans Comp? I haven't been able to find it yet in writting, but I have been told that an employee can opt out every 6 months by signing a waiver form to be filed with BWC and submitting a $15 fee.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Brian

JRSlawn
03-03-2007, 01:28 PM
I never herd of that. Workmens comp is the biggest waste of money period.

mslawn
03-03-2007, 07:49 PM
I never herd of that. Workmens comp is the biggest waste of money period.

Until that big accident happens. Then it will be the best money spent.

JRSlawn
03-03-2007, 10:03 PM
I would rather have the big accident not happen. :)

mslawn
03-03-2007, 10:22 PM
I would rather have the big accident not happen. :)

That is something out of your control. Your employee could have a brain fart and chop his arm off with a tool and with no workers comp, your out there on your own.

Josh.S
03-03-2007, 11:12 PM
Although I understand mslawn's point, I would also like to know if there is an Opt out form because my employees are just in high school, plus I have insurance that covers medical.

JRSlawn
03-03-2007, 11:29 PM
Yeah my company policy covers all medical and injuries

Clapper&Company
03-04-2007, 12:23 AM
In Ohio you can Opt out, if you are a Sole guy with no employees. It cost 10.00 and you get your Certificate.. If you can get in to a group rating, its the best thing ever. The group rating I'm in saves me 90%.

Jeff, whats your group save you?

battags
03-04-2007, 09:13 AM
In Ohio you can Opt out, if you are a Sole guy with no employees. It cost 10.00 and you get your Certificate.. If you can get in to a group rating, its the best thing ever. The group rating I'm in saves me 90%.

Jeff, whats your group save you?

Clapper&Company - Who are you getting your group rate with? We looked at Ohio Lawn Care Association and unfortunately they told us we aren't eligible until July of 2008. Apparently, they mailed the paperwork in February and we didn't start researching until March. But, you are correct, their group rate would save us a TON of money. If you are going through somewhere else, please let me know.

mslawn
03-04-2007, 09:26 AM
my employees are just in high school, plus I have insurance that covers medical.

Inexperienced people make for great accident issues. What insurance covers medical that is not workers comp., your general liability won't pay for an employee.

mslawn
03-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Yeah my company policy covers all medical and injuries

How can you cover all medical and injuries with your policy, with no insurance. Recently had a guy get seven stiches (cut from hedge trimmer) and after it was over about $1500.00. What does your company policy say if they cut their wrist, then almost died cause they leaked most their blood out on the ground. Better yet a deep cut that requires intricate surgeries to correct. Best of all, dumb thumbing thru a yard on a ztr and hit a clothesline wide open with their neck and they break their neck, if it does not kill them, then could you imagine the cost of surgury and hospitalization. What OTHER insurance covers this and what does a company POLICY state.

Please note - General Liability DOES NOT cover employee injurys. The medical and injuries would cover innocent bystanders on gl policy. Talk to your agent.

Flow Control
03-04-2007, 09:40 AM
joined COSE this year and it is going to bring down our BWC by more then a 1K

JRSlawn
03-04-2007, 01:56 PM
We paid close to 6,000 a couple year when we first got into it. I am grouped now with the BBB they save me 90%

Flow Control
03-04-2007, 02:28 PM
And that is straight to the pocket savings

Mr. Vern
03-04-2007, 02:40 PM
If you are running without workers comp, you are playing with fire. I have known of employees who have gotten hurt off of work and since they did not have medical, they wait til they get to work and claim that it happened there. Don't think they won't do it to you!
Also, it does not take much to get injured legitimately at work, and they will come after you personally if you don't have WC. It's expensive, and in CA it is corrupt, but you still need to have it!

battags
03-04-2007, 04:03 PM
joined COSE this year and it is going to bring down our BWC by more then a 1K

I've heard a lot about COSE and have seen numerous commercials. The info on their site is interesting. If I joined now, do you know if I can take advantage of the savings on Workmans Comp immediately, or do I have to wait until next year?

Brian

gqnine44
03-04-2007, 04:39 PM
I've heard a lot about COSE and have seen numerous commercials. The info on their site is interesting. If I joined now, do you know if I can take advantage of the savings on Workmans Comp immediately, or do I have to wait until next year?

Brian

You will probably have to wait. But join today so you are saving for the next one. I saved a ton by joining something similiar last season (I just saw the results on this period).

Flow Control
03-04-2007, 05:01 PM
We are going to pay .005 vs. .07 of payroll. With the state of Ohio you pay in 6 months increments. So you have to wait for the next period for the savings.

So I take back that earlier statement, it is saving us $1000's

Drew Gemma
03-04-2007, 05:02 PM
what are the group benefits like

Clapper&Company
03-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Clapper&Company - Who are you getting your group rate with? We looked at Ohio Lawn Care Association and unfortunately they told us we aren't eligible until July of 2008. Apparently, they mailed the paperwork in February and we didn't start researching until March. But, you are correct, their group rate would save us a TON of money. If you are going through somewhere else, please let me know.

We have group rating though CCI, there saving us 90% so say you pay a guy 20g a year, with out group rating WC would be like $3,270. With group rating he would cost you $327 so it is worth it in the long run. They do run every 6mos so I think you may have to wait till the next payroll reporting.

Call CCI @ 800-837-3200 Ext. 7228 her name is Colleen Culp, she’s a big help.