PDA

View Full Version : Printing directly onto envelopes

Jason Rose
03-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Why is this sooo difficult? Or is it just MY printer!? I have a couple month old HP F380 that has the slot for printing envelopes, but no matter what I set the paper to be or how I format it, about every other one gets messed up! It can't seem to load the envelope fully before it starts printing on it so my return logo and address gets ran off the paper. Plus the fact that the tray only will hold maybe a dozen envelopes at a time, that makes printing 60 off a very difficult and frustrating task! Also, if it jams, or runs out of paper it will NOT work again until I reboot the whole computer!:dizzy: I finally reverted back in time and printed off labels and spent a good deal of time peeling and sticking.

I looked at a color lazer printer yesterday too, $400 for an HP 3 in one, or $700 for a Brother machine that looks to be much more well built and also has fax and PC faxing capabilities. I'm just sick of the constant "out of ink" situation I'm in! Only a couple hundred pages and the cartridges on my printer are empty, toner for a lazer printer will do like 2,000 pages and only cost about 4 times more.

Had to vent :hammerhead: I spent most of the day yesterday yelling at this machine!!! I hate "office work"!

newz7151
03-03-2007, 12:54 PM
If your HP can accept one of the auto duplex attachments with the extra sheet feeder, it would make envelope printing much easier because it feeds from the top instead of pulling out of a tray.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?storeName=accessories&landing=printer&category=inkjet_aio&subcat1=paper_handling&orderflow=1&a1=Type+of+product&v1=Duplexers&product_code=Q3032A%23A2L&catLevel=2

I'm not sure if this will fit your printer or not. It comes up as an optional accessory for the Deskjet F380 all in one, but it doesn't show in the supported models.

ED'S LAWNCARE
03-03-2007, 12:55 PM
I normally use a see thru window envelope for my invoices, but when I mail postcards flyers etc.. I use labels they work great.

LawnsRUsInc.
03-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Oh shoot man i hear you i had the same printer and i got rid of it and bought a new color laser OKI printer does envelopes really any size paper

grandview (2006)
03-03-2007, 12:58 PM
It might cost a little more but I just have a printer do them for me not (office max or another chain) but I order a box of returns and a box of envelopes to send out about 500 ea.this way I always have them.

lawnMaster5000
03-03-2007, 01:00 PM
get double window envelopes. You will love them.

Also, then you dont have to worry about matching up the invoice and the proper envelope. Just stuff and stamp.

Jason Rose
03-03-2007, 01:07 PM
I wanted the ability to do one at a time as well and with the address and return address printed on there. I hate having to scrawl it on in pen, and I don't have a label printer to make one label at a time.

For invoices I do use windowed envelopes, though they are rather expensive compared to others... But for letters and estimates I don't have those formatted for a windowed envelope because it takes up 1/3 of the page just for the address and return. Letters and estimates are usually longer and I "try" to keep things condensed to fit onto one page.

Anyone ever just forgo the envelope all together and just print the address and return on one side (in the center 1/3 of the page), then print whatever you need on the other side, fold, tape, and affix a stamp? Would be a great time saver over stuffing envelopes and also a money saver too. Does the post office frown on these type of mailings? I would likely use a heavier bond paper so it wouldn't wrinkle up so bad...

Vikings
03-03-2007, 03:27 PM

Also, then you dont have to worry about matching up the invoice and the proper envelope. Just stuff and stamp.

Yes, this is what I do but I still print addresses on a small No. 8 envelope as a return envelope.

I have to use an inkjet because my colour lazer doesn't accept such small sizes.

This year I think I will stop printing out those envelopes because inkjet ink smears when it gets wet.

newz7151
03-03-2007, 06:03 PM
This year I think I will stop printing out those envelopes because inkjet ink smears when it gets wet.

Depends alot on the quality of ink. Most new HP and EPSON inks are colorfast and won't smudge or run with moisture. Also depends a little on the fiber in the paper you print on too.

Vikings
03-03-2007, 06:12 PM
I buy 4-8 oz bottles of ink from Island injet that way I can refill a cartridge for about $3.

I do the same with my colour lazer, I buy toner refill kits on ebay. Dramatically reduces costs.

Shades of Green LService
03-03-2007, 08:39 PM
www.rubberstampchamp.com
works great, i've used them for 13 years.

bigjeeping
03-03-2007, 08:45 PM

YES! better than sliced bread! Invoice envelopes are around $30 for 500 but they are worth every penny :weightlifter:

I also use the small return address envelopes.. it's pricey to have them custom printed so I was printing my own for awhile.. But that got to be troublesome because none of my three printers like to work right EVERY time.

So I got labels. 30 labels to a sheet, just peel and stick on the return envelope. saved so much time over trying to print out hundreds of them

StBalor
03-03-2007, 09:01 PM
I was having a problem with my lexmark printer printing on envelopes. i messed with the style a bit and noticed when i print the the corner side 1st it ran alot better.