PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know what this Is On my Cummings Diesel?

Daner
03-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Need help on this...for some reason this part is drawing power all the time (short)....My batterys were dead flat this morning.
So I have it disconected for now ...from the battery...It starts ok...wondering what it is ...any one know??
Thanks in advance.

ffemt1271
03-03-2007, 01:30 PM
on my 03 it is set up a little differently, but i believe it is a sensor for some of the injection system.

Daner
03-03-2007, 01:40 PM
on my 03 it is set up a little differently, but i believe it is a sensor for some of the injection system.

Its got 2 fairly heavy wires running to 2 terminals on it. and they look like they got hot.

Its a 2002

Thanks for the reply.

Any one else???
I'm wondering if i can run the truck with it diconected ..as i do now...it still runs when i take the wire off the battery.

Daner
03-03-2007, 01:41 PM

Its got 2 fairly heavy wires running to 2 terminals on it. and they look like they got hot.

Its a 2002

Thanks for the reply.

Any one else???
I'm wondering if i can run the truck with it disconected ..as i do now...it still runs when i take the wire off the battery.

Swampy
03-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Looks like your MAP sensor

Daner
03-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Looks like your MAP sensor

Ok I bite...whats a MAP sensor??...and thanks for your reply.

I just plowed all around my shop,with it disconnected from the battery...

Could this be some kind of anti corrosion device??

I need this truck to plow approx 50 lane ways in the morning...and all the mechanics AROUND HERE don't work on Sat.:hammerhead: ...anyway...all the advice is greatly appreciated

mojob
03-03-2007, 03:25 PM
If it's got heavy wire going to it, it's not a sensor. Could it be some kind of intake manifold heater?

mattfromNY
03-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Go online. Google it. Thats how I find out a lot of info. on my own trucks.

topsites
03-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Your best bet on short notice would likely be to check out the Dodge version of Lawnsite, here:
Dodge Forum (http://dodgeforum.com/)

You'll likely have to register a User ID and post the same question in the appropriate section, but that's where I get all the assistance I need for my '95 D-2500 (which is gas, unfortunately).

Also my Haynes manual only covers me up to 2001, but I am thinking if you look under a section covering the valve cover, it might tell you what that part is called (but I'm guessing that big thing with DODGE written on it is a valve cover, idk).

You could also try pulling diagnostic codes with it disconnected.

Closest thing I show is an Air Temperature Sensor, but that's on 94-98 Cummins.
From what I can tell, the MAP sensor is towards the back, where those 3 wire harnesses are.
This is all under Chapter 6 of my Haynes manual: Emissions and engine control systems (if that helps).

If it is the ATS, it's probably no big deal other than your mpg will suffer some.

ProMo
03-03-2007, 06:31 PM
try turning the key on 3 times then leave it on. It should check for codes and display them on the odometer.

xcopterdoc
03-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Thats the grid heater.. works kinda like glow plugs.

Jay74
03-03-2007, 09:31 PM
It's your grid heater.

vadeere
03-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Third for the grid heater

Daner
03-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Hey thanks guys...for your time and help...Hmmmmmmm a Grid Heater...makes sence to me. It hard starting now that I have disconected it...I better park it in the shop tonight...going down to - 40 with the windchill.
I will take it In when I get some time and geter fixed up.
Ps ..I'm tired of plowing...cant wait to spring.
Daner

xcopterdoc
03-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Probably shorted out,, easy fix. Not sure on the price though. better change the relay and wires too if it got hot. Install a block heater and it wont have to cycle as long due to the higher engine temp.

dirthog
03-06-2007, 08:38 AM
also looks like it was on way to long should never burn the paint off like that better check the relay and wireing

mini14
03-18-2007, 08:32 PM
the grid heater will build resistence as it get older and will fail...also,anything getten by the air filter is passed onto the grid heater so u might have sucked something in to cauze it to ignite, or resistence built up too high...u should pull the air horn off to see what it looks like...i would also check that air filter....if your truck has an exhaust break soot can build up increaseing resistence.

Potchkins
03-19-2007, 10:39 PM
you have a 2000-2002 24v. That is the heater grid power leads
(aka glow plugs) ie. wait to start light... msg me back for more
hope i can help