PDA

View Full Version : Tandem or single axel?

mountaineer
03-03-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm looking at 14' enclosed trailers. Not sure whether I need tandem or single axel. I am going for brakes.
I'll have 1 Walker in it, 2-3 push mowers plus the regular other stuff, so usually 2000 lb's or less.

Will a single axel be a smooth enough ride? My dad's saying I NEED a tandem, but the different trailer dealers are saying single is ok.
Gas consumption and commuting a winding highway are issues here.
Thanks!

pclawncare
03-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Well with a single 3500# axle you will be pushing your limit just with that because you have not only 2000 pounds of payload but you have a trailer that i would guess is close to 1000 pounds so that leaves you 500 pounds.. I mean i dont know how much the trailer will weight because mine has 4' mesh sides but especialy if you are going to be traveling on the highway which you dont think you will now but think future also what happens if you get another walker or a big walk behind you will be over your gross weight. 2 yr ago i was in your spot looking for a 12 single axle i had one walker and a 36" walk behind anyway i decided to spot up the extra money i went 7x16' and 2 yr later i got a 61" grasshopper and 2 walkers i would never be able to cary my grasshopper and a walker on a 12' trailer much less a single axle. If i were you you have to decide if you are still looking to grow look toward the future you know where you wana go i knew i wanted to grow so i went bigger. at the time i didnt think id ever fill the trailer up and now i wish i had a 18'. So in my opinion i would go with a tandem axle 14' not that much more money when you think about if you want to carry more weight you will have to sell it for a loss and buy a new one. For me speaking from experience come up with a few hundred dollars and go with a tandem 7'x16' with brakes on both axles and with walkers i can personaly tell with a tandem axle you will want a dove tail because walkers ground clearance is so low that the angle of the gate from ground to trailer is often too sharp and i end up rubbing the bottom which i dont like but its what i have to do. Not gettig a dove tail is the only thing i wish i would have done differently if you have any other questions id be glad help you out. O one last think i went for a treated wood floor i think it cost me like 60 bucks more but that beats the hell outa replacing the floor if you look at the price of wood now days

JRS Landscaping
03-04-2007, 12:02 PM
tandem all the way singles suck for nething over 12ft

Lynden-Jeff
03-04-2007, 12:06 PM
If its enclose, it should be tandem IMO no matter what length. I would go 2 5000 lb axles for a 14 footer.

Cheers
Jeff

mountaineer
03-04-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm really confused then.
Any idea why Haulmark, pace and Continental are trying to under-sell me?? I told them I needed a 14' enclosed that could handle 2000+/- pounds on the highway, and all steered me away from tandems, even though there were tandems sitting on the lot.
The Haulmark dealer specifically stated that their single axel trailer handles as well as a tandem (transport dlx model).

C. MOORE LAWNS
03-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Like many said above, I'd go with the tandem. You always know you should/will get more customers and will be upgrading mowers one day most likely and will need the extra room. Definately worth the extra $$$

pclawncare
03-04-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm really confused then.
Any idea why Haulmark, pace and Continental are trying to under-sell me?? I told them I needed a 14' enclosed that could handle 2000+/- pounds on the highway, and all steered me away from tandems, even though there were tandems sitting on the lot.
The Haulmark dealer specifically stated that their single axel trailer handles as well as a tandem (transport dlx model).

Not a clue man. I do know that a single axle will tend to swing side to side with an uneven load and could cause a wreck at high speeds or for that slower speeds i dont believe that a single axle will handle just as good. I dont know why they would not try to sell you the more expensive trailer. I know i would def go for tandem with brakes on both axles on an enclosed. Since it is enclosed i would guess it weights 1500 conservativly so with 2000 pounds you are maxed out i personaly dont like to max my stuff out even if i know it can handle that much. Just like a truck they say a 1500 can pull 10000 but if you are pulling it every day id so much rather have 3/4 get what i mean? hope it helps

lawnspecialties
03-04-2007, 07:08 PM
I have a 20' tandem (10,000 lb. capacity) and a 14' single (3500 lb. capacity).

On a typical run, the single axle will go out with one SuperZ, the Quick36, a 21" push mower, two backpack blowers, two trimmers, one edger, one hedge trimmer, and one backpack sprayer. I've run this trailer a year and a half and it has been one of the best trailers I've ever had. I run it a lot and just last month, had to replace the tires for the first time. The wheel bearings look like new.

If what you're saying you'll be carrying is all you'll have to deal with, get the single axle. Two less tires and one less axle means cheaper replacement costs and will tow with less resistance than a tandem. Tandems will also give you a stiffer ride so your equipment will bounce around more when the trailer is lightly loaded. On the negative side, everyone's right about weight limitations. Whenever I need to haul both SuperZ's or the tractor, I obviously have to opt for the big tandem.

Mike33
03-04-2007, 11:31 PM
You wont regret the tandem until you have to buy tires. Remeber that is what you are doing now my business changed 180 deg. in the past 10 years. You might need to haul something heavier later on and will have the trailer to handle it. Basicly trailers can last a long time tires, bulbs is your maintance and they usually start every time you need it.
Mike

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
03-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Get the single haulmark can upgrade to a 5200 # axle,with a tandem you will have a 6 inch or 8 trailer tong it's heavy have you got enough truck,i have a 6x14 haulmark with a single 5200, never had any problems.

lawnagent
03-05-2007, 10:36 AM
I had a single axle one time- I now have tandem axle and will NEVER go back. One big reason for me- has not been mentioned here. Have a blowout on a single axle enclosed at highway speeds and try to keep from flipping your truck! You will be lucky if you save it. Been there done that- so has my competitor in my town. Neither of us will EVER go single axle again.

KrayzKajun
03-05-2007, 10:44 AM
go tandem!! If you get a flat with a single axle you are screwed. at least with a tandem you can still get some wheres safe to change a tire, or wait till you get to your next account

TXNSLighting
03-05-2007, 01:14 PM
tandem, the only way to go!