PDA

View Full Version : Haulmark?

mountaineer
03-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Looking at these trailers. Wells cargo are too expensive, Haulmark seems more on budget.
Any pros/cons with them?

Are there reasonably priced rack systems for blowers and trimmers for inside?

Also wondering if there is a better system for tying down the mowers than the floor tie-downs. Seems like a pain.

Thanks for any ideas.

GreenN'Clean
03-03-2007, 05:24 PM
I bought a 6 x 12 enclosed Haulmark with floor tie downs and it held up without any problems but I sold it to get a bigger tailer. I got it for $2700 brand new with interior lights also

GG386
03-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Here's some buying/comparison tips:
8'X18'
Axles- torsion w/4" drop
Framing- 16o.c. walls and floor
Deck- 3/4 ply treated
Walls- 3/8 ply
Tie downs- floor (d rings) and sidewalls (e-track)
Gvw- 10,000#
Cargo door- 36"
Lighting- 4 w/switches
Roof hatch- 2
Annodized corner posts- front and rear
Stoneguard
One piece roof
Aluminum wheels

This was the trailer specs (plus a few more) that I based my purchase on this week. I looked at them all- Pace, Haulmark, Horton, Interstate, H&H just to name a few. Most units are basically the same, with a twist here and there just to throw you off.

Look at the standard features structural and cosmetic and see which one fits into your needs.

Personally, this is my last trailer, so I put the hammer down on it.

After about a month of driving around, e-mailing, web searching and talking to owners the winner is- CargoMate
Couldn't beat there pricing, especially if you use there "package" deals.

Eclipse
03-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Haulmark makes two different lines of trailer. One line is more price oriented and some of the quality is sacrificed. It may not necessarily be a bad trailer but just a little underbuilt IMO.

Haulmarks better line of trailers is a very high quality trailer.

Prestige-Lawncare
03-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Here's some buying/comparison tips:
8'X18'
Axles- torsion w/4" drop
Framing- 16o.c. walls and floor
Deck- 3/4 ply treated
Walls- 3/8 ply
Tie downs- floor (d rings) and sidewalls (e-track)
Gvw- 10,000#
Cargo door- 36"
Lighting- 4 w/switches
Roof hatch- 2
Annodized corner posts- front and rear
Stoneguard
One piece roof
Aluminum wheels

This was the trailer specs (plus a few more) that I based my purchase on this week. I looked at them all- Pace, Haulmark, Horton, Interstate, H&H just to name a few. Most units are basically the same, with a twist here and there just to throw you off.

Look at the standard features structural and cosmetic and see which one fits into your needs.

Personally, this is my last trailer, so I put the hammer down on it.

After about a month of driving around, e-mailing, web searching and talking to owners the winner is- CargoMate
Couldn't beat there pricing, especially if you use there "package" deals.

Your CargoMate sounds a lot like the Atlas trailer I am getting ready to buy. I decided to go with the LCD light package as well, which gives you a nice chrome wrap around the back also.

What kind of price was on yours if you don't mind me asking.

GG386
03-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Your CargoMate sounds a lot like the Atlas trailer I am getting ready to buy. I decided to go with the LCD light package as well, which gives you a nice chrome wrap around the back also.

What kind of price was on yours if you don't mind me asking.

Come to think of it, I did order the LED lights, 6" added height, annodized rocker panel, and the rear hoop also- my bad

By me for some reason, there must be 15-20 outlets for trailers of all kinds within a 20 mile radius- go figure. As you probably know, most trailers are made in your fine state or Georgia. It is a VERY competitive market, so a little wheeling and dealing will go a long way with your purchase- kind of like buying a new vehicle.

As to Atlas, I knew they where out there, but I was very comfortable in my research and one more player was just that- one more player. Sounds like you've done your homework, so if your dealer is stand up guy AND has an in house repair facility, (just in case) you should be good to go. The whole ball of wax out the door came to just under 7K, including all those damn fees:dizzy:

Given that my unit has overkill written all over it, but isn't image a part of a successful operation? Good luck on your hunt.

Metro Lawn
03-04-2007, 01:24 PM
I also went with a new 8x20 Atlas with the landscaper package (extra height, plywood on walls, roof vents, side vents, stronger rear ramp door, and extended tounge. Cost was $4899.00 new The Atlas seems to be as well made as my Cargo Mates. I guess we will see.

Az Gardener
03-04-2007, 01:24 PM
I recommend the first thing anyone do with a new enclosed trailer is get the best coat of wax on the thing asap.

I know everyone is anxious to get the inside done, I was too but if you don't you will regret it. I did not think to do that to mine so when it got dirty and I went to wash it the normal stuff came off fine but the road grime just wont without something like bug and tar remover. I have been told a good coat of wax out the door would have prevented that.

I would hope some of the better brands would send you on you way already waxed but I would at least ask the question. Mine is a Interstate and it did not come with any wax on it.

The trailer is just under 2 years old and I am also putting bracing under the plywood as the floor is spongy in some spots. The cables on the ramp door have just broken for the second time, the latch/lock on the side door has already been replaced, Misc. screws that look like rivets that hold the skin on have come out all over the trailer, one of the bolts that holds the latching mechanism on the ramp door has lost its nut inside the walls of the trailer. The tongue is also a pain to disengage it is always hanging up. I will spend the extra $$ up front next time.

GG386
03-04-2007, 03:14 PM
I also went with a new 8x20 Atlas with the landscaper package (extra height, plywood on walls, roof vents, side vents, stronger rear ramp door, and extended tounge. Cost was $4899.00 new The Atlas seems to be as well made as my Cargo Mates. I guess we will see.

Metro,

You made go to my office and look over my quote, I was under $6,400 with all the B******t fees, title blah, blah, blah. My bad AGAIN.

Well, it's like I said, definitely a buyer's market out there. Just take a look at your accounts for this year- probably a little giving to keep them. It's a sign of the times, but that's for another forum!

Prestige-Lawncare
03-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Come to think of it, I did order the LED lights, 6" added height, annodized rocker panel, and the rear hoop also- my bad

By me for some reason, there must be 15-20 outlets for trailers of all kinds within a 20 mile radius- go figure. As you probably know, most trailers are made in your fine state or Georgia. It is a VERY competitive market, so a little wheeling and dealing will go a long way with your purchase- kind of like buying a new vehicle.

As to Atlas, I knew they where out there, but I was very comfortable in my research and one more player was just that- one more player. Sounds like you've done your homework, so if your dealer is stand up guy AND has an in house repair facility, (just in case) you should be good to go. The whole ball of wax out the door came to just under 7K, including all those damn fees:dizzy:

Given that my unit has overkill written all over it, but isn't image a part of a successful operation? Good luck on your hunt.

Thanks for the reply so quick. The only thing you kinda missed on was my location. I am in central Indiana ... and so many of these (probably yours too) are made here in Indiana, most up in the Elkhart area.

My quote on the trailer I mentioned, which also includes the Torflex axles and radial tires, and adding two (2) side vents, was $5295.00 The vents on the sides are $45.00 a piece ... but I was replacing the roof vent with those, so I'm not sure what he really charged me (or credited me on the roof vent).

One thing for sure ... it's a nice trailer.

GG386
03-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the reply so quick. The only thing you kinda missed on was my location. I am in central Indiana ... and so many of these (probably yours too) are made here in Indiana, most up in the Elkhart area.

My quote on the trailer I mentioned, which also includes the Torflex axles and radial tires, and adding two (2) side vents, was $5295.00 The vents on the sides are $45.00 a piece ... but I was replacing the roof vent with those, so I'm not sure what he really charged me (or credited me on the roof vent).

One thing for sure ... it's a nice trailer.

Glad to help, but that avatar has got to go:laugh:

TPLawnPro
03-04-2007, 09:32 PM
I totally agree with the need for waxing the trailer, especially if it is white in color. I purchased a Haulmark 7' x 14' in white. When you begin noticing the black streakes running down the sides of the trailer, just washing the trailer alone will not get rid of them.

There is one product that I know of that will not ruin the paint while removing the black streaks. I use it, and it is called FLITZ - Flitz liquid polish to be more specific. It's not cheap, but if there is anything penetrating the paint on your trailer, the Flitz will remove it a whole lot easier than anything else out there. Believe me, I have tried it all.

Wash the trailer thoroughly, clean and polish it in sections using the Flitz, and then wax & seal.

As for the trailer's overall durability and reliability, it has held up very well.

Petr51488
03-04-2007, 10:21 PM
I totally agree with the need for waxing the trailer, especially if it is white in color. I purchased a Haulmark 7' x 14' in white. When you begin noticing the black streakes running down the sides of the trailer, just washing the trailer alone will not get rid of them.

There is one product that I know of that will not ruin the paint while removing the black streaks. I use it, and it is called FLITZ - Flitz liquid polish to be more specific. It's not cheap, but if there is anything penetrating the paint on your trailer, the Flitz will remove it a whole lot easier than anything else out there. Believe me, I have tried it all.

Wash the trailer thoroughly, clean and polish it in sections using the Flitz, and then wax & seal.

As for the trailer's overall durability and reliability, it has held up very well.

Where did you buy your wax? I have a black enclosed trailer. It gets washed every week and looks great. I was looking for a wax, but the one i tried, in one spot, left a faded looking mark. I assume theres a special wax for aluminum trailers?

Prestige-Lawncare
03-04-2007, 10:32 PM
Glad to help, but that avatar has got to go:laugh:

:laugh:
I understand ... at least where you are coming from. BUT ... we must admit ... this was the year for the Colts. Peyton and Dungy have missed a couple of times ... but it was just a matter of time. It's just that the Colts all came together right around playoff time, and they played championship ball in all of the games. Stout defense, run the ball, stop the run and the pass.

Couldn't have been two better coached teams though!

Prestige-Lawncare
03-04-2007, 10:44 PM

You can go to WalMart (or about anywhere really), go to the automotive area and look for the RV section. There is some stuff there that I believe is simply called "Black Streak Remover". I use it on my 5th wheel camper, and it works great. The camper has a fiberglass exterior, but I don't think that matters really.

All that said ... still, the coat of wax is a good idea. Also, just grab a brush with a long handle, a 5 gallon bucket of soapy water and keep it clean. It takes no time really ... and good clean equipment says a lot about a company. To me ... it's a lot about image ... and about quality of workmanship.

TPLawnPro
03-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Where did you buy your wax? I have a black enclosed trailer. It gets washed every week and looks great. I was looking for a wax, but the one i tried, in one spot, left a faded looking mark. I assume theres a special wax for aluminum trailers?

That's a plus for you if you have a black trailer. The black streaks just fade in. I am using a Mother's brand carnuba wax. Be sure to polish the trailer before you wax it. Again, this is where the Flitz comes in handy. It serves as an excellent polish.

You may be dealing with some oxidation. Regardless, polishing first should solve the problem. It's amazing what polishing alone will do.

http://www.metalwax.com/index.htm

GG386
03-04-2007, 11:47 PM
Prestige,
You are 100% correct, the BEST team took it, hands down. Now if we can get our trailers to do as well, we're in like a burglar :drinkup:

TP,
Great link, placed an order a few minutes ago. Looks like the key is to stay up with it before all that oxidation gets a foot hold on the finish.

TPLawnPro
03-05-2007, 12:26 AM
TP,
Great link, placed an order a few minutes ago. Looks like the key is to stay up with it before all that oxidation gets a foot hold on the finish.

Glad you liked it. Instead of using the green metal cleaner, I use the Flitz polish to clean and polish. All of the other Metal Wax products, such as the Metal Wax itself, have worked out really well.