PDA

View Full Version : Negotiating Proposals?????????????????

S&M Lawn Care
03-03-2007, 05:10 PM
On commercial proposals do you guys ever put something like how the bid can be "negotiable"? So they can give there opinion on a price they think is more reasonable? I'm just wondering

lawnspecialties
03-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Nope. Every now and then they might call me to discuss pricing and maybe we can "give and take" on some areas. But as long as my bids are competitive and I stilll make a justified profit, that's it.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
03-03-2007, 06:11 PM
For mowing no, but on landscaping we put in at the bottom that the price can vary by as much as +/- 10% depending on soil conditions. This is mainly when where doing a big job and the customer says they don't know whats under the ground as far as roots or whatever. If it wasn't for this clause I'd have lost my a$$ on a job in January, customer said unsure of what was in the ground and as it turned out someone used it to dump old asphalt and tin. We had to use a backhoe to dig the holes for plants and customer had to sign a waiver saying no warranty after we leave due to what was in the ground.

ed2hess
03-03-2007, 06:56 PM
TruGreen puts in their bids that they will meeT and other bid lower that theirs.

LwnmwrMan22
03-04-2007, 09:40 AM
I only put in options are negotiable.

Such as if the customer wants to have 4 rounds of fertilizer instead of 3, or 2 apps of chemicals instead of 1.

Pricing on each individual item is not negotiable.

LB1234
03-04-2007, 09:43 AM
I provide a cover letter and in the cover letter I let them know that we can tailor the contract to their needs. For instance, we just had a customer contact us and ask if we perform weeding of mulch beds on a hourly basis when she requests instead of once a month for x amount of dollars.

I simply changed the wording in the contract and received a signed contract within a half an hour.

However, I would not place the word negotiable in their...that to me is saying we can negotiate the price...which I will not do.

Duekster
03-04-2007, 09:48 AM
On commercial proposals do you guys ever put something like how the bid can be "negotiable"? So they can give there opinion on a price they think is more reasonable? I'm just wondering

I try and get most of this done before I bid the job. You want to know if they are really bidding or checking prices to negotiate with the current vendor.

Will they tell you outright, no, you have to read body language and get a feel for people.

I often ask what is the biggest concern you have with the current program. If price is the only problem they you have a problem.