PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate trouble!!!

4curbappeal
03-03-2007, 08:17 PM
I have a '98 GMC 2500 Sierra. Any one had problems with their tailgate on similar trucks? I had mine come completely off last night and its all scratched to hell! Thank goodness no one was hurt! Anyone one have ideas on replacing, fixing or putting a net style tailgate or aftermarket tailgate with the louvers? I am still PO'd, but I guess it could have been worse! Thanks!!

pclawncare
03-03-2007, 10:40 PM
A buddy of mine has around a 99 or 2000 gmc step side 1500 z 71 and he was driving down the road and his tail gate came off except for one of the cables man it beat it all to h*** befor he could get slowed down

Lynden-Jeff
03-03-2007, 11:43 PM
How does it just come off? I have a 98 ram and it seems like my tail gate is on very good. I can't imagine it just coming off and hanging by one of the support cables.

4curbappeal
03-04-2007, 12:16 AM
How does it just come off? I have a 98 ram and it seems like my tail gate is on very good. I can't imagine it just coming off and hanging by one of the support cables.

It wasn't hanging by one support cable. It snapped both cables and was skidding down the road! I have no idea what happened!!! It never seemed to open or close very well. I think GMC and Chevy have had recalls on this, but I bought the truck used. Any ideas for a relacement like a net or aftermarket tailgate? This tailgate is BAD and I'm not going to spend the $ to have it fixed.

Tahoe1889
03-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Call a GM Dealer see if your VIN had the Gate supports Replaced. They have a Recall on the tailgate supports. You might be able to get a new one for Free.

Raven386
03-04-2007, 01:37 AM
those Bully mesh tailgates suck. my buddy got one and it broke when something slid into it. but the only good thing is, Mythbusters proved that the mesh tailgate had created the best fuel economy!!!

GG386
03-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Just got a visual and a de ja vue. Same thing happened to me last summer- looked in my side mirror and seen that tailgate dragging behind my truck- no good. If this helps, my Ford did it. I will take some of the blame, the tailgate was down- but still:hammerhead: