PDA

View Full Version : help with trailer brake question???

milo
03-03-2007, 09:45 PM
i am going to buy a big 2 axle trailer and it has electric brakes on it.. anyone know how or what i need to hook them up? and can someone tell me if they have a button you hit to use them or what??? i know nothing about them so anyone that has it, help would be great. thank you

mslawn
03-03-2007, 10:26 PM
i am going to buy a big 2 axle trailer and it has electric brakes on it.. anyone know how or what i need to hook them up? and can someone tell me if they have a button you hit to use them or what??? i know nothing about them so anyone that has it, help would be great. thank you
You wire up a controller and when you hit your brakes they work. The controller will have a sensitivity switch on it. I put brakes on everything, even little single axle trailers. There is no excuse not to have them.

milo
03-03-2007, 10:45 PM
ok so i buy a electric brake, that mounts to my dash right?? then what other do i need to mount so it knows im on the brakes??? or is there a button on the electric brake that i hit to get them to work???
i know these are dumb questions but i know nothing about them.. thanks

D Felix
03-03-2007, 10:59 PM
Sounds to me like you need to find someone to install your brake controller for you, then show you how to use it... The brakes are already on your trailer, you need a controller that will sense your foot on the brake pedal (via your brakelights), the controller will then electrify the brake line and engage the trailer brakes. Get a good, digital controller. Most of your aftermarket truck shops will be able to install them, as well as many of the trailer sales places as well.

I'm glad I'm not going to be anywhere near PA for a while... :waving:

milo
03-03-2007, 11:06 PM
hi ok so it works off my brake lights then???? i know about the electric brake i need to buy and mount on dash and i know the trailer has the brakes on already but i just wanted to know how it got the feed for power to apply the brakes, meaning another switch on the brake pedal or what.
so if all it works off of is the brake lights that cool and easy then to hook up.

D Felix
03-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Yes, it gets the signal from your brake light circuit.

If your truck is new enough (depends on make/model and what was installed at the factory), there's probably already a spot in the wiring harness for a brake controller to plug into. Going to a shop that installs them is the way to go; they will know exactly what you need and get it installed a lot faster than you (or I) could.

Atlantic Lawn
03-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Milo CK your PM....Steve

milo
03-05-2007, 10:18 PM
hi ok got my answers. way easy to hook up compaired to what i though thanks for the info. now to fine a trailer