PDA

View Full Version : Best floor for a trailer

matthew horner
03-04-2007, 12:32 AM
Tonight I bought a floor for a 16 foot trailer frame.

I spent $200 on 2x12x16's treated.

Is there a better option?

I've heard it is ok to use untreated lumber as long as its not contacting the ground. If this is true, I'll do it.

Any ideas here?
Matthew

Jason Rose
03-04-2007, 12:40 AM
Yes untreated for that is ok, and you can paint the topside or even apply water sealer, but treated is the way to go. Will last a lot longer treated.

A steel deck (diamond tread plate) is great! But waaaayyy heavy for a lawn equipment trailer.

When you install it, get it as tight as humanly possible. It will shrink up like mad and you will end up with gaps. If you start with gaps you will loose a foot in the cracks once the wood drys!

Lynden-Jeff
03-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Hey,

Treated is fine, untreated is also fine. Wood doesn't really rot that fast, even if you left it outside for a few years I doubt it would be rotted enough to lose strength or even be noticeable. You can always treat the top of untreated wood to help with waterproofing. Ive heard mesh floors sag and rust, imo wood is fine and dandy AND cheap to replace.

Cheers
Jeff

blackandgold
03-04-2007, 12:49 AM
An all aluminum trailer is lighter, can carry more, never needs painting, can't rust, and always looks great. Sure it costs more, but there nothing else to maintain on it. If you are planning on keeping it for a couple of years, you will be money ahead.