PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions on this situation Please

troblandscape
03-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Ok, I currently own a Landscaping Business with roughly 120 weekly accounts. A friend I went to high school with had 15 lawns he would do while in high school. When he graduated High School and went to college he asked me if I would do the lawns for him while he was at college and he would do the while on summer break I said ok. So I would get about 14 cuts a year from each of his accounts. Now this has been going on for about 6 years and last year I ended up doing them all year because he got another job. So anyway I have built good relationships with all his customers and they are happy with my service. So anyway the guy sent me a proposal and want 1900$ from me to buy the lawns. I called him and said I was surprised because I basically keep his lawns up so he could come back from college and make money in the summers, sure I made money as well but I thought he was just going say that I could have them since hes now an engineer. His response was really rude and said well obviously I not just going to give them away. Well I did his parents lawn for free for 3 years and I expected as little more courtesy from this dude and I know I could get everyone of his accounts without paying a dime because the majority said we did a better job anyways. So what do I do, I like to keep my nose clean, and actually dont even need these accounts the only reason I am thinking twice is because the are all very close (8 in a row) and its fast $$$. I asked him if it was a registered business and he said no,.. so if I did purchase I couldnt even write it off. Let me know what you think. Thank You

Raven386
03-04-2007, 10:50 PM
send him a bill for 3 years of lawn mowing at his house! plus late fees.

Raven386
03-04-2007, 10:55 PM
he doesnt "own" the customers. even if he sells them to someone else, doesnt mean they are going to go along with that, especially if they have built up a relationship with you. if he stills fights about it tell him you will report him for doing business without being legit, or tell him you will give him $500 . even if you kept all the customers for one more year, youd still make money off them. im going to assume theyd stay with you longer than 1 more year. so i guess in the end, if it was me, the accounts were easy and it was easy $$$ they paid on time. id probably pay him something, not 2K but something.

procut
03-04-2007, 11:36 PM
If you don't mind losing him as friend, tell him to get lost. From the sounds of it you can probably get most, if not all of those accounts without giving him anything.

Also, if these are just average residential lawns, $1900 seems high for 14 of them. Plus, he probably doesn't have a contract with any of them, so selling them to someone else is going to be difficult for him.

jcantrell
03-05-2007, 12:06 AM
Give the customers a service agreement from your company. Once they sign it now they are your customers.

Uranus
03-05-2007, 12:13 AM
Tell him to get bent!

grassmanak
03-05-2007, 10:01 AM
unless he has contracts for all the years you have been doing it i would tell him to eat your nutZ

DaughtryLC
03-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Does not sound like a friend TO ME!:confused:

GreenN'Clean
03-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Give the customers a service agreement from your company. Once they sign it now they are your customers.

That will def work!!

StBalor
03-05-2007, 11:48 AM
When you were cutting these lawns for your friend, who recieved the money? Did the customer pay him then he paid you? Did the customer pay you directly? If the customer is paying you directly the lawns are already yours. your friend let these properties go when he did not come back and take over like previously agreed.
Did your friend have these people sign any service agreements? my guess is no. Just have them sign a simple service agreement and continue mowing the lawns.
My cousin and i had a similar situation one time. We both were cutting in the same community and i got hired at a new house. He came by and asked why i was cutting one of his yards? i said the lady stopped me one day and asked if i would cut her lawn so i started working for her, so i did.
He was a little pissed at 1s but we got passed it. It has happened a few times over the years, i do not know all the houses he does nor him mine.
It's just business.

Uranus
03-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Your asking this question and still calling him "FRIEND"?

Another reason why friends, family, and money dont mix.

Woody82986
03-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Getting bent would be the despcription of what I would reccommend he do.

troblandscape
03-05-2007, 12:45 PM
The customers paid me directly, I want to make something clear he was more of an acquaintance than a true friend. Keep the input coming and I will decide exactly how I am to play this one out by this Friday.

StBalor
03-05-2007, 03:56 PM
The customers paid me directly, I want to make something clear he was more of an acquaintance than a true friend. Keep the input coming and I will decide exactly how I am to play this one out by this Friday.

Then they are your lawns, not his

supercuts
03-06-2007, 08:46 AM
id tell him,he might give it, i dont take in the rear