PDA

View Full Version : Would you hire an overweight person?

jcantrell
03-05-2007, 04:35 PM
As a business owner who does the interviewing of potential employees, would you consider an applicant that is overweight. Could someone who is out of shape handle a walk behind all day everyday.

mulchmaster
03-05-2007, 04:54 PM
How over weight is over weight? At 260 lbs I am, on paper, over weight but I can work circles around everyone I have hired lately. I guess it depends on the situtation.

gavinslawncare
03-05-2007, 04:55 PM
I would Just because myself am overwieght iam willing to try a person if will to work. I dont think its his weight but his work ethic just my 2 cent

THEGOLDPRO
03-05-2007, 05:18 PM
all depends on how well he works, maybe you will help him out and help him lose the weight.

gmcplowtruck
03-05-2007, 05:25 PM
i my self am overwieght but i can still work longer and harder then most the employees youll find
you cant judge a book by its cover his weight shouldnt be a problem

now if you walk with him arond your shop and hes out of breath then yeah he might not work out

Vikings
03-05-2007, 05:58 PM
As a business owner who does the interviewing of potential employees, would you consider an applicant that is overweight. Could someone who is out of shape handle a walk behind all day everyday.

You offended all the Fat people:laugh: :drinkup:

GreenN'Clean
03-05-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm 6'0 and weigh 225 lb and nowhere near overweight and I would hire an overweight person as long as they are a legal citizen and did there work.

jcantrell
03-05-2007, 07:41 PM
I wasn't trying to offend anyone. I was just curious what others opinions were. I too would give a big guy a chance, I have a few freinds that used to be big(fat) but they have now slimmed down and are the strongest pound for pound guys I know.

I think it would be interesting to have a "biggest loser" contest on lawnsite.

grassmanak
03-05-2007, 07:49 PM
i guess it depends on what you mean by overweight. is he 400lbs and has to stop walking after a few steps, then no, does he have a slight beer gut, then probably no big deal

Edgewater
03-05-2007, 08:11 PM
I had a guy that came to work and was over weight. he had not worked outside for many years. He lasted 3 months with me, but had a hard time coming in after a long day. The next company he was at, he lasted the rest of the season. He has been with another company for two years now and has lost the weight and doing great.

Be prepared to be patient for a while, or you will usually wear them out.

Eclipse
03-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Being a fat guy myself I feel I can ask this question. Do you think fat people present a bad image for the company? Just something to think about....

Lynden-Jeff
03-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Yep I would, I am 280 my self and am in this profession to hopefully knock that down by the end of the summer to 220. I would consider most ppl.

Cheers
Jeff

StBalor
03-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Well i am 6'3" and 350lbs. Been doing this for many years. Went through 2 helpers last year and a few family members over the years cause they could not keep up.
Should say though i have been working outside most of my life, carpenter, roofer And tree climber. But over the years since i gained so much weight, i try to avoid hieghts. I just land way to hard.

cpel2004
03-05-2007, 09:19 PM
I would have to ask the person to go and get a physical. Here's a real life scenario. My buddy had a guy, who had ceasers and one day he was weedeating a large community. Well he had an attack and he fell into the lake. His boss went around looking for him, he couldn't find the guy any where, until he saw someone floating in the lake face down. Well you know what happened after that, the attorneys got involved, and they started calling for investigations in to my buddy's work policies and procedures. They eventually settled out of court. My buddy told me he had a good chance in loosing his case due to the fact he didnt have any procedures in place for his employees ie. Didn't require them to get a physical, didnt list job requirements, medical illness etc.

mulchmaster
03-05-2007, 10:20 PM
If greenncleen is 225 then I must be right on, at 6'1". JK LOL :weightlifter:

dchauling
03-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Are you guys all getting pulled by gravity more than usuall?

Mow Mony
03-06-2007, 02:13 AM
Well i am 6'3" and 350lbs. Been doing this for many years. Went through 2 helpers last year and a few family members over the years cause they could not keep up.
Should say though i have been working outside most of my life, carpenter, roofer And tree climber. But over the years since i gained so much weight, i try to avoid hieghts. I just land way to hard.

350lbs high up in a tree?
I would pay to see that! Just giving you hard time though, I always see skinny dudes climbing the trees though

On the post though, I would say give the big guy a chance...

Every worker I have hired has been overweight when they started. They looked at the work as a way to get outside earn money and get in shape. I didn't go out looking for big guys, and at first was like this aint gonna work, but i gave each one a chance and it worked out well for our company and the employee.

First guy was 275 or so dropped around 40 lbs in one summer with us, when we did push mowing only, left after he finished his degree to a good paying desk job he hates and gained most of the weight back....

Other guy hired at the same time was around 185 but overweight , he is now around 145 and in great shape, but he works out as well, still with us now...

Second guy, around the same weight 275, absolutly horrible diet, still lost 25lbs just by being active, great worker too, still with us now...

New worker hired last week, probably around 210-220 should be around 180, I will work it off of him...

I think bigger guys appreciate the hard work because they know they are getting in shape and they can see the results, I have had good luck with all the ones I have hired, none of the problems were weight related, and having big guys helps when you are trying to load hevay stuff, pull out evergreen bushes etc...

topsites
03-06-2007, 03:14 AM
While I do suspect overweight folks as being themselves at least somewhat responsible for the problem, my own experiences have taught me that life can throw apparently random curveballs our way at such odd angles and with such tremendous force that it can take decades of determined effort to overcome these obstacles, if one can even manage to do so in a lifetime.

Seeing how certain afflictions such as alcoholism can present an inherent danger at work, there are certain issues which can affect overweight folks as well, but being of a sober mind is by far the more preferred method of dealing with said issues.

So, unless it's a case belonging to the Guinness Book of World Records, I can not see any reason why an overweight person shouldn't be allowed to perform work-related duties such as which might apply to lawn care.

crawdad
03-06-2007, 05:55 AM
I wouldn't even want to see the furrow plowed into a lawn, caused by 350 pounds on a single wheel velke.
Let alone the damage done to my truck seat, by their big old butt.

Two good reasons not to hire right there.

Is it legal to say, "I'm not hiring you, because you're fat."

jcantrell
03-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Good point MJ's Lawn about big guys being able to load heavy stuff. Some of the guys I have worked with look strong but when you need their help lifting it feels like I'm carring all the weight.

I appreciate all the feedback, and have always thought the desire to work and the persons work ethic are the most important.

Shades of Green LService
03-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Would you hire her?

MSS Mow
03-06-2007, 08:08 PM
I wouldn't even want to see the furrow plowed into a lawn, caused by 350 pounds on a single wheel velke.
Let alone the damage done to my truck seat, by their big old butt.

Two good reasons not to hire right there.

Is it legal to say, "I'm not hiring you, because you're fat."

Obviously you've never had a weight problem. How would you feel if you were denied a job based on your looks, without given the chance to perform the job?

cut-1
03-06-2007, 08:23 PM
When I was foreman of a large franchise lawn service, In my 2 1/2 years we had very few fat people.. (that's right , fat, politically incorrect) , but the ones we had, served a great purpose. You should give them a chance, because half of them were just collecting a check, while the other half was there to prove something and that half did! best working bunch of fat boys ever!

crawdad
03-07-2007, 07:29 AM
Obviously you've never had a weight problem. How would you feel if you were denied a job based on your looks, without given the chance to perform the job?

Obviously, you do.
Can you tell me what happens when a very large person gets on a one-wheel velke?

I have been denied a job, based on my looks. At the final interview, I was told that I would have to cut my hair, which I keep in a ponytail, and shorten my beard, because the company, a custom piano and organ manufacturer, worked in churches. Funny thing is, I look like the people in the religious movies. I respectfully declined the job, although most woodworkers would do anything for such an opportunity.