PDA

View Full Version : Parking Lot Isolation Valve


PurpHaze
03-06-2007, 12:03 AM
Went out on an isolation valve replacement today that should have been pretty straight forward.... NOT!!!

First, ran into gas line marking tape. Then found out that the 2-1/2" main line had been reduced to 2" the first 10' where it takes off from a 3" main line. Oh well... jettison the Dresser couplings, use reducer bushings and just glue the damn thing on as space was quite limited. :)

koster_irrigation
03-06-2007, 08:43 AM
pretty work! Did you not end up using the dresser couplings? I guess it was easier to use the 2.5" 90's

PurpHaze
03-06-2007, 09:15 AM
When I saw that it was a 2" line here I decided to go the route of the 90's on the RW valve and glue the whole thing on. (A 2-1/2" RW valve really doesn't weigh that much.) This also allowed us to push the valve away from those lateral lines and gain some room since the RW valve has a bigger profile than the original ball valve. There is also a 2" line tucked behind the smaller lateral lines in the picture that was used as a wire chase and there is so much concrete, road base and other trash that we thought we'd be pushing our luck (coupled with the gas line) digging out any more. Also, you can't see it but 2" past the coupling installed on the one end the main converts to 2-1/2" and dives down on a 90 on its way under the parking lot. I could have also scrapped the project for the present time and ordered a 2" RW valve but we were all set up with barracade cones and such that I just wanted to get it done.

Dirty Water
03-06-2007, 11:38 AM
I wanted to do that one, why didn't you wait for me to fly down :D

PurpHaze
03-07-2007, 08:22 AM
You could have been a "guest lecturer" but it had to be done ASAP. With the weather staying so warm I imagine it will be less than a week and we'll be instructed to turn all the controllers on for the season. Once that happens we'll be constantly backed up with work orders. :)

PurpHaze
03-07-2007, 08:28 AM
Forgot to add Jon... I basically turned this project over to Leo. He secured all the parts (based on what we initially thought we'd run into), put together the RW valve and flanges and had 2-1/2" pipe already glued on in anticipation that we'd just have to dig it up and cut in the valve with the Dressers. That way the water could go right back on. When we ran into the layout we did I had Leo figure out how we'd go about setting the valve. I want him to gain as much experience with these main line problematic repairs as possible so that when I leave he'll have no problems. Leo's doing an excellent job! :clapping:

Bobcat s250 NY
03-08-2007, 01:20 AM
Purp You get into some crazy repair work..... Looks good

PurpHaze
03-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Thanks... I may post our latest "repair" job meaning "rip the original out and do it over." :)