PDA

View Full Version : Lesco Vs Halts

Joey'sVee
03-06-2007, 01:31 PM
I found some Lesco Pre-M at home depot and bought the 48 lb bag. I noticed the Lesco and the Halts (both without Nitrogen) had the same active ingredient but the Halts had a higher percentage of it. With that said why do some many people on this forum tell you to buy Lesco? Is it because they sponsor this site?

This

http://www.lesco.com/?PageID=27&ItemNumber=023961

vs

http://www.scotts.com/media/media/pd...bels/Halts.pdf

Thanks for the help everyone! I'm new to the site and I know y'all are pro's so hopefully I'm not asking stupid questions. :)

DiyDave
03-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Go to a lesco warehouse for your lesco products, then you don't have to pay Home Cheapo $3.00 more per bag for the same product!

Joey'sVee
03-07-2007, 12:59 PM
So if they have the same ingredient but Halts is stronger why does everyone say get the Lesco at home depot instead of the Halts?

I thought I would get lots of responses on this thread. Wonder why nobody is responding...just curious. I bought and applied the Lesco but was surprised to see it was weaker than the Halts.

Thanks everyone!

Shades of Green LService
03-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Whats a bag of the scotts cost? Whats the % of Active ingredient in scotts. Your link doesn't work.
-Jay

Shades of Green LService
03-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Both are pendamethalin, probably the hardest pre emergent on grass roots and also pendi. Stains concrete. so make sure you have a blower or a broom ready.

Grassmechanic
03-08-2007, 10:45 AM
If you'd go back to to the posts, and re-read, I believe we (I) said to go to HD or Lesco and get something with DIMENSION. If HD doesn't have Dimension, go to LESCO. HD used to carry a lesco product with dimension, perhaps it is something diff this year, regardless, look for Dimension.

Jason Rose
03-08-2007, 11:01 AM
There's nothing wrong with pendimethlin. Actually it's a broader spectrum preemergent than Barricade, and by far Dimension (meaning that it actually works for more types of weeds, i.e. Foxtail, Sandbur, Spurge, ect.

Granular Pendi. does NOT stain concrete, yes it will stain your spreader and your shoes and socks, but that's only if you apply a lot of it during the course of a day. One bag isn't going to turn you yellow for life. Liquid Pendi. is prone to staining concrete and anything else because it actually contains paint as the colorant, why, I do not know. Just what I was told.

Pendi. dosn't last as long in the soil as Dimension or Barricade. I would suggest putting it on 2 times in the spring, roughly 8 weeks apart. The second round you could go with some fertilizer too if you see fit.

Grassmechanic
03-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Pendi has a well documented history of root pruning. Why anyone would want to put pendi on a turf once a year, let alone twice, is beyond me. The additional stress to the grass plant by root pruning is not something I'd want on a lawn during the summer when drought stress, insect, and disease pressures are at their highest. Dimension and Barricade were specifically developed to counter the shortcomings of Pendi and they are far superior products.

Joey'sVee
03-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Great info!

Does anyone have a link to where I can mail order a bag of the dimension?

Thanks!

Shades of Green LService
03-08-2007, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=Jason Rose;1740966]There's nothing wrong with pendimethlin. Actually it's a broader spectrum preemergent than Barricade, and by far Dimension (meaning that it actually works for more types of weeds, i.e. Foxtail, Sandbur, Spurge, ect.

Granular Pendi. does NOT stain concrete, yes it will stain your spreader and your shoes and socks, but that's only if you apply a lot of it during the course of a day. One bag isn't going to turn you yellow for life. Liquid Pendi. is prone to staining concrete and anything else because it actually contains paint as the colorant, why, I do not know. Just what I was told.

Pendi. dosn't last as long in the soil as Dimension or Barricade. I would suggest putting it on 2 times in the spring, roughly 8 weeks apart. The second round you could go with some fertilizer too if you see fit.[/QUOT

wasthinking liquid when typing about granular, My Bad.:sleeping:
-Jay

Grassmechanic
03-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Great info!

Does anyone have a link to where I can mail order a bag of the dimension?

Thanks!

Go to www.lesco.com. They have a store search feature. Find the one closest to you and go and pick it up. They sell to homeowners.

LwnmwrMan22
03-13-2007, 11:44 AM
To get back to the original post, as to using Lesco instead of Halts.....

The two main reasons that I use Lesco...

For one, the granular size is larger. This means when I'm trying to get a large amount of turf done, even on a slightly windy day, that I'm able to, with less drift.

Halts granular is just to small for my liking.

The second, is that with Lesco, the more you buy, the cheaper it is.

Lastly, I've had the best luck with Lesco w/ Dimension, so why change???

BUT, with that said, you're only doing your own lawn, so you're able to work around the wind, rain, whichever, so the granular size won't be a determining factor.

Also, you're only buying 1 bag, maybe 2, so the cost isn't going to change.

Now it just comes down to preference and or cost. If that's what your happy with, and it gets you the results that you're happy with, then it works for you.

It's no different than guys that drive a Ford, Chevy or Dodge. Sometimes it comes down to preference, maybe not anything legit, just a 'feel'.

Give the Halts a try. If you get the results you want, then stick with it. If not, then try the Lesco. If that doesn't work, try tracking down an actual Lesco store and try the Dimension.

Grassmechanic
03-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Lawnmwrman22 - there is a BIG difference between Halts (pendimethalin, Pre-M, whatever else you want to call it) and Lesco's with Dimension. It's an apples to oranges difference, not a chevy,dodge,ford difference. I've already addressed the differences in previous posts.

Joey'sVee
03-13-2007, 12:42 PM
I wasn't asking for the difference in Halts (Pend) and Lesco (Dimen). Home Depot sales Halts and Lesco both with Pend and I was asking the difference in those two.

When I first got on this site a week or so ago I was told to go to Home Depot and get the Lesco so I did and now I learn it's no better than the Halts because they both have Pend. I should have been told not to get the Lesco at Home Depot but instead go to Lesco store and get it and make sure it has Dimension in it.

Thanks for they replies! I’ve learned a lot from y’all and will continue to learn!

LwnmwrMan22
03-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Lawnmwrman22 - there is a BIG difference between Halts (pendimethalin, Pre-M, whatever else you want to call it) and Lesco's with Dimension. It's an apples to oranges difference, not a chevy,dodge,ford difference. I've already addressed the differences in previous posts.

I agree as a professional, but as a homeowner, putting it on their own lawn, if one works, there's no reason to change.

JoeyVee's - I reread your original post, and misread it the first time. I apologize.

I think the reason that you got "go to Home Depot and get the Lesco product" response may have been the fact that there's a Home Depot every 5 miles it seems like, and we know there's a Lesco product there.

I bet that if you went to the Pesticide / Fertilizer section of this forum and asked if you should buy the Lesco product at Home Depot, 90% of the guys there would say absolutely not, because of the fact that it's a "watered down" product.

I'm glad to see that you're one of the homeowners that takes the time to read the label, educating yourself to the fact that it's not the name on the bag, it's the percentage of active ingredient in the bag that you're after.

americanlawn
03-15-2007, 11:15 PM
LESCO just sells the stuff. They are a great company, and they offer several types of pre-emergent hebicides.

John Deere has recently purchased LESCO, and I will continue to give my business to them.

Best prices + great customer service.

"Nothing runs like a deere". The proof's in the pudding.

Jason Rose
03-15-2007, 11:41 PM
I thought I'd correct my own error here about the granular product NOT staining. It's been several years, plus a couple since I have used the stuff, and I learned a couple days ago that I was WRONG!! While it dosn't stain concrete, ect. it stains the heck out of your spreader, shoes, socks, and pants! My nine "new looking" lesco spreader isn't all nice and new looking now... Most came off in a bath, but I hate the yellow! (I used the pendi to treat a driveway and a couple lawns that receive no other fert or weed control).

DiyDave
03-20-2007, 04:01 PM
Regardless of which brand you use, Pendimethalin does stain. The yellow/orange color is the active ingredient. Best way to get it out of a spreader is to soak intermittantly in water, and hose off. If you have to scrape it out, remember to wear gloves and eye protection. If you have ever used the liquid form of pendimethalin, you know how bad a spill can stain anything-it will permanently stain spray tanks! As to the news that Jd is buying Lesco, I just got word that prices are going up, and all the fertilizer is going to be green and yellow pellets! (LOL):waving: :waving: :waving:

Grassmechanic
03-21-2007, 10:19 AM
One little tidbit that I forgot to add about Dimension. It can control crabgrass AFTER it has germinated, up to 3-5 tillers, with good control. That broadens your application window.

dwost
03-22-2007, 12:20 AM
I've been using Lesco for several years on my yard. I actually have an account set up at a local service center which works out very well for me. Personally I think Scotts is way over priced for what you get. I understand the ones you are comparing may have a higher active ingredient but in all actuality you can get stronger formulations at Lesco if you deem it necessary.

Personally I stick with Dimension and they have formulations from .07% - .21%. If you are a fan of Pre-M they have formulations from .86% - 1.5% so you have plenty of options. Do yourself a favor. Visit your local Lesco and have them give you a recommended application guide for your region. You won't be disappointed with the results. If I recall, I believe their formulations in the service centers also differ a bit from the ones for the box stores.

You be the judge of the results. This was taken two years back, early April after the initial app of Dimension (24-5-11) and after the 3rd cut of the season. It gets even better as the season rolls on :)

Joey'sVee
03-22-2007, 02:03 PM
What kind of grass is that?

dwost
03-22-2007, 05:25 PM
In this pic is was approx 75% KB and 25% p rye. I renovated it last fall and now should have almost 100% KB. I used Lesco Quality Blue Blend so we'll see how it turns out. I had very good germination in the fall and now it looks like it has really taken over so it should work out nicely.

LwnmwrMan22
03-22-2007, 07:45 PM
I've been using Lesco for several years on my yard. I actually have an account set up at a local service center which works out very well for me. Personally I think Scotts is way over priced for what you get. I understand the ones you are comparing may have a higher active ingredient but in all actuality you can get stronger formulations at Lesco if you deem it necessary.

Personally I stick with Dimension and they have formulations from .07% - .21%. If you are a fan of Pre-M they have formulations from .86% - 1.5% so you have plenty of options. Do yourself a favor. Visit your local Lesco and have them give you a recommended application guide for your region. You won't be disappointed with the results. If I recall, I believe their formulations in the service centers also differ a bit from the ones for the box stores.

You be the judge of the results. This was taken two years back, early April after the initial app of Dimension (24-5-11) and after the 3rd cut of the season. It gets even better as the season rolls on :)

Very nice dwost!!

Lost Pine
04-30-2007, 11:07 AM
I have found MUCH better results from Scott's Crabgrass preventer then Lesco too ! I have switched them back and forth for the last 3 years and Scott's WINS hands down. Now I must say Deminsion, Lesco Weed and Feed is better than Scott's....That's just my experience...

LOST PINE

So if they have the same ingredient but Halts is stronger why does everyone say get the Lesco at home depot instead of the Halts?

I thought I would get lots of responses on this thread. Wonder why nobody is responding...just curious. I bought and applied the Lesco but was surprised to see it was weaker than the Halts.

Thanks everyone!

dwost
04-30-2007, 11:46 AM
I have found MUCH better results from Scott's Crabgrass preventer then Lesco too ! I have switched them back and forth for the last 3 years and Scott's WINS hands down. Now I must say Deminsion, Lesco Weed and Feed is better than Scott's....That's just my experience...

LOST PINE

Maybe if you buy the box store formulation but I bet if you hit the Lesco service center and get one of their higher concentrations it will be role reversal again. Granted you will pay a bit more. I personally never found Halts to be very good at all. I used it for a couple years when we bought our first house but after using the Lesco products I won't go back. Personal preference and if it's working for you then keep it up. Post up some pics so we can check it out!!