PDA

View Full Version : Superchips tuner? Anyone have one?

mow king
03-06-2007, 05:59 PM
I'm thinking of getting one for my 05 f350.

Anyone have one?

Did you have good luck with it? Any problems?

Thanks!

lawnspecialties
03-06-2007, 06:07 PM
I have the Superchips Flashpaq 1805. In economy mode, I love it. Nothing crazy; but more like what the truck "ought" to run like.

In tow safe mode, I'm sort of "middle of the road". The engine does real well but the transmission just doesn't quite like it. It almost acts like it doesn't know what gear it wants to be in at average speeds.

I've never loaded "extreme" or "race" mode. That's not what I'm looking for.

If you don't have any other mods, I'd get an exhaust first. Lower EGT's are a necessity for towing and especially with a reprogrammer. Then expect to get some gauges as well to monitor those exhaust and trans. temps.:)

Snyderserv5060
03-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Check out http://www.dp-tuner.com/

DP-Tuner makes a multiple position chip and offers PCM reflashing. I would personally recommend this over superchips for your truck. I will be ordering a 5+ positon chip for my F350 in the spring. Jody at DP-Tuner knows the trucks well and can make the chips specifically around the customers needs.

Im going with something along the lines of stock, no start, hi idle, 40tow, 80tow, 80 economy and some higher/race setting. Check out dieselstop.com tons of people there run the DP chips and love them.

mow king
03-06-2007, 07:18 PM
I have the Superchips Flashpaq 1805. In economy mode, I love it. Nothing crazy; but more like what the truck "ought" to run like.

In tow safe mode, I'm sort of "middle of the road". The engine does real well but the transmission just doesn't quite like it. It almost acts like it doesn't know what gear it wants to be in at average speeds.

I've never loaded "extreme" or "race" mode. That's not what I'm looking for.

If you don't have any other mods, I'd get an exhaust first. Lower EGT's are a necessity for towing and especially with a reprogrammer. Then expect to get some gauges as well to monitor those exhaust and trans. temps.:)

I plan on putting on putting in the chip, an exhaust and gauges all in at once. I found a superchips used for about $100 and figured it was a good chip, id grab it.

lawnspecialties
03-06-2007, 08:37 PM
It is a good chip but, remember if you need service you have to take it out. Also in extremely cold temps., chips tend to create starting problems. Good Luck:)

mow king
03-06-2007, 08:59 PM
It is a good chip but, remember if you need service you have to take it out. Also in extremely cold temps., chips tend to create starting problems. Good Luck:)

I've got 100k miles on my truck...warranty is all but gone.

TXNSLighting
03-07-2007, 12:26 AM
i would pass on it... they arent the best out there. the bully dog is one of the best, you will get a solid 50 hp at the rear wheels with it, and thats perfect for towing, and you can go all the way up to 150 horse. i had a superchips in my 7.3 and wasnt that impressed. then slapped the bully dog on and was grinnin for weeks!

lawnspecialties
03-07-2007, 05:57 PM
i would pass on it... they arent the best out there. the bully dog is one of the best, you will get a solid 50 hp at the rear wheels with it, and thats perfect for towing, and you can go all the way up to 150 horse. i had a superchips in my 7.3 and wasnt that impressed. then slapped the bully dog on and was grinnin for weeks!

Yeh, but for $100, I'd give the chip a chance. Heck, if he doesn't like it, he could probably sell it for the same.

Mow King, if you're at 100K, I say go for it with no reservations at all.:weightlifter:

pclawncare
03-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Hey everyone i know some about truck but i have a question. I have alwase been wary of superchips or any other chips for that madder. A close friend of mine had an f 150 4x4 with either superchips or hypertech chip cant remember know it was one of those two. Anyway he had it on medium setting and after about a week on the chip his over drive light started flashing and his tranny started doing weird things. Anyway he found on the internet that f150 when the od light is flashing it means somethings wrong with the tranny he took it in to the shop and they told him it was a bad programer and ended up costing him over 800 bucks because they had to pull the tranny and do something. Anyway has anyone else has any problems with their transmissions especialy in the hopped up trucks that are pushing 150+ tuned up?

draftlawncare
03-07-2007, 06:14 PM

i had both the superchips and the bullydog tuners didnt really care for either one . i went with a custom chip and it puts all of the tuners to shame

Snyderserv5060
03-07-2007, 06:18 PM
I wouldnt recommend too much more then a 100hp + chip with a stock trans. Well unless your ok with the added wear.

Again, my vote is a custom chip... you wont regret it. DP-Tuner and a few others make a chip engineered around the truck and your needs. DP-Tuner is a popular choice on the ford diesel forums...I ditched my bully dog and im going DP-Tuner.

TXNSLighting
03-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Hey everyone i know some about truck but i have a question. I have alwase been wary of superchips or any other chips for that madder. A close friend of mine had an f 150 4x4 with either superchips or hypertech chip cant remember know it was one of those two. Anyway he had it on medium setting and after about a week on the chip his over drive light started flashing and his tranny started doing weird things. Anyway he found on the internet that f150 when the od light is flashing it means somethings wrong with the tranny he took it in to the shop and they told him it was a bad programer and ended up costing him over 800 bucks because they had to pull the tranny and do something. Anyway has anyone else has any problems with their transmissions especialy in the hopped up trucks that are pushing 150+ tuned up?

ive never heard that with a gas engine...they dont put out enough power to do that...you only get about 30 extra horse for an f 150. are you sure its an f 150?

pclawncare
03-07-2007, 11:44 PM
Ya im positive it was an f 150 with 35s i dont know if it was caused by the programer and they didnt rebuild the tranny there was some other problem but i never knew exactly what it was. Just wondering if anyone else has had any problems with them

lawnspecialties
03-08-2007, 11:26 AM
i had both the superchips and the bullydog tuners didnt really care for either one . i went with a custom chip and it puts all of the tuners to shame

On dieselstop.com, it seems the majority of guys like the SCT.

TXNSLighting
03-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Ya im positive it was an f 150 with 35s i dont know if it was caused by the programer and they didnt rebuild the tranny there was some other problem but i never knew exactly what it was. Just wondering if anyone else has had any problems with them

interesting. unless they changed them, they only had one setting, about 30 horse power. was it the 5.4?

Snyderserv5060
03-09-2007, 12:18 AM
lawnspecialties, post up there and ask opinions on the SCT... not to start anything over it but thats not the vibe ive gotten

cward76
03-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Was looking to buy a new chip for my 2001 Cummings HO. I was looking for more economy than horse power. Any recommendations on a plug and go chip.
Thanks cward76

TXNSLighting
03-09-2007, 05:52 PM
ive heard the SCT is pretty good.

TXNSLighting
03-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Was looking to buy a new chip for my 2001 Cummings HO. I was looking for more economy than horse power. Any recommendations on a plug and go chip.
Thanks cward76

you mean cummins? i like my bully dog alot. you can go to a dealer and they will let you try it before you buy it. edge makes a good one too.