PDA

View Full Version : Do you hang a flyer on a door with a No Solicitation sign?

Damian
03-06-2007, 06:17 PM
I've been putting out flyers for the past couple of days for my dad's company.

Last year, the service we used, put flyers on doors with No Solicitation signs. My mother received a a few irate calls and so we decided this year, we would not, even though, honestly, we don't view putting a flyer on a door or gate as solicitation.

You know what? It seems the yards that need mowing the most are yards with No Solicitation signs posted! We're starting to have second thoughts. At least on the *$*#! ones that look like they're cut out of newspaper print and pasted on the door just the the ******** can scream at the poor guy that rings the doorbell.

So, what do you guys do? Does your definition of solicitation include posting flyers or is it limited to making actual contact with a resident?

LTDLawnCare
03-06-2007, 06:39 PM
I have been going from neighborhood to neighborhood the past couple of days handing out flyers. I dont really care all that much about the no solicitation signs, if the nieghborhood looks like it could use a lawnmower i hang flyer anyway.

Precision
03-06-2007, 06:49 PM
yes.

I am not soliciting in the sense that angers most people. walk up hang a sign and leave.
total time 4 seconds.

they see the ad, pick up the ad, review it and make a decision
total time 10 seconds.

solicitors are Jehova's witnesses, and high pressure salesman which unless you are going door to door with a presentation, is not you.

Vikings
03-06-2007, 06:53 PM
What about if they have a sign that says No Flyers?

(I do)

Damian
03-06-2007, 06:58 PM

(I do)

Seriously?

We're thinking of getting a sign that says "No solicitors, but flyers are okay".

Grn Mtn
03-06-2007, 07:00 PM
why deal with the headache, if it says no soliciting don't hang one, if you really want to give them your biz than mail it to them.

gqnine44
03-06-2007, 07:01 PM

(I do)

You cant be serious. What kind of freak are you?

MSS Mow
03-06-2007, 07:59 PM
You guys are unbelievable!! You are trying to sell a service door to door, hence, a solicitation!!!!!! If they have gone thru the trouble of posting their door with a NO SOLICITATION sign, then, respect that. Talk about giving yourself a bad name.

I'm curious, what is your return rate on the "No Solicitation" properties???

Fantasy Lawns
03-06-2007, 08:14 PM
I learned to read in grade school .... so the answer is NO ... thou the word does refer to an "oral" contact

Hey John .... have a great Spring this year ;-) ....

Damian
03-06-2007, 09:10 PM
You guys are unbelievable!! You are trying to sell a service door to door, hence, a solicitation!!!!!! If they have gone thru the trouble of posting their door with a NO SOLICITATION sign, then, respect that. Talk about giving yourself a bad name.

I'm curious, what is your return rate on the "No Solicitation" properties???

As always, topics here seem to bring up differing opinions expressed in varying strengths...

I used to work for an organization that would ring/knock on doors in hopes of establishing a one-to-one relationship that would result in our coming away with a donation. To me, that was solicitation, and I can see how, even if the resident ignored our action and did not answer the door, a disturbance was caused on some level and that people could object to that. If a No Solicitation sign was posted, we did not knock/ring.

However, I am not selling a service. I am making a posible future customer aware of an offer in a manner that is not intrusive.

To answer your last question though: 100% success :laugh:

I saw a woman raking leaves in her yard today and as I've decided to do when people are out in front, I make contact with the person instead of just blindly going about my business of leavinge a flyer. We talked a bit, they were interested in how we do business, and we set up an estimate. It was then that I noticed there was a No Solicitation sign posted on the door.

If she hadn't been outside, I wouldn't have left the flyer and we wouldn't have gotten the sale (yes, we did get it and start next week).

I guess the real point here is that No Solicitation means different things to different people. Personally, I hate being disturbed and getting out of bed/easy chair to answer the door for someone offering services. On the other hand, I - well, not love, but enjoy - finding flyers that give me discounts for services that I might want, such as pizza.

The first time I see one of these people come out of their houses, I intend to ask them how they define No Solicitation. I don't think it will really matter, because again, different people are different...

ECS
03-06-2007, 09:27 PM
No!!!
What part of no do some of you not understand?

LTDLawnCare
03-06-2007, 09:37 PM
To put it to you this way, just yesterday I went around to a few different developements and knocked on doors looking for business. Not even 1/4 of the people answered thier door. I didnt expect many to be home because it was around 11 am on a weekday. Just from the twelve or so people that did open thier doors I have 4 prospective maintenance clients and 1 fertilizer app client. This was all in neighborhoods that had a "neighborhood watch" or "no Soliciting" sign at the beginning of the developement. Even if i dont get the clients it seems like a pretty good response rate and definately worth the hassle IMO. But, we all have different opinions.
Ryan

mojob
03-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Some of my best customers had a "No Soliciting" sign on their door when I hung my flyer. I've only received one cranky phone call out of thousands of flyers. I have a "No Soliciting" sign on my door, but I have no problem with getting fliers, and I'm sure most people feel the same way. The one or two people that might get pissed off, will get over it.

MSS Mow
03-07-2007, 07:08 AM
However, I am not selling a service. I am making a posible future customer aware of an offer in a manner that is not intrusive.

To answer your last question though: 100% success :laugh:

Yeah, you ARE selling a service. You are selling a service to what you hope to be a future client. If you think you're not selling a service, what are you selling?

100% rate of return on posted property for no solicitation? Too funny. I don't even have a response for that. :laugh: :laugh:

Precision
03-07-2007, 08:23 AM
I learned to read in grade school .... so the answer is NO ... thou the word does refer to an "oral" contact

Hey John .... have a great Spring this year ;-) ....

Thanks, I could use it.

Precision
03-07-2007, 08:29 AM
maybe I am deluding myself, I accept that.

but, to me. I have already made the investment to walk all the way to the door prior to seeing the sign. So the extra 2 seconds to hang the flyer is gonna happen.

I relate it to junk mail. they get solicitations that way, mine is no difference, 2 seconds and in the trash if that is how they feel.

However, I am not ringing the doorbell or calling them -- actually interrupting their life. And for those 2 or 3 that do get bent, they were most likely already bent and I provided them with a free outlet for their anger. :)

Damian
03-07-2007, 04:20 PM
No!!!
What part of no do some of you not understand?

Haven't you been reading? It's not the "No" thats being questioned, it's the meaning of the word Soliciting/Solicitation.

Anyway, I placed one flyer on a door today with a sign because I did not see it until I was walking back towards the street; the sign - about the size of my closed fist - was lying down in the jasmine bed...

Vikings
03-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Seriously?

We're thinking of getting a sign that says "No solicitors, but flyers are okay".

Yes and I get customers from these houses as well. I've had one phone call over the years to complain. I told them I would take their address of our list but I don't.

I myself love flyers but I hate people knocking on the door even more than I hate phone solicitors.

One of my long time customers (they work for the Winnipeg symphony, Violins) have three signs on their doors. No soliciting, no Flyers and No Religious Peddlars. We gave them a flyer and they've been my customer for 7 years.

gqnine44
03-07-2007, 06:18 PM
And for those 2 or 3 that do get bent, they were most likely already bent and I provided them with a free outlet for their anger. :)

Agreed.

The first rule of sales is to ignor the no solicitation signs.

Do you want to make friends or do you want to make money?

LindblomRJ
03-07-2007, 08:56 PM
http://www.thinkgeek.com/files/no-soliciting.pdf

This is not rocket science. No soliciting means stay the hell off my property. I don't care what you are trying to sell. If I want your service I will call you.
Being you cannot honor my request to not leave your silly little "flyer" on my door I will guarantee you will never get my business.

How difficult is that to understand?

gqnine44
03-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Being you cannot honor my request to not leave your silly little "flyer" on my door I will guarantee you will never get my business.

I wouldnt know until I tried. :)

knock, knock

LindblomRJ
03-08-2007, 08:26 AM
I wouldnt know until I tried. :)

knock, knock

I would offer to send to you school or make a phone call to a tutor to teach you to read. :)

Damian
03-08-2007, 04:37 PM
I left a flyer at a house that had a "No Solicitor" sign today. I mean, what the hell, I'm not a British attorney, so it must not apply to me, right? Or have I just been watching too damn many BBC shows...