PDA

View Full Version : Putting Brakes on a Single Axle

ScottsQLS
03-06-2007, 08:24 PM
i was wondering if there is anyone out there that has ever tryed to put or that has put brakes on to a single axle trailer? i have a 6.5 x 12 trailer and it sometimes gets to the point where when i have to slamed on the brakes that i can really feel it, so i was thinking about putting some brakes on the trailer.

just wondering if its a hard job or if its a pretty easy do it yourself job?
is there any kits out there that i can use?

if anyone could help me out with this that would be great, thanks guys

muddstopper
03-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Piece of cake. if you can pull the hubs and grease repack bearing, you can put on new set of hubs and brakes. 4 bolts in the backing plate that bolt to the axle. You will need to make sure your axle already has the flange welded on it to accept the brake backing plate. Wireing is simple, two wires, one ground and one hot, doesnt matter which you choose to make a ground, it will work either way. You will need to wire in a brake controller inside the truck. Directions come with the controller and are simple and easy to follow.

mattfromNY
03-06-2007, 09:10 PM
I have a PJ 6.5x 10 single axle trailer that came with a 3500 lb. brake axle. It only cost me $1200 new. I love having the brakes, I carry my Ferris IS2000 and Ferris 36" walker in the summer, and my Massey GC2300 tractor/ snowblower in the winter. The brakes have saved my a$$ several times on wet and snowy roads! I would never go back to a trailer w/out brakes.

Tadams
03-06-2007, 09:34 PM
You should be able to buy everything that you need at Northern Tool to put brakes on your trailer.

Jason Rose
03-06-2007, 09:37 PM
When you price the brake hubs and drums for this axle also price a whole new axle with brakes already installed. To buy them seperate and install them is usually about the same price as a whole new, preassembled axle! Iv'e searched and searched and found this to be the case most of the time, and I'm talking 5 to 10 bucks here difference at the most.

WIring is "somewhat" easy. The brake controler has to go in the cab of the truck, wires run through the firewall and one wire hooks to your corresponding brake pedal sensor wire. You will be advised to run a 12 gauge wire for the hot lead, from the battery all the way to the plug. Granted, you only have one axle, but this will ensure it works right for multi axle trailers too. If you don't have a 6 round of 7 round RV type plug on the truck/trailer you will need one of them. If you have a "newer" truck, many are prewired for brake controlers and all you have to do is plug and play. You will need your factory wiring harness or you can usually buy one that fits your make/model truck for around $20.

Overall you are looking to spend $350 to $400 tops for the setup.

For your application the "Voyager" controler would be quite suffuicient, you could get better though if you want too spend the money. (I ordered my controler from this site, they were about the cheapest I found + free shipping on the high end controlers http://www.brakecontroller.com/

I also ordered brakes from: http://shop.easternmarine.com/
Best prices I could find anywhere, local guy said the price I got from this site was less than his COST. I wouldn't order a whole axle online though, I'd imigine shipping would be a killer...