PDA

View Full Version : Geese problems

Dollar Spot
03-07-2007, 12:45 PM
I went to a seminar hosted by the ODNR about solving geese problems. They went over Ohio's regs and the general harassment techniques. Seems like the same old stuff, nothing new. Has anybody tried a technique that really works for you? It seems like it all boils down to timing and scaring them before they build their nest.

Has anyone used a product called FlightControl Plus, made by SePRO?

green_mark
03-07-2007, 01:11 PM
We are a sponsor of the web site and have a product called Goose Repel.

It works by disfavoring the grass and providing a lasting after effect that sticks in the memory of the goose so they don't come back.

This will not bother any animal that is not feeding on the grass but for those who do it is quite unpleasant.

Dollar Spot
03-07-2007, 02:48 PM
That sounds like the same sort of product as FlightControl Plus. Do you have any distributors in Ohio? What is the cost per acre?

Lugnut
03-07-2007, 11:28 PM
Best solution I've seen other than shooting them (yes, i know thats a no-no) is having a dog around to keep chasing them around until they leave for a more desireable habitat

rider
03-07-2007, 11:35 PM
flight control works but you must reapply every month
dog works the best, (if you can keep them from nesting that is half the battle)
course so does the truck when they won't get out of the road

Dollar Spot
03-08-2007, 02:19 AM
I don't mind hunting them durring the seasons. Of course it has to be on a bad day when there are no golfers out there.

I found out you have to be careful running the dog if they're nesting because if the dog damages the nest and you don't have a nest permit your in trouble. We have 120 acres with six lakes and ponds. You end up chasing them from lake to lake to lake all day long and unfortunately (it is fun) I and my staff have a few other things to do.

green_mark
03-08-2007, 08:24 AM
That sounds like the same sort of product as FlightControl Plus. Do you have any distributors in Ohio? What is the cost per acre?

We ship direct.

The cost per acre is $110.00

rider
03-08-2007, 08:29 AM
if your a golf course talk to your ODNR guy and see about a nuisance permit, they might let you destroy the eggs, which can be done by shaking them, or spraying vegetable oil on them. the latter being the easiest.

MarcSmith
03-08-2007, 08:43 AM
get an RC truck....

I have seen golf courses string up heavy weight mono filament over the lakes in like 10-20 foot grids a few feet off the water which helps stop the geese from landing inthe water whichinturn help determ them from landing at all and taking up nest as then they loose a quick avenue of escape....

Another option witch works but cost evenmore is to line the lake with taller grasses, this give predators a chance to hide and the geese will shy away from those areas in which offer predators place to stalk.

Dollar Spot
03-08-2007, 09:48 AM
To get a nuisance permit you have to prove to the ODNR that all your other techniques did not work. Then they come out and look at your site and may or may not issue the permit.

The tall grass idea would not work because you would have to hit across the lake to the green and your line of sight would be blocked. In fact we have buffer zones around parts of a few lakes and the geese tend to nest in these wild areas. You wouldn't think so but they do. The only real predators around here would be raccoons for the eggs and coyotes for the eggs and goslings.

We tried the wire approach and the golfers just can't leave it alone. If anything interferes with their swing they'll move it or knock it over. I had so much time repairing it and restringing it that it just wasn't worth it. I could blow the goose droppings off the green and repair the holes that the geese dug faster that I could maintain the wire.

Thank you for all your suggestions and ideas, I really do appreciate them! If you come up with anything knew, I'm all ears (or would it be eyes?).

Grassmechanic
03-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Fishing line strung around the pond at 6" and 12" will keep them away. I've done it for many years with great success.

MarcSmith
03-08-2007, 11:20 AM
The tall grass idea would not work because you would have to hit across the lake to the green and your line of sight would be blocked.

If your golfers can't handle blind approach shots, then they are wusses....:)

you coudl always put the wire about 1-2 feet inside the edgeof the lake and havehte posts in the water...

When I worked for TGLC we hired a company who had border collies to chase away the geese at the AOL coplex in VA by the time you spray chemicals and such it wqorked out to be the same price as out labor and chems

Midwest Lawn Services
03-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Contact Community Lawn Care. They have the most effective solution I have seen. Good stuff! communitylawncare.com

DiyDave
03-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Some golf courses around here are using a service that uses trained border collies to chase the geese away! One course even has an official goose dog that lives on the golf course. This is the most effective way that I have seen.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dollar Spot
03-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Marc, A blind approach shot is usually consider a recovery shot from a bad tee shot or bad second shot. I've never seen upright obstructions directly in front of the green.

The geese are flying today. The counts at about 50 so far today. I think we'll break the dogs out.

MarcSmith
03-09-2007, 02:14 PM
I'll be in Pinehurst in a few weeks. I'll take some pics for ya.....
in the mean time...
http://www.tobaccoroadgolf.com/photogallery.html check out #13 green approach...

I am playing Tobacco Road, Talamore, and The Pit... 6 rounds in 3 days....

there are about 4-5 Blind shots at Tobacco road....not for the faint of heart....

Dollar Spot
03-09-2007, 05:20 PM
I looked at the website and didn't see a single hole blocked by tall grasses. In fact you can see every hole form the approach. Maybe we are talking about two different things.

Dollar Spot
03-09-2007, 05:24 PM
By tall grasses I thought you were talking about something like zebra grass 6-8' tall or giant reed grass 8-10' tall. I couldn't put that in front of a green.

MarcSmith
03-14-2007, 07:39 AM
sorry i was in CA over the weekend.

no nothing that big. infact nothing over 3-4' feet....

what you can't se in the tobabcco road is the elevation change as well.

Dollar Spot
03-15-2007, 10:54 AM
The coyotes came in the mail today and I'll be putting them out today. I hope the golfers leave them alone, I could see someone taking them home and shooting a few arrows through them.

MarcSmith
03-15-2007, 01:17 PM
The coyotes came in the mail today and I'll be putting them out today. I hope the golfers leave them alone, I could see someone taking them home and shooting a few arrows through them.

get some duck bill tree anchors and anchor the critters down that way they don't walk....

Dollar Spot
03-15-2007, 01:24 PM
They are more like cardboard with a hollogram of a coyote on them. They look real from a distance. The funny part is that the geese flew into the lake to have a look see and are still there. They're probably thinking, nice try jack***.

MarcSmith
03-15-2007, 02:00 PM
They are more like cardboard with a hollogram of a coyote on them. They look real from a distance. The funny part is that the geese flew into the lake to have a look see and are still there. They're probably thinking, nice try jack***.

maybe some cyote urine would discaurage them?

let em have their fun on the lake....you just don't want them on the grass right...

Dollar Spot
03-15-2007, 02:37 PM
I have to keep them off the greens. The problem is that the lakes are next to the greens. I also created some buffer zones around parts of some lakes that are attractive areas for nesting. I love the geese, I just don't like them feeding on our greens and what they leave behind. I like eating them too but I do that only during hunting season.

Dollar Spot
03-15-2007, 02:58 PM
Anybody have any experience with rc hydroplanes, boats, helicopters? I'm thinking I might get one to chase the geese of the water until after nesting season is over.

MarcSmith
03-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Anybody have any experience with rc hydroplanes, boats, helicopters? I'm thinking I might get one to chase the geese of the water until after nesting season is over.
it woudl work, but Id go electric. less noise....or

get one of the RC air hogs....land and water
http://www.mastermindtoys.com/store/product.asp?product_code=76647&subcat=92&brand=1&cat=0&agecat=0&showcat=0&page=1&ebay=&MSCSProfile=KRR9NP88PDX98K2G00TLD6NB2GX939L8

Dollar Spot
03-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks Marc, I think I've seen that on TV. It looks like it would be fun to chase the geese around with that. I'm having a hard time rationalizing spending this amount of time on these geese until I balance it out with the repair work and droppings on the greens and how they effect our golfers.

MarcSmith
03-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks Marc, I think I've seen that on TV. It looks like it would be fun to chase the geese around with that. I'm having a hard time rationalizing spending this amount of time on these geese until I balance it out with the repair work and droppings on the greens and how they effect our golfers.
Get married, have a kid,

take kid to work and let kid play with toy chasing geese....Win win...you don't have to pay for daycare, and the golf coruse doesnt have to to pay for an extra employee....:)

Dollar Spot
03-15-2007, 09:20 PM
I got two, ones almost done with college and the other one is almost done with high school. I guess I'll have to wait for grandkids!

Grassmechanic
03-16-2007, 09:30 AM
I have to keep them off the greens. The problem is that the lakes are next to the greens. I also created some buffer zones around parts of some lakes that are attractive areas for nesting. I love the geese, I just don't like them feeding on our greens and what they leave behind. I like eating them too but I do that only during hunting season.

Try the fishing line. I had the same problems on the GC years ago and the fishing line solved it.

Dollar Spot
03-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Grass, We would have a couple of problems with a fishing line grid on the lakes.
1. We have a diver go into the lakes for golf balls and he is concerned about getting tangled up in the lines.
2. The owners and employees use the lakes for recreation.....fishing ect.
3. We wired the perimeter of the lakes and the golfers continuously tore down the wires, so our expectations would be the same for the fishing line grid. It became a time problem replacing and repairing the wires all the time.

Grassmechanic
03-16-2007, 10:03 AM
You're not putting a line in a grid pattern, it is strung only around the perimeter. We had the same thing with ball divers. They merely had to step over the line. Same for fishing.

Dollar Spot
03-16-2007, 10:15 AM
We used the line around the perimeter and the geese just jumped over it. It slowed them down at first but they got accustom to it. It was 12" high. The golfers would tear it down because it interfered with their swing. They will actually pull the stakes out of the ground and leave them laying there:hammerhead: ! If I ran a double or triple line the golfers would be even harder on it.

In a corporate park setting it would work well along with some other things, but it hasn't here.

Albemarle Lawn
03-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Come get your geese or we will drop a NUKE-YOU-LAR bomb on you:laugh:

Dollar Spot
03-17-2007, 09:33 AM
I like it.

57 Chevy
03-18-2007, 03:32 PM
Ihave used the product Flight control Pus for the past two seasons and we have had great results. It's exspensive but it works.

Grassmechanic
03-19-2007, 09:24 AM
The golfers would tear it down because it interfered with their swing. They will actually pull the stakes out of the ground and leave them laying there:hammerhead: ! If I ran a double or triple line the golfers would be even harder on it.

LOL. Sounds like you have more of a golfer problem than a goose problem. Don't they believe in the "free drop" rule?:laugh:

MarcSmith
03-19-2007, 09:34 AM
LOL. Sounds like you have more of a golfer problem than a goose problem. Don't they believe in the "free drop" rule?:laugh:

I prefer the foot wedge myself....
Seriously though. I play on several golf leagues we play Strict rules...Very few places for a freebie drop, especially around a hazzard. I've learned the hardway..

Grassmechanic
03-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Marc - it would come under the "ground under construction" rule.

BTW - I know what you mean about some of those "strict rule" leagues. I used to find clubs in trees and bags in the ponds after those leagues were finished, LOL.

Dollar Spot
03-19-2007, 11:13 AM
If it's in a water hazard they have the right to take a swing if they want and that's why the wires get tore up. I saw a goose humping one of my fake coyotes this morning!

MarcSmith
03-19-2007, 11:18 AM
BTW - I know what you mean about some of those "strict rule" leagues. I used to find clubs in trees and bags in the ponds after those leagues were finished, LOL.

Yeah my tommy armour 5 wood went swimming last year. three shots in a row right in the drink. I wasn't going to give the club a chance for the 4th ball.

Playing strict rules is fun, it makes you think about your shots a bit more, I have actually played very good playing by the rules and eliminating the foot wedge from the bag.

Dollar Spot
03-19-2007, 11:41 AM
I play better when playing by the rules. I guess because I slow down and concentrate more.

Dollar Spot
03-25-2007, 09:25 AM
We tried the bangers and whistlers out yesterday for the first time and they didn't work so well. It took me a hour and a half of blasting the sky with these thing to finally get the geese to move. That's way to much time to spend. My dog had a blast though.

It was the first time I saw a goose dive under the water and swim for twenty feet.

xpnd
03-28-2007, 11:40 PM
For what it is worth and this probably will not work, here in TX we have a big problems with grackles(I always thought they were starlings but what do I know). One of the cities brought in a guy with trained birds of prey. Supposedly when he lets the bird go to flight, it scares the bejebbers out of the grackles and they're supposed to go away. Wonder if they know that?

Geese are a lot bigger so they may not be intimidated. Who knows?

Grassmechanic
03-31-2007, 09:32 AM
Naw, the geese aren't intimidated by raptors. But for smaller birds such as grackles, starlings, etc. an owl decoy works quite well. Just move it around evey few days so the birds don't get used to it in one place and figure out it's only a decoy.

Dollar Spot
03-31-2007, 12:48 PM
The coyote decoys have been out about two weeks and one has been stolen already. Oh well.....they didn't work that well anyway.

MarcSmith
04-02-2007, 11:26 AM
I love it a member stole it, most likely, and they are going to be the first ones to complain about the condition of the grass, ect....

I had two owls hung in trees over picknic tables after compmlaints about bird poo....two weeks later one of the two is gone....Complaints started coming and and I kindly responded to the students "As long as you continue to steal them, I wont replace em, nor wash the tables."

All it takes is one to screw it up for everybody else....

Dollar Spot
04-04-2007, 11:31 AM
UPDATE,
We have been able to keep the geese off the course by using bangers and whistlers. They are flying off when they hear us coming. If we can keep them from nesting we've dramatically reduced our problems.

Marc, the Gators played a heck of a game the other night. Poor old Oden was out numbered 3 to 1 but he still had a good game. If he stays for next year OSU will be tough to beat.

My Lady Vols came through for me!

MarcSmith
04-04-2007, 08:08 PM
My Lady Vols came through for me!

Figures..you rest your hopes onthe women....:)

I hope the Fab fave decied to stay for their final year. 3 peat....I doubt it though.

I hope Donovan doesn't leave for kentuk.....shudder....

I just back from NYC today we have a chance of flurries this weekend...Oh well so much for the cherry blossoms....

Dollar Spot
04-04-2007, 09:03 PM
The ladies are more fun to watch than the guys plus a lot better looking.

MarcSmith
04-05-2007, 06:47 AM
Yeah but watching layups at each basket gets boring....At least the SEC has both champions in round ball and football...I wonder what else we can monopolize this year....

Dollar Spot
04-05-2007, 07:58 AM
Baseball and golf. The only sport that the big 10 really doninates is wrestling.

MarcSmith
04-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Baseball and golf. The only sport that the big 10 really doninates is wrestling.

imagine that..guys running a round in tights and grabbing each other...:)

Dollar Spot
04-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Toughest 6 minutes in sports.

MarcSmith
04-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Toughest 6 minutes in sports.
I do agree....its is very demanding....Tossing chairs, head buts, Superplexes...
Kidding kidding.....just kidding.....

I remember my cross country running days. we had several wrestlers who ran and trained with us just to get down to weight...of course I also remember being the locker rooms before weigh-in on several occasions....talk about purging....yeach:dizzy:

Dollar Spot
04-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Been there have done all that......it was a long time ago when it wasn't watched so closely as now, at least in Ohio.

dan w
04-14-2007, 03:41 PM
there is a product called invisible fence, I bought a case last year, but then rented the beach house to a dog owner and have not used it. supossed to make them sick and they leave. I like the truck idea myself.