PDA

View Full Version : Narrow strips

bobw
03-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Argh... do architects ever actually visit a building afterwards and see how stuff actually worked out?

Doing a bid for a new commercial building... The whole building is "ringed" with a 2 FOOT wide strip of grass that has to be irrigated.

Anyone have any decent approaches other than throttling down a 15SS nozzle to 2' width? I absolutely hate doing that, but I'm getting more and more spec sheets with this kind of nonsense in it and need to find the best way to give decent coverage....

Flow Control
03-07-2007, 01:51 PM
netafin... maybe?

bicmudpuppy
03-07-2007, 02:35 PM
sub drip would get my vote. netafim seems to be the most commonly used for turf applications. One line down the center of a 2' wide strip would probably be sufficient. Can you get sleeves under any walks before they go in? Sleeves placed dead center so you don't have to plumb back to them would make the install easy. New construction, so you could even trench/backfill instead of pulling the drip in. One major caution..........read the specs. make sure your not liable on a maint thing if the drip is damaged.

Wet_Boots
03-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Hey, if enough people do this nonsense, maybe Weathermatic will resurrect their brass strip nozzles they made for strips as narrow as one foot. Don't hold your breath. If it's a masonry building, you could just overthrow at it.

Hey, Toro makes a 2x6 strip nozzle!

Ground Master
03-07-2007, 08:35 PM
I would go netafim, but 1 strip down the middle won't suffice.

bicmudpuppy
03-07-2007, 10:26 PM
I would go netafim, but 1 strip down the middle won't suffice.

what makes you say one row won't cover 24" width? on 12" centers, you wouldn't put a row against the concrete. I wouldn't put two rows 6" from both sides. Best uniform coverage would be one row.

Dirty Water
03-07-2007, 11:25 PM
If I were doing subsurface drip, based upon my experience with netafim emitter tubing, I'd probably do two rows about 6" off from the edges.

Alternatively, something I'd never do, but you could, would be to use those popup microsprays.

However, you would be replacing them on a very regular basis.

gusbuster
03-08-2007, 12:29 AM
If I were doing subsurface drip, based upon my experience with netafim emitter tubing, I'd probably do two rows about 6" off from the edges.

Alternatively, something I'd never do, but you could, would be to use those popup microsprays.

However, you would be replacing them on a very regular basis.

Another vote for how you recommended. We actually have a few apartment complexes where they have grass strips that small. It was the only way to water without getting tenant's cars wet.
Micro spray not.

bobw
03-08-2007, 10:05 AM
One of my thoughts was emitter tubing, but there is so much clay around here that I'm concerned that it won't do anything close to even distribution. If I do emitter, I'd definitely do two lines @ 6" off edge to even it out some and to give some redundancy for plugging etc.

SprinklerGuy
03-08-2007, 10:50 AM
If you are factoring in for plugging..you are planning to use the wrong stuff.

The netafim stuff doesnt' require factoring in for "plugging".

gusbuster
03-08-2007, 10:53 AM
One of my thoughts was emitter tubing, but there is so much clay around here that I'm concerned that it won't do anything close to even distribution. If I do emitter, I'd definitely do two lines @ 6" off edge to even it out some and to give some redundancy for plugging etc.

As for the clay, you just need to put the water down slow and long so water can have a chance to percolate.

Now you realize we're not talking about the 1/4" stuff?

bobw
03-08-2007, 11:32 AM
yes... I realize that we are NOT talking about 1/4" stuff.

As much as you USA folks seem to love Netafim, it doesn't appear as if there is any distributors up here in the great white North. We certainly do have pressure compensating emitter tubing available (Toro and Rainbird most definitely), but I don't have as much faith in them not plugging, root instrusion, etc.

PurpHaze
03-08-2007, 04:45 PM
I've used a single row of center strip sprays before on narrow areas like this between buildings. However, I could be persuaded to go the Netafim route due to your cold winters. :)