PDA

View Full Version : Briggs and Stratton won't start

hess
03-07-2007, 02:43 PM
I need help from the big boys. I have a 6.5 hp Briggs motor when you start it up cold it will start right up. when you run it for 30 min or longer and shut it off it won't start. But when you let it cool down it will start right up. Its been in thge shop 6x they checked the valves , new carburator and said they went through it they even had a briggs rep down for this. know today it did the same thing. It seems somthing to do with it getting warm and won't start. Any ideas? Its in the shop today it's in it's new home.:dizzy: *trucewhiteflag*

MuleCutter
03-07-2007, 04:09 PM
coil seems to be the problem. when you get that changed just make sure you have a fresh spark plug to go with it.

HK45Mark23
03-07-2007, 04:13 PM
I have had the same prblem. Don't like them any way. Try a Kawasaki next time.

Restrorob
03-07-2007, 05:58 PM
MuleCutter is right, It sounds like the coil. They need to check for spark while the engine is hot and won't start.

Jay74
03-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Sounds like vapor lock. Check fuel hose routing or any heat shields that might be missing.

hess
03-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Sounds like vapor lock. Check fuel hose routing or any heat shields that might be missing.
tHEY CHECKED ALL THAT ITS BRAND NEW ALL HEAT SHILDS R IN PLACE*trucewhiteflag*

newz7151
03-08-2007, 12:26 AM
Either gas cap not venting, loosen it. Or coil getting hot and faulting internal. Replace one or both. Start with the gas cap, cheaper.

Kind of hard to diagnose without actually having it on hand.

dutch1
03-08-2007, 06:54 AM
We still have gotten any feedback on whether or not you have spark after he unit shuts down. As a lawn service professional, investing in an inline spark checker would be mandatory. Hook one end to the spark plug and the other to the plug wire. Start the engine and let it run, in the sun if possible, watching the checker for intermittent or no spark condition. If the unit dies with no spark and there is no spark when attempting to restart you likely have a coil that is breaking down under heat. Another condition to check is the kill wire running from the coil to the zone kill switch. Check for any bare spots in that wire as it runs under the cross over tube and over the engine back to the zone kill. You may have a bare wire that is expanding due to the heat, thus pushing it into a grounded condition. Not likely but a possibility. Additionally, as already indicated, check for a non venting fuel cap if the unit still has spark when dying and upon on attempted restart.

Dutch

DiyDave
03-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Ditto on dutch1's comment-most of the time I have run into ignition problems on small engines its the $3 spark plug that's bad.

hess
03-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Ditto on dutch1's comment-most of the time I have run into ignition problems on small engines its the $3 spark plug that's bad.

i tried that two samething happens! :confused: Just got it back again briggs don't know what to do:cry:

Restrorob
03-08-2007, 10:15 PM
briggs don't know what to do:cry:

That engine was built by a man and a man can fix that engine.

You just haven't found the right man, I would suggest trying another dealer.

hess
03-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Have tried everything Briggs rep can't find anything Lemon Law Going after Briggs