PDA

View Full Version : Gooseneck/dual axle single tire...????

IHI
03-07-2007, 11:40 PM
I came across a local concrete company liquidating and he has an older 20' gooseneck with duall axles and single wheels. Overall it's about a 6 on a scale of 1-10, but tracks about 2-4 inches more on the passenger side. You can see it in the mirrors, but on the drivers side you can't. Does this mean it needs an alignment or ? One of the tires on the opposite side is cupped pretty bad. The deck is in pretty good shape, no ramps and lights need some lenses replaced/work. How much should I be willing to pay on something like this?

TXNSLighting
03-08-2007, 12:29 AM
500 bucks! maybe a little more.

gammon landscaping
03-12-2007, 10:43 PM
i would look at the tounge it sounds bent to me , a trailer should always track straight behind you. if not something is bad amiss

Jason Rose
03-13-2007, 12:51 AM
Yes, sounds like the frame is out of square. Could be straightned on a big enough rack, but it would cost a plenty I'm sure. If not it would eat tires like no tomorrow. Check to see what getting one straightend would cost, cost of this trailer and then weigh the possibilities. If you can come out decent with it, it may be worth a shot.

muddstopper
03-13-2007, 08:37 PM
I would certainly check the frame for straightness, but that might not be the culprit. the Axle is held to the springs with ubolts. The spring has a centerpin that keeps the axle centered on the spring. These pins can and do shear, especially if the trailer tire hit a curb or other hard object while being towed. If the centerpin is sheared, the axle can slide back or foward and cause the trailer to track off to one side behind the truck. A quick look to see if the axle has moved on the spring will let you know if thats the problem. If you cant tell by looking at it, take a tape measure and compare the two sides to see if they are the same from the end of the spring. A new center pin can be bought at most auto parts stores for less than $5. Ubolts might be hard to get loose, but the fix is pretty simple, although it can be aggravating. If the frame is bent, I wouldnt even consider the purchase.