PDA

View Full Version : F-150 Spark Problem

gibsonsg311
03-08-2007, 01:23 AM
Im no mechanic, but my engine started "missing" a few days ago.I have a 97 F-150 with a 4.6L My dads friend put new spark plugs in about 2 months ago, but he thought the wires were bad. Does any body know any online tutorials for puting new spark plug wires in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

stevesmowing
03-08-2007, 09:36 AM
If they havn't been replaced before its pretty straight forward. The wires are even numbered as to what cylinder they go to. I had a problem after I replaced my plugs and wires of water getting down in the boot on the 3rd cylinder from the front on the left side. Is it tripping a check engine light? If it doesn't wait another day and see if it does. Once you find that out check the plug and wire on that cylinder. My plug appeared to be fine but the ceramic part had the smallest hairline crack ever. I put some high temp. silicon around the boot when I installed it again and its been about a year and no problems since.

Grassmechanic
03-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Does any body know any online tutorials for puting new spark plug wires in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Remove 1 and replace it with a new one, one at a time. Pretty straight forward.

TXNSLighting
03-08-2007, 01:43 PM
thats the easiest thing to do on an engine. take one off put the new one in its place

gibsonsg311
03-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Yeah i took alook at them and they look pretty straight forward, I just didnlt know what i was getting into. Ill pick up some new ones and try it. It did trip the check engine light yesturday.thanks

lawnspecialties
03-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Does that 4.6L have coil packs? Not sure on a '97.

xcopterdoc
03-08-2007, 09:35 PM
The 4.6 on a 97 is a non coil pack engine. They are a real PITA to replace, but not that bad. Buy good ones or you will hate life and be replacing them again in a short time. Be aware of an intake coolant leak into the spark plug wells when you pull the spark plug boots out.

gibsonsg311
03-10-2007, 12:59 PM
alright ill try not to leak any fluids. Im going to pick up new wires today found a kit for the 4.6L for $78