PDA

View Full Version : Sprinkler Systems and well water

IN2MOWN
03-08-2007, 03:25 PM
I had a question about a sprinkler system and was wondering if some of you irrigation guys have ever done this or come across it.

I just moved into a house that has a working well. The lady before me had a little pump in the basement that would draw water in and the pump it into her beds so she could water her flowers.

Is it possible, with a bigger pump, to use that water to irrigate an entire acre of grass? If so what kind of system would I need?

Thanks in advance.

Total.Lawn.Care
03-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Yes it is. Many people will put in a shallow well and a pump to provide irrigation water. I knwo some people that live on fresh water ponds and lakes, and they pump water from their ponds/lakes for their irrigation.

Many Irrigation clocks have an internal connection that will power a relay to turn on your pump when your zones are timed to start and shut down the pump at the end of the irrigation cycle.

The size pump you need will vary depending on your pipe size and or irrigation plans Gallon per minute requirement.

Wet_Boots
03-08-2007, 04:01 PM
First, you determine what the well is capable of supplying. Then you might be able to use a larger pump. You might not. Or maybe a second pump could be added after the first, to get more pressure, to spread the water further.

This is all very site-specific, so generalities don't apply. You may have a water supply so small, that the pump(s) might have to run almost 24/7 to cover an acre.

IN2MOWN
03-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the replys guys! I dont know much about systems, just some general repair knowledge.

I appreciate the posts and will lets you know how this turns out. I will be calling a pro to do the work.

RAlmaroad
03-08-2007, 06:51 PM
When you do your research--check if your're a deep well or a shallow well area; Shallow wells are generally 1.25" and are made of PVC. Look at your neighbor friend's. Check for a pump; Most deep wells will have their pump in the well--no visable pump above ground. Not all are this as there is a pump capable of pumping a deep well but not a really deep well like 500' Take some pic for reference. Probably is a shallow well in Kansas. Check your neighbor's output by putting a hose in a 5 gallon bucket and timing how it takes to fill it.If it takes 30 seconds to fill the bucket then your well is puting out 10 gal/minute and is capable of irrigating an acre. Best if the pump would produce 15GPM. Check out the Goulds Pump site. The 1 horse Shallow Well Jet pump will do it-- As Wet Boots stated--very site specific, but not rocket science and most well when putting in can be adapter to your needs. I've put iin several shallow wells over the years. Should not cost you much over 10-12 hundred for a shallow well producing abot 15 GPM. Roy