PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever moved for business?

A1Lawns
03-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Has anyone ever moved to help their business for whatever reasons? Weather? Fresh start? etc???
I think this is a very interesting topic which has not been discussed much.(as far as I know)

:cool2:

mulchmaster
03-08-2007, 10:11 PM
I am working on this as we speak. My wife, kids and I are moving this summer. First off she will start off making 15k more a year and I have already landed my largest service account to date. Where we live now is not at all good for this bussiness. I have a few good accounts here, but for the time and effort I have put into this I should be 3x as big. Hopefully it works out.

ECS
03-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Did not move to better my business, because I did not have one at the time. I had a good job, but hated where we lived and hated my boss, or rather his boss. Decided if I was going to make a move or change jobs, I was going all the way. We gave our noticed, packed our stuff and moved 2200 miles west and started a new life. Took a beating on the money end of it all but soon realized there was so much more to life than money, like quality of life and enjoying where you live. That was nearly 18 years ago and I have never regretted it.

So I guess I moved for the weather, fresh start, and all the outdoor activities I enjoy so much being right in my back yard so to speak.

Flow Control
03-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Good for you ECS

eshreve1234
03-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Mulchmaster -

Are you leaving OH? I have thought about it. Seems like everything but Columbus, is shrinking or dying. When I was in Vegas this past winter, it was amazing to see the growth and excitement.

terrapro
03-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Has anyone ever moved to help their business for whatever reasons? Weather? Fresh start? etc???
I think this is a very interesting topic which has not been discussed much.(as far as I know)

just dont move to michigan. 7.9% unemployment rate and growing. i heard on NPR the other day that 89000 more jobs are going to be cut this year.

Mr.Mow-It-All
03-09-2007, 11:34 PM

Yes we did, and unlike most everyone else, my wife is and was a stay at home mom. I left a job with the city (35k per year) and a mowing biz of about 50k per year. We moved last feb and had a pretty good first year. My uncle is large land developer and home buildier in the highest income per capita city of oklahoma, that was my in. He didn't give me any work but alowed me to get in front of the right people and landed some decent accounts.

mulchmaster
03-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Hey shereve, we are staying in the state just moving. Where we are now there is nothing, so we can only go up.

LB1234
03-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Specifically/exclusively for the business...I'd have to say no. But it was a major factor in purchasing the next one.

Things like being able to have my 'shop' at my home, not worrying about parking commercial vehicles on my property. Plenty of room for storage sheds and parking pads, etc. Not to mention ease of manuevering trucks with trailers. Distance from our area of operation. Things like this.

As far as a fresh start or weather, no...we've only moved about 40 miles within the same state but the township has a better school system, better property values (resale value in 10-15yrs), closer to our parents who help out with our child (soon to be children).