PDA

View Full Version : how much can a tow? s10 zr2

DandG
03-09-2007, 02:53 PM
hey im wondering if my truck will struggle towing a 18 foot trailer cubcadet rider, 36 in wright velke, and 48 in yazoo walk behind. Just wondering what you guess think

elmo1537
03-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Look at the gvwr for you truck. Bet it wont come close to what you want to tow. Do it right and get a full size truck. The S10 is not rated to pull that kind of load much less stop that kind of load.

ed2150
03-09-2007, 06:01 PM
I use an S10, pull a 12 ft. single axle trailer with 1 Z and the normal 2cycle stuff and push mower.......that's about all an S10 can handle, both realistically and by manufacturer's rating. I put brakes on my trailer because without them it was just too hard on the truck's brakes.

C.T. Lawn Care
03-09-2007, 06:23 PM
I have a 93 sonoma and towed a 16ft dual axel trailer with it for about 1 month, then i got a full size. I had breaks on the trailer and that helped with stoping, but i would not even think about pulling anything like that with it again... other than around the shop.

Richard Martin
03-09-2007, 06:26 PM
I agree. Check the owners manual and see what it says. Is it a V-6? Auto or stick? How many miles? Right off the top of my head I'm guessing that the trailer alone weighs close to 2,000 pounds. Add in 500 for the rider, 550 each for the other two mowers and then an additional 300 to 400 pounds for trimmers, blowers gas etc... Oh, and don't forget to add your own weight, say 150 pounds (wild, wild guess, that's what I weigh). You're up to a towed weight of 4200 pounds.

stuffdeer
03-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Ok, Well, I have a 2000 Chevy S-10 with the 2.2L 4 banger stick.

I tow a 5x10, with a cub rider, Ferris 36" wb, and all handhelds. This tows fine.

scchamblee
03-09-2007, 10:55 PM
I have a 2000 Silverado with the 4.8 liter V8... I pull a 6 1/2X12 single axle with a JD 797. It is fine on flat ground and stopping but hills kill it! I would not try what you are talking about... just my .02

The Rookie
03-09-2007, 11:27 PM
If you want to make money tow with what you have instead of buying what you dont.

ProStreetCamaro
03-09-2007, 11:55 PM
NO WAY NO HOW. You will end up killing somebody with that setup. We had a ZR2 Blazer and the truck was fantastic but with it being taller with larger tires made it the most unstable vehical I have ever driven. Also the larger tires works the brake system harder then on top of that you want to tow an 18' trailer full of heavy equipment. If I am not mistaken the GVWR is around 5,000 to 5,500 pounds. Another thing you need to worry about is the transmission. If its the automatic it is the 4L60E which WILL NOT hold up to heavy towing for very long.

For your safety and those around you I sure hope you dont decide to use that truck to tow that load with.

elshauno
03-10-2007, 12:03 AM
I had a 2 wheel drive s10 4.3l with the extended cab. It was rated at the highest towing capacity for an S10 in 1999. I towed a 16 tandem axle trailer with a 48 inch walkbehind. My transmissoin went out after a year. Trust me get a bigger truck the 4l60e just cant handle more than 2000 pounds on a regular basis. S10's are meant to haul bass boats and jet skis to the lake on the weekend. You really need a larger truck, most ideally a 3/4 ton for regular towing though a half ton will suffice. I learned the hard way dont make my mistake.

LCPullman
03-10-2007, 12:28 AM
First of all, Do not tow a trailer like that without brakes and a fully functional brake controller. In other words. The brakes on most trucks can't safely stop that much trailer weight. You must have operating trailer brakes. THIS IS A SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE!!
Around here, the legal limit for a non-braking trailer is 2900lbs. As you get heavier, you risk jack-knifing or simply not stopping.

Second, the newest GM mid-size trucks are rated at a maximum of 4000lbs. The setup you describe is more around 5500-6000 lbs
You need at least a full-size half-ton truck. New full-size half-tons are rated around 7000-10,000 lb capacity depending on the model.
The GM 4L60/4L65 (half-ton auto trans) is actually quite a capable transmission, and with proper cooling can last quite well under rated towing conditions.
However, for that kind of weight, a 3/4 ton would be my preference. The stiffer springs, better brakes and heavier duty trans make for a more comfortable trailering experience.

So bottom line, the S-10 will definately struggle with that setup. You would definately be overloading your truck. If your truck is set up to operate the trailer brakes (brake controller and wiring), you might be able to scrape by until you can get a heavier duty truck but only if absolutely necessary.
The GM V-6 (190 hp/260 lb-ft) with the lower axle ratio might just do if you don't have to go up any steep hills. But the I-4 is way underpowered.

I have a 93 Sierra 1/2 ton with the 5.7 V-8 (210+hp/300+lb-ft). I mostly use it to tow a 2000lb trailer around town and it does great in this role. I've used it to tow heavy trailers (7000-9000lb) before, and it struggles up hills, and on the highway.

More recently I've gotten a Chevy 3/4 ton with the 6.5 Turbo-diesel (200hp/420lb-ft). It handles heavy trailers with relative ease. I mostly use it to pull around a 4500lb trailer.

David C.
03-10-2007, 08:17 AM
Look at the gvwr for you truck. Bet it wont come close to what you want to tow. Do it right and get a full size truck. The S10 is not rated to pull that kind of load much less stop that kind of load.

Oh!!! It'll stop it alright!!!

The locomotive has to "slam on brakes" about four or five miles ahead of time just to get his 150 cars of coal to stop on time----only advantage is---the locomotive has the "Right-of-Way"

An S10 (Sissy truck) carryin' a load like that??? You'll have to have your foot mashed all the way down on the gas just to make it go 15 miles an hour---and then when you come up to a Red lite----you'll have to mash hard on the brakes way ahead of time and then you're still prayin'---"Dear Lord!!! Dear Lord---why didn't I buy that Chevrolet 2500 Turbo Diesel with brakes that'll stop a 40 ton load????"

The Rookie
03-10-2007, 10:11 PM
I pull my trailer with my s-10 blazer and it has almost 200 thousand miles on it. Maybe I drive different than you guys or something. :weightlifter:

LCPullman
03-10-2007, 10:23 PM
I pull my trailer with my s-10 blazer and it has almost 200 thousand miles on it. Maybe I drive different than you guys or something. :weightlifter:

A S-10 is certainly capable of towing some things, just not a 5500+ lb trailer.

elmo1537
03-11-2007, 11:44 PM

Or maybe you just havn't had to stop in a hurry yet.

I started with a sonoma (same thing as a s10)and a 6x10 trailer the truck handled it ok but i definitely wouldnt put anything bigger behind it. I understand budgets are limited and you dont have a whole lot of money but you can find a beater for 1500 dollars to do the job for you until you have enough money to buy a new truck. nobobdy said start with a brand new truck just start with something you can afford but will also handle you equipment properly.

ProStreetCamaro
03-12-2007, 12:04 AM
Oh!!! It'll stop it alright!!!

The locomotive has to "slam on brakes" about four or five miles ahead of time just to get his 150 cars of coal to stop on time----only advantage is---the locomotive has the "Right-of-Way"

An S10 (Sissy truck) carryin' a load like that??? You'll have to have your foot mashed all the way down on the gas just to make it go 15 miles an hour---and then when you come up to a Red lite----you'll have to mash hard on the brakes way ahead of time and then you're still prayin'---"Dear Lord!!! Dear Lord---why didn't I buy that Chevrolet 2500 Turbo Diesel with brakes that'll stop a 40 ton load????"

:laugh: That actually made me laugh out loud!

robbo521
03-12-2007, 01:36 AM
you may have to add some lead to the front of the truck but it will do it.

The Rookie
03-14-2007, 10:56 PM
I'll keep on pulling and yall can keep on makin payments. And if your having to stop in a hurry then you yourself are in too big of a hurry.

LCPullman
03-15-2007, 12:35 AM
No need to make payments to get a nice looking 3/4 ton truck (early-mid 90's for 4-5 grand).

If a S-10 works for you, Great!

I just wouldn't recommend an S-10 in this situation in question due to safety concerns and my towing experience with these kinds of vehicles.

In my area, we have some pretty steep hills, and you have to be able to stop at the bottom. When your pulling a good size trailer, that requires some good brakes and some good engines to go up the hills.

Raven386
03-15-2007, 12:37 AM
whats all this talk about brakes to help with stopping??? thats what the car in front of you is for!

Envy Lawn Service
03-15-2007, 01:28 AM
hey im wondering if my truck will struggle towing a 18 foot trailer cubcadet rider, 36 in wright velke, and 48 in yazoo walk behind. Just wondering what you guess think

Yes it will struggle towing.

Mini trucks are OK for pulling "A" ztr...
Preferably on a tandem with brakes.

It might do OK with a smaller trailer and the two walks.... if it's a 4.3 manual.

Time to trade trucks I think.
That's too much to stop.
Look for a used 3/4 ton you can trade for.

Richard Martin
03-15-2007, 06:37 AM
if it's a 4.3 manual.

Manual trannies are always rated lower for towing. The clutch is the weak point and an S-10 clutch just isn't much even behind a 4.3.

Envy Lawn Service
03-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Manual trannies are always rated lower for towing. The clutch is the weak point and an S-10 clutch just isn't much even behind a 4.3.

Yeah, I don't know crap about newer Chevy transmissions.

I've never even owned many Chevy trucks for that matter.
All the ones I've had were equipped with manuals.
The 4 speeds with the super-low 1st.
No syncros going in, so you had to be at a dead stop to shift in and use 1st.

Anyways though, most of what I have noticed is that auto's seem to be 'rated' higher across the board. But when used for towing, they don't live long. The transmissions come out when "in tow" daily.

Just seems they will not stand up to what the auto trannys in the 3/4 tons will.

toac
03-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Ok, Well, I have a 2000 Chevy S-10 with the 2.2L 4 banger stick.

I tow a 5x10, with a cub rider, Ferris 36" wb, and all handhelds. This tows fine.

i've got the same exact truck (2001). she pulls the 5x10 with no problem, but definitely wouldn't go any bigger.

stuffdeer
03-15-2007, 02:41 PM
i've got the same exact truck (2001). she pulls the 5x10 with no problem, but definitely wouldn't go any bigger.

Yea, it does good. I'm acually going to buy a 6x10 enclosed and tow it with the s10.

I don't know what you all are talking about, I know my truck will tow a 12 or 14 ft open. Your not going to break any land speed records, but it will do.

And remember, I only have the 4 clinder manual.

Envy Lawn Service
03-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Yea, it does good. I'm acually going to buy a 6x10 enclosed and tow it with the s10.

I don't know what you all are talking about, I know my truck will tow a 12 or 14 ft open. Your not going to break any land speed records, but it will do.

And remember, I only have the 4 clinder manual.

I believe that will be a bear to pull.

I myself would like to have a 6x10 or 6x12 enclosed in place of my 6x10 open...
So I could put it out to pasture and use it only for small mulch work.

But I tow the 6x10 open with a mini... (V-6 manual)
And I am afraid the wind drag will be a killer.

Plus, I have really had a hard time finding a 6 foot wide enclosed with a decent sized ramp door opening. Most won't come near fitting a 60" thru... and I would rather not go to a 6.5 or 7 due to the narrow roads here.

Richard Martin
03-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Anyways though, most of what I have noticed is that auto's seem to be 'rated' higher across the board. But when used for towing, they don't live long. The transmissions come out when "in tow" daily.

Just seems they will not stand up to what the auto trannys in the 3/4 tons will.

I guess it's all in how you use or abuse the truck. My F-150 is at 120,000 miles with the original 4R70W tranny in it and I've been towing a 4,000+ pound load with it for over 60,000 miles now. I have done regular fluid changes and added a 20,000 pound cooler to it. I also don't tow in overdrive except on very flat ground and if the tranny starts shifting between OD and 3rd I'll turn the OD off.

It did give me a scare a couple of years ago though. It starting shaking really bad and leaking a ton of fluid. I called the guys at Bauman Controls who are absolute wizards at Ford trannies and they gave me a check list of things to check to see if it had the dreaded and often fatal torque convertor shudder. Turns out the bearing in the tailshaft was bad and $150 at the Ford dealer fixed it. Now a quick check of that bearing is part of an oil change.

Envy Lawn Service
03-15-2007, 10:57 PM
I guess it's all in how you use or abuse the truck. My F-150 is at 120,000 miles with the original 4R70W tranny in it and I've been towing a 4,000+ pound load with it for over 60,000 miles now. I have done regular fluid changes and added a 20,000 pound cooler to it. I also don't tow in overdrive except on very flat ground and if the tranny starts shifting between OD and 3rd I'll turn the OD off.

It did give me a scare a couple of years ago though. It starting shaking really bad and leaking a ton of fluid. I called the guys at Bauman Controls who are absolute wizards at Ford trannies and they gave me a check list of things to check to see if it had the dreaded and often fatal torque convertor shudder. Turns out the bearing in the tailshaft was bad and $150 at the Ford dealer fixed it. Now a quick check of that bearing is part of an oil change.

I would imagine the cooler has been a benefit....
Something most people wouldn't think to invest in.

It's good to hear that about the F-150.
That way I won't have to be so selective when I buy another truck.

I'd like to get a late model F-150 or (gulp) a Chevy.
Just a V-8 2wd long bed.

I might just end up owning my first auto truck next time around.

marckxman
03-16-2007, 12:48 AM
S10 might be ok for pulling that load but I think you just end up looking like the guy who lost his job and is mowing lawns while he gets his life together. It is just a very amaturish look. Potentially dangerous too.

There is no good reason to do it and lots of reasons not to.

BTW I drove and s10 for 4 years and respect it for what it is. It is just not the right tool for the job.

elmo1537
03-19-2007, 12:22 AM
And if your having to stop in a hurry then you yourself are in too big of a hurry.

Except for the time when you are by all means are being cautious and all of a sudden someone slams on their brakes in front of you or pulls out in front of you and cuts you off.

I dont make payments on any of my equipment because when I structured my business I planned for things like buying the right piece of equipment for the job. I pay cash for everything.

Landscaping and lawn maintenance is a funny business because with very little planning you can have a "business" with a s10 and a push mower. It is not like most other business where you have to actually plan in advance to just make it by. Me personally I would like to plan and make this an occupation rather than just a hobby.

Sorry for getting off topic but some people amaze me.

analogdog
03-19-2007, 02:46 AM
I don't know if it helps any but I tow a 1,300 pound camper with a 4 cyl. ford ranger. That is definitely pushing the limits of a small truck. Stopping with the stick wasn't a problem either.

Moretta Lawn Care
03-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Well I can tell you from experience... When I am pulling the encolsed 6x12 with my ZR2 I struggle stopping, and going up hills. Last summer I had a Simplicity pacer 34" and a Gravely HydroPro 48" in the trailer along with gas, trimmers, and blowers. I had to take the truck to a spring shop and add a leaf becasue I was sagging in the back really really bad. This is a pic of the trailer loaded and this is the truck I pull it with.

Moretta Lawn Care
03-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Picture of the trailer loaded.

AAR Lawn Services
06-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm amazed to find so many negative comments on the pulling ability of an S10. Has anyone actually had problems pulling larger loads with them or just saying that because it's not a "full size" truck? They are 1/2 ton trucks and correct me if I'm wrong,the 4l60e is the same transmission used in the full size Silverado/Sierra 1500's and has a built in transmission cooler. My truck manual (00' S10 4.3L) rates the truck with a maximum towing capacity of 6400 lbs, 3000+ requiring trailer brakes.

Now I'm just getting into this business myself and haven't done much towing with the truck, but I did tow all my belongings in a 6x12 enclosed trailer from Uhaul and although I don't know what its exact weight was it was easily more than 3000 lbs and I had no problem cruising 75mph on the interstate even in OD. I'm in Florida though and it's relatively all flat land so I don't have to worry about any hills. One day I'd love to have a larger diesel work truck, but for now I think the S10 is a great mid size truck. :weightlifter:

topsites
06-26-2007, 03:16 PM
I stand corrected, I thought ALL 1/2 tons were just that and vice versa with 3/4 tons etc... Turns out SOME 1/2 tons are built like a 3/4 ton and some 3/4 tons are in the light category department so they're not true 3/4 tons.

One indicator is the number of lug nuts, true 3/4 tons have 8 lug nuts per wheel, all 1/2 tons should have 5-6, if it does not have 8 then it is not a true 3/4 ton. How many of you just ran out to count those? I sure did :laugh:
Mine has 8. (we need a 'whew' smiley)

The transmission is heavier, the frame is built stronger, the transfer case, the drivetrain and the differential, the tires itself, a solid front axle versus independent suspension, and the brakes are heavier duty on a true 3/4 ton, shocks, and last but not least, the gear ratio. They not only last longer, but are capable of dealing with the extra weight. We're not talking about the summer time gooseneck camper pull to the lake here, we're dealing with a vehicle that is about to have a permanent 1,000 pound empty attachment because the trailer hardly ever comes off. You need a few tools in back, add a toolbox and fill it up, stick your 2-cyclers in there and you've added another 500 - 1000 pounds, put a Wb on the trailer and that's another 500, the Z is 1,000 and a load of mulch is 3,200 - 4,000, lets not get into hauling certain types of debris.
In short, most anything below a 3/4 ton is still built considerably like a car.
True 3/4 tons or better are more like a real t.r.u.c.k.

That is likely why the lightest tow truck is a full ton, ratings-wise you could use about any p'up, but it's not just about how much can it pull in terms of raw weight, it's whether or not it can tolerate this long term AND how long will it last under constant load? As a rule of thumb I wouldn't be for exceeding half the maximum rated weight, even pulling 4-5 thousand with my 3/4 ton is a challenge, and I really prefer not to go much over 3,000 pounds total.

For more information, here is the complete article:
http://www.autoblog.com/2005/09/29/ask-autoblog-what-determines-a-trucks-payload-capacity/

KTO Enterprises
06-26-2007, 05:25 PM
need at least a 1/2 ton truck. Anyone pulling that much with an s10 should be shot.

AAR Lawn Services
06-26-2007, 07:00 PM
need at least a 1/2 ton truck. Anyone pulling that much with an s10 should be shot.

An S10 is a 1/2 ton truck.

KTO Enterprises
06-26-2007, 09:59 PM

Who told you that? An S10 is not a half ton truck. A chevy silverado 1500 is a half ton truck. An s10 will not haul the same amount as a chevy silverado.

Petr51488
06-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Who told you that? An S10 is not a half ton truck. A chevy silverado 1500 is a half ton truck. An s10 will not haul the same amount as a chevy silverado.

You're right. The 1500 is a 1/2 ton and the s10 is a 1/4 ton. Just like the Tacomas, frontiers, rangers etc..

GravelyGuy
06-27-2007, 02:43 AM
Just for the record, I have been towing with this truck for almost 3 years. No major problems yet. Be sure to use good common sense when stopping.

SiteSolutions
06-27-2007, 03:10 AM
Geeeeezz! Hope you're not towing that rig around at night! Looks like your low beams would be lighting up traffic lights and your high beams would interfere with low flying aircraft.

causalitist
06-27-2007, 03:12 AM
big breaks wont help you stop faster, they will just last longer and you dont have to push as hard.

alot of rubber in contact with the ground and alot of weight pushing down on it, now thats what helps you stop.

i pull a tiny 5x8 trailer with only a 48" wb on it with my 4 liter ranger.

it has a quarter million miles on it .. i got enough saved for a new truck, but im using this until it breaks ahhaha its almost fun thinking how much longer it'll last .. im living on the edge lol

hey, paid $600 for it, now thats what i call keeping overhead low.

AAR Lawn Services
06-27-2007, 03:56 AM

I work for an insurance company and this is how we classify Chevy trucks:

S10, 1500 = 1/2 ton
2500 = 3/4 ton
3500 = 1 ton

Other than that it's relatively easy to figure out for yourself. The S10's maximum payload (weight in the bed and cab) is 1185 lbs (http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/chevrolet/s10/8891/specs.html).

1/2 ton = 1102.311 lbs.

Richard Martin
06-27-2007, 07:20 AM
Just for the record, I have been towing with this truck for almost 3 years. No major problems yet. Be sure to use good common sense when stopping.

That is clearly too much weight for the truck even with the full weight of the Z on top of and behind the trailer tires. In a serious panick situation you will be out of control.

KTO Enterprises
06-27-2007, 09:34 AM
I work for an insurance company and this is how we classify Chevy trucks:

S10, 1500 = 1/2 ton
2500 = 3/4 ton
3500 = 1 ton

Other than that it's relatively easy to figure out for yourself. The S10's maximum payload (weight in the bed and cab) is 1185 lbs (http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/chevrolet/s10/8891/specs.html).

1/2 ton = 1102.311 lbs.

OK compare that 1102 with the payload capacity of a silverado of almost 1600.

Also look at the towing capacity.
Im not saying it wouldnt pull it. Im saying it wouldnt do it long. Especially if you got yourself into a pickle and had to maneuver quickly.

Another thing for whoever said bigger brakes doesnt mean stopping faster.
wrong, try again. Why do you thing corvette jams as big a rotor and calipers as they can in their cars. And its definately not because of wear.

AAR Lawn Services
06-27-2007, 10:42 AM
OK compare that 1102 with the payload capacity of a silverado of almost 1600.

Also look at the towing capacity.
Im not saying it wouldnt pull it. Im saying it wouldnt do it long. Especially if you got yourself into a pickle and had to maneuver quickly.

Another thing for whoever said bigger brakes doesnt mean stopping faster.
wrong, try again. Why do you thing corvette jams as big a rotor and calipers as they can in their cars. And its definately not because of wear.

I would hope the 1500 would have an extra payload of 500lbs considering it's cab can carry 3 more people than the S10 easily. That means that the effective weight you could put in the bed itself is close to the same. Another interesting thing is that back when the S10 was produced the light duty 1500 only had a max towing capacity of 900 lbs more. S10 has a max towing capacity of up to 6400lbs in my model year (2000) and the 1500 light duty was up to 7300lbs. The HD's and 2500/3500's are a different story of course. Those things are beasts and I'd love to have one.

Bigger rotors don't make a car stop faster. Corvette uses the biggest rotors possible because they dissipitate heat faster which means they can brake harder for long periods of time without experiencing brake fade. Being able to stop in a shorter distance has more to do with the brake pad and caliper design than the size of the rotor.

I know alot about cars (and trucks), engine theory, suspension theory, etc. as racing is a hobby of mine. I came here to learn about grass. :)

KTO Enterprises
06-27-2007, 11:12 AM
I agree that the s10 will tow a lot of weight. Especially the model with the 4.3 v6. Thats a stout motor. My only concern with towing something that large is that an s10 is narrower than the 1500. Tread with of a vehicle has a lot to do with handling characteristics.

I am guilty of over using a vehicle to tow, I used to haul my legends car around to various races across the south east with a 1979 Elcamino. That was lowered and filled with stereo to boot. Once I got out of high school I started moving up into real trucks.

I too am with you on automotive theory, etc. i have learned a lot from my father who has owned his own auto repair biz for 25 years.

I also left out calipers when I was talking about the Vettes. Its a combo thing. Cant have one without the other, but it is a lot more about pad and caliper selection.

Go to my public profile and check out the link to my site.

Richard Martin
06-27-2007, 01:26 PM
S10 has a max towing capacity of up to 6400lbs in my model year (2000) and the 1500 light duty was up to 7300lbs.

This requires a little clarification. Properly equiped S-10s have a higher tow rating, not all S-10s. The same goes for the half ton trucks. Things that can affect tow ratings are tranny (manual or auto), size of the truck (short or long bed), size of the cab, rear gear, cooling capacity and a few other things.

Additionally, the most important number is the Gross Combined Weight Rating. This number really tells what your tow capacity is. If your truck is rated to pull at 6400 GCWR and your truck weighs 3400 pounds empty then you can only pull a trailer that weighs 3000 pounds. You must also subtract any additional weight that you might add to the truck including passengers, anything put in the bed etc..

BTW, the 2000 S-10 was only rated to tow 6400 if equiped with the 4.3 V-6, 3.42 rear, 2 wd, auto tranny and the heavy duty tow package.

AAR Lawn Services
06-27-2007, 02:52 PM
This requires a little clarification. Properly equiped S-10s have a higher tow rating, not all S-10s. The same goes for the half ton trucks. Things that can affect tow ratings are tranny (manual or auto), size of the truck (short or long bed), size of the cab, rear gear, cooling capacity and a few other things.

That is correct, but its why I said "up to" 6400 and 7300 lbs. I was quoting the maximum towing capacity for the S10 and Light Duty 1500's.

BTW, the 2000 S-10 was only rated to tow 6400 if equiped with the 4.3 V-6, 3.42 rear, 2 wd, auto tranny and the heavy duty tow package.

Exactly what I have. It's quite impressive for a small pickup. I had no problem cruising 75mph OD in this truck down I-75 with an 1800lbs enclosed 6x12 loaded with all my belongings. It was easily quite a bit over 3000 lbs total and I had the bed loaded at the same time.

AAR Lawn Services
06-27-2007, 02:53 PM
Go to my public profile and check out the link to my site.

KTO, while we both race 4 cylinders it looks like you've got a little more time and experience in it. Thats a nice looking car you have there!

KTO Enterprises
06-27-2007, 03:02 PM
KTO, while we both race 4 cylinders it looks like you've got a little more time and experience in it. Thats a nice looking car you have there!

Lol I actually probably dont. I only have about 10 races in 4 cylinder asphalt. I ran a couple of years on dirt back in 1999 and 2000. I have a friend that is very knowledgable with them and he helped me out a lot. You running the 2300 ford? Where you racing at?

Richard Martin
06-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Where you racing at?

You need to bring that bad boy up here to the 4/10 mile at Southern National Raceway Park in Kenly. We have quite a few Mustangs that run in 4 cylinder there. 17 second laps usually, sometimes faster.

AAR Lawn Services
06-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Lol I actually probably dont. I only have about 10 races in 4 cylinder asphalt. I ran a couple of years on dirt back in 1999 and 2000. I have a friend that is very knowledgable with them and he helped me out a lot. You running the 2300 ford? Where you racing at?

No, I'm just a bit of a weekend drag racer. Honda.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/ryanverriest/2006_03060072.jpg

I'm not some dumb kid ricer though. I only race at the drag strip. Bradenton 1/4 mile.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/ryanverriest/img001.jpg

KTO Enterprises
06-27-2007, 09:51 PM
to Richard. I am not legal for the 4 cylinder division at SNRP. I have raced legends there before. very fast. Tons of banking. I am friends with Wil Smith in the 23 and 32 car. The one everyone complains about. I am supposed to drive for them one week as Wil wont be racing until september. He is getting married.

TO AAR. I have raced at the circle track at Bradenton next to the dragstrip wiht the legends car. I have raced 4 tracks in florida. Bradenton, Auburndale, Avon Park( track around highschool football field) And orlando speedworld.

I have had a lot of fun at those tracks, especially orlando and bradenton. the tracks are almost Identical. Tons of banking and very fast corners. Like driving in a soup bowl.

elmo1537
06-27-2007, 10:59 PM

A s10 is no wheres near a half ton truck. I own one I also own two one ton trucks. S10's are not made to haul loaded landscaping or mowing trailer on a daily basis.

I tried it when I first started not very cool. The day that I can use my S10 like a half ton truck is the same day that I will have a duramax in it and an allison transmission.

You are trying to compare apples and oranges when you compare a S10 with the heavy duty tow package and a half that has not tow package at all.

Nothing personal but I have never trusted insurance companies anyways.

AAR Lawn Services
06-28-2007, 03:02 AM
A s10 is no wheres near a half ton truck.

Did you read the rest of my post?

1/2 ton = 1102.311 lbs.

S10's payload of 1185 lbs > 1/2 ton (1102 lbs)

topsites
06-28-2007, 04:19 AM
Well if it were all perfectly flat, freshly paved 12-feet wide lane driving it probably might be ok, but it never is.

Get on a narrow road and the trailer tire ends up off road because there's an 18-wheeler
barreling around the turn coming towards you, the trailer is almost 8 feet wide with the tires
sticking out and it's a narrow road with barely 6 inches to spare on either side of your width!
We're not talking about a nice shoulder here, we're talking straight in the ditch, it's either the
trailer tire eats dirt or you risk 18-wheeler contact, which one is it?
The problem is come time to recover from this offroad situation, if your trailer weighs as
much or more than your truck, it can and will take the truck for a spin!
It could also be a flat tire or just an error in loading technique, maybe a badazz pothole
suddenly the trailer fishtails and you got yourself a real serious problem!

The brakes DO stop you faster when there is less brake fade, smaller brakes
can and do overheat going downhill, and if nothing else there's the labor of
replacing your pads...
But should you overexert your brakes then all it takes due of the intense
heat and pressure is a cracked disc or drum and you got yourself a very
serious problem number TWO!
Yes, I have seen cracked drums before, never a disc, but either is bad news.

This is the reason why I don't like going much over 3,000 pounds tow weight
on my 3/4 ton, the truck itself weighs 4 thousand and is rated to pull UP to
8,500 but WHEN my trailer loses control my truck stays relatively straight.

Certainly, keeping your distance helps, I like staying 6-8 seconds behind
the vehicle in front of me, with my D-2500, because this is not a game
of maximum performance uphill in the mud weight pulls here.

IF the s10 is a (4wd?) 6-cylinder it might be ok in a pinch, but I still would not recommend it.