PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Project tractor...can you help?

indydrew
03-09-2007, 11:22 PM
This is my first post in this forum, I hope there is someone who can help me out here.

I recently (2 hours ago) inherited a Craftsman mower when my father-in-law passed away a few weeks ago. It was a project tractor and he never got a chance to finish it. I know next to nothing about mowers and the like but I am going to finish this and get it running again.

My first problem is the model number sticker is gone, if I can get a manual I am halfway home, I hope. Here is what I know, I think it is a 1998 model. It has a 13.5 hp engine behind the seat and a 30" cut. Dark green and looks to have a Kohler OHV engine, not positive though. I do know the engine part number is 143.981300 but the Sears parts website doesn't seem to let you cross-reference.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Drew...

khouse
03-10-2007, 01:32 AM
No matter what engine you have you need clean fuel and spark to start with. What is it doing now? Can you post any pictures of the engine?

indydrew
03-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Thank you so much for the response!

After a little more looking with the body panels removed, I found that the fuel lines are missing, there is a screw in the outlet of the fuel tank (to keep it from leaking I suppose...) The air cleaner assembly is missing, I need to order that from Sears I would guess.

In short, I am a long way from telling you what it is doing or not doing. He told me it ran at one time and ran well.

I will get the fuel lines redone and figure out where they go, charge the battery and see if it will start. Then I'll post again with what I find...

Thanks,

Drew

DOLMARatOS
03-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Drew.

The engine is a Tecumseh based on the 143.XXXXXX number. You can get engine parts from ANY authorized tecumseh dealer along with the parts for the rest of the unit. The unit itself was made by Murray.

Jay