PDA

View Full Version : Class 3 hitch

Lynden-Jeff
03-09-2007, 11:26 PM
Hey,

Can some one confirm for me that a class 3 hitch has a capacity of 8000llbs? I read some where that "some" class 3's may be 6000 lbs. I have a standard DRAWTITE class 3 hitch, which I was told is the same company as Reese hitches.

Cheers
Jeff

Matts lawn care
03-09-2007, 11:43 PM
In the Pepboys add i just got they are selling a Reese class lll hitch. It says that it can hall a gross load up to 5,000

Eclipse
03-09-2007, 11:47 PM
I'm pretty sure class III is 5000 lbs weight carrying.

Lynden-Jeff
03-10-2007, 12:11 AM
Hmm looked it up and it says its a 6000 lb hitch. It says the class 3 and class 4 are both 6000lbs which I find odd. Is it really safe to load up 6000 lbs or is that pushing it. This is what I found on there site:

"
Class III hitches are weight carrying (WC) and also are weight distributing (WD) hitches depending on the vehicle and hitch specifications. Not all Class III hitches are rated to be both. The hitch specifications will alert you to a hitch that is not weight distributing. Class III hitches used as weight carrying is rated up to 6000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 600 lbs. Hitches that are used for weight distributing are rated up to 10,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1000 lbs. This style of hitch typically uses a 2" square receiver opening. The use of a ball mount and hitch ball of the same rating or higher is required. To use the weight distribution side of the hitch a weight distribution system is required. Class III hitches attach to the vehicle frame only. Always consult your owner's manual for vehicle rating."

How can I figure out which one I have? I purchased it at the time when I had a single axle trailer and more then 3500 lbs was never an issue. Even with my max load (a 553 bobcat and trailer) I should be under 6000 lbs, but my self I like to overdo this like this.

Cheers
Jeff

mmacsek
03-11-2007, 09:51 AM
The numbers you are looking for should be stamped on the hitch. Don't forget the ballmount/ball must also have the correct numbers. these should also be stamped on the mount and ball. Matt

SpruceLandscape
03-12-2007, 12:33 AM
I'm not sure what to tell you about the hitch itself, but If you are looking to make sure your ball mount is heavy enough, check out tractor supply. I was having a hard time finding a hitch rated for more than 5000 lbs that was at least a 5" drop. They have a line of forged drop hitches (I swear it weighs 20-30 lbs) that are rated for over 10,000 lbs. on a 6" drop and a 1000 lb tongue weight (thats the version I bought) that cost around $50. They also sell forged balls from 2" to 2 5/16 rated for 14,000 lbs. Hope that helps.