PDA

View Full Version : Troy Built Trouble

rockytopp
03-10-2007, 01:22 AM
Hey Gang,
I would like to get opinions on the latest Troy Built that Lowes sells. If any one has bought one in the last couple years, or new last fall or has any information on them I would like to hear it. It has the 171/2 Hp. Briggs and Stratton engine and from what I have heard and read on this engine it has some trouble with the valves. I have several in the line up to repair with the same engine but no Troy built's,,. Most are murray, Pulan ,Task Force. However they all have busted rods or piston's this was caused by low oil, I believe. thanks Paul.

dutch1
03-10-2007, 10:42 AM
Troybilt, YardMan, Yard Machines, Cub Cadet, and other names that don't come to mind right now are all psuedo names for MTD(Made To Die) manufactured products. Personally, I wouldn't own any of their equipment regardless of whether its a commercial or homeowner situation. Murray equipment is much the same and since it is now part of the Briggs system it remains to be seen if improvements in

dutch1
03-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Sorry, i must have hit a key by mistake and posted before I was through. As I was indicating, it remains to be seen if any improvements will be made in Murray equipment after the Briggs change over--my guess is that it will remain as their economy line.

In my opinion, there mfg's sell in the big box stores because they can sell massive amounts of equipment at a lower price and not have the responsibility for any service problems. Where do these units show up when service is required--at local shops who are not dealers for the equipment, then the customer becomes upset at the local dealer because it will be a 2-4 week wait for parts.

The shop that I worked at till '02 no longer accepts any Murrays for service and is currently cosidering servicing only what they sell.

Dutch