PDA

View Full Version : Stihl Chainsaw--Chain Brake is screwy

WJW Lawn
03-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Question-- I have a Stihl Chainsaw...that when you take the chain brake off...the chain still wont move and acts like the chain brake is still on. Then she smoked a bit...at that point I turned it off. Any ideas?? What do I need to do to this thing to get that chain going again? Thanks!

MowerMedic77
03-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Can you remove the bar cover/chain brake? The assembly may have failed, spring,band etc.

Birdhunter1
03-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Is it possible the chain is way too tight?

DaughtryLC
03-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Out of bars lube?

lawnspecialties
03-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Is it possible the chain is way too tight?

Been there, done that.:laugh:

SLR
03-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Gummed up with tree-type crap behind chain cover..mabey something that kicks chain breaker on/off broke and doesn't activate chain anymore?.. check and recheck/adjust those muffler bearings :)

WJW Lawn
03-10-2007, 10:59 PM
I hope the chain isnt too tight...my dealer put the thing on during its last service--carb rebuild. This chainsaw is worse than a boat---which is a hole in the water you dump your money into!! lol I think the best way to fix it is to run over it with my truck!

Birdhunter1
03-10-2007, 11:28 PM
From the oil pump on out to the end of the shaft it is a fairly simple to figure out system. Tear into it and you'll find it is not hard to fix, chances are your chain is so tight it will not turn, you have sawdust/grass/bruch pieces gummed up inside (probably between your chain drive teeth and spur gear).
What model saw is it?

WJW Lawn
03-11-2007, 09:56 AM
From the oil pump on out to the end of the shaft it is a fairly simple to figure out system. Tear into it and you'll find it is not hard to fix, chances are your chain is so tight it will not turn, you have sawdust/grass/bruch pieces gummed up inside (probably between your chain drive teeth and spur gear).
What model saw is it?

Its an 018C

AAELI
03-11-2007, 10:00 AM
A common but often overlooked problem is that the drive links on the chain have mushroomed due to slapping the bar when the chain was too loose. This will often drive the links in very tight and prevent the chain from moving.