PDA

View Full Version : Asphalt Sealcoating

EJK2352
07-19-2001, 08:52 PM
Anybody do asphalt sealing when the lawns dry up? I used to help my dad do sealing & was thinking about doing to get some money rolling in. What are you charging per sq. ft.?? ED

Guido
07-21-2001, 02:36 AM
for me to say. It all depends on you, your crew (if you use one) and the material you use, and don't forget prep time! Youhave to add in your overhead, etc just like any other job you do. Once you know how fast you could do a sq. ft. it would be easy to figure out your labor costs. You should already know what your overhead costs you per hour. You should know what you want to make for a profit per hour. Take those and divide them by the time it takes you to do a sq. ft. and you have your overhead and profit costs per sq. ft.

Then just add in the materials you'll use and divide them the same way, and you'll have your figures.

Hope I didn't confuse you, but its just basic pricing like any other job you may do. They all figure up pretty much the same.

Hope this helps!

EJK2352
07-21-2001, 04:05 PM
Thanks guido I've got a few bids out at $.08 per sq. ft., this seems to be the going rate in my area. :) ED

Guido
07-21-2001, 04:12 PM
your getting yours! :)

Good Luck and Glad I cold be of help!

BTW, do you get into any striping or stenciling in parking lots after you seal them? Theres good money in it, or so I hear, and its pretty easy. I have a good website with all the materials for striping, painting and sealing aspahlt and concrete surfaces., can't find it at the minute, but if you want it, e-mail me (guido@pjsnet.com) and I'll dig it up for you.

Later!

dan deutekom
07-21-2001, 05:05 PM
Not to cause a problem but I was listening to a radio show today and it made me ask a question. Why do we seal driveways? I have never seen them seal highways or large parking lots. I realize they are probably a different grade of asphalt but I was just in one of those ponder moments when stuck in traffic. On the roads I have seen them fill cracks but never seal.

Guido
07-21-2001, 06:35 PM
Its not common but they do seal roads and large parking lots. It fills in all the cracks that are too small for sealant and there are a few other reasons:

1. Waterproofing the surface
2. provide a new wearing surface
3. Make the surface non skid
4. prevent hydroplaning
5. Rejuvinate the look of old pavement.

So as you may see, it does have its purpose. BUT where people go wrong is sealing it every year so it looks "new" and black again. WRONG, its not a good enough reason!! Your just going to build it up so thick that your layers of sealent are going to start to crack and look like crap! It all depends what purpose the surface treatmentis being used for.

CT18fireman
08-20-2001, 10:35 AM
Guido
Shoot me that website if you get a chance. jessefry@ntplx.net
I seal many driveways every year because after plowing the sealer has been scraped away. Not all my drives are like this but many people like that new look. I would be interested in the striping becauase I have a job at a diner and will need to repaint.

Guido
08-20-2001, 11:50 AM
Hope this helps, let me know how you guys make out!

If you find any other sites in regards to sealing and striping, post them here so we can check them out.

rdh
08-26-2001, 11:05 PM
its around 10 cents a sq ft here.

the biggest reasons to seal drive ways . is to keep water from geting under it .also keeps oil, gas, and trans fluid from doing more damage than if it was'nt sealed.
also give it a like new look.
roads dont get sealed much because it fills the poars and you need them to stop (tire traction) public safty.

rdh
08-27-2001, 12:05 AM
i used to like to get aberdeens pavement maintenance magazine. icouldnt find there web site heard they changed names but it was good to read (sealing paveing snowplowing sweeping and striping) also trucks and equipment.

not sure but the new one mite be www.pavementonline.com

you should try to get some of the fliers that tell all about sealing to give to customers .they should be in the magazines to order

ttrost2
10-15-2005, 01:47 PM
Anybody do asphalt sealing when the lawns dry up? I used to help my dad do sealing & was thinking about doing to get some money rolling in. What are you charging per sq. ft.?? ED

if you are just starting out sealcoating like me
go to www.sealtuffmfg.com they have a rig called
acono spray its a 300 gallon tank with sprayer you can seal a 2 car driveway in about 5 minutes by yourself ,thay have very
good quality equipment and the prices are 50% cheaper
than all the other dealers

ttrost2
10-15-2005, 01:49 PM
sealcoating asphalt