PDA

View Full Version : F 550 Dump Capacity

Duramax8832
03-10-2007, 05:37 PM
I have found the numbers on towing capacity. How many yards of loam or gravel, can it carry? What are the dump bed pistons rated for? My friend had a F 350 that would carry a decent load but you would have to shovel some of it off before it would dump. I assume as far a Mulch, it will take more than the body will hold.

Gravel Rat
03-10-2007, 06:10 PM
A F-550 should carry 7000lbs of material probably more all depending on the size and weight of the box.

A scissor hoist is one of the worst types of hoist you can have because they power out. The only benefit is they are slightly more stable.

The scissor hoist adds atleast 500 or more pounds to the truck because you need a hoist with higher rating to dump the box because the scissor hoist has no power.

You put a Henderson or Del Hydraulic 11 foot dump box with a front mount post hoist you would beable to dump as much weight as the hoist can handle.

A front mount post hoist has superior lifting power the on the truck will bend before the hoist ever powers out. The hoist I have for my F-450 is rated at 8 ton all together at most weighs 300lbs. You have 8 tons of lifting power at the front of the deck will easily dump anything I can put on the deck.

Watched many scissor hoists power out and the people are on the deck trying to take some of the load off by hand.

hosejockey2002
03-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Before I got my truck I rented F550s on several occasions. They had scissor type lifts, but PTO driven, not electric over hydraulic. They could easily haul and dump 4 yards of topsoil or 3 yards of gravel. GVWR was 19000, and empty weight about 10,500 IIRC.

Total Landscape Solutions
03-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Hosejockey is correct on his weights and measures.
Mine has a 10ton electric scissor hiost. I've ran 550's for years and never had a trouble with a scissor hoist, even if the truck was very over wieght.

supercuts
03-10-2007, 09:27 PM
i just loaded mine today with about 12 heaping yds of mulch, i felt it and she was slugish. dumped fine iwth a 10ton rugy siccor lift.

Gravel Rat
03-11-2007, 12:56 AM
My 88 F-450 I had over 9000lbs of gravel on the truck a few times that is scale verified from the pit I buy materials from. The hoist on that truck is similar to the one I have now I looked up the rating its 12 ton on the second stage out of the 3 stages on the hoist.

Not bad for a hoist that weighs at most 300lbs where as a 12 ton scissor hoist is 600lbs. The forces applied to a scissor hoist is so great everytime you try make it operate the scissor hinge can break in half. Talked to a guy that happened to and it punched through the flatdeck.

A F-550 can easily handle more than what is "legal" load. You do need a 165 wheelbase truck with a 11' box the 141wb with a 9 foot box is too short. You end up with too much weight over the rear axle and it makes the front end float.

Duramax8832
03-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Gravel Rat that was my next question, what wheelbase would be best. Thanks guys, im off to get pricing now.. I'll let you all know how that goes.

TerraVenture
03-11-2007, 08:41 PM
I am on my second f550. I had an 04 that I traded for an 06. Both had 9ft dumps. I went with 9ft dumps because I plow and I want the shortest truck possible. Most landscapers that I see around here run 9ft mason dumps just as I because everyone plows. If you don't plow a longer wheelbase has advanatages. Evern though the chasiss is the same the 141 wheel base is only available in a a 17950 gvw. The front axle has been upped to 7000 and the rear is still 13500. I have gone across the scales as heavy as 23k! I know was way over weight but you would never know it.

Travel'n Trees
03-12-2007, 12:58 AM
Hey Duramax you already have heavier duty truck test it in real life watch your warranty if you plan on hauling gravel, or mulch can void your warranty contact FORD. I am finally selling mine this week what a joke getting a duramax 4500. Sorry Gravel rat I thought tou said you had a new one, before????:confused:

Duramax8832
03-12-2007, 08:05 AM
The big GMC's do look pretty bad ass..

03-12-2007, 05:03 PM
I was waiting for TT to chime in with his Ford bashing.
Hauling landscape material in a dump body will not void your warranty, as long as the truck is not overloaded. I asked the owner of the dealership I bought mine from. Ask your dealer, he'll tell you the same thing.
I think TT just pissed off the wrong people in the service department, now he's gotta bash Ford to get even.:laugh:

Travel'n Trees
03-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Sorry TLS but it will so will plugging in your cell phone in your ciggarette lighter (check owners manual). Yes I am wrong 1 yard of dirt killed all four transmissions in 3K miles???? Even though no dirt has been in it for 2 transmissions? Highway empty, overloaded, let me guess you to have worked in a FORD service department? Sorry I never even saw the people in Arnold Missouri, Erie Penn., Brookhaven, Mississippi, Crystal Springs, Mississippi, Crescent Ford New Orleans, I did see Blue Springs, in Blue Springs Mo, Midway Ford, Kansas City, Mo.. Maybe the owner was trying to sell you a truck?? No I don't bash I leave facts about Ford for simple consumer awareness, wish I others would do the same to help others from making the same mistake. Ask your dealer how much he alotted for warranty work before they cut the pay rate. And ask him if it is a big ticket item will he warranty it even if it costs him Thousands of Dollars in lost Hourly pay. Face it I bought it because they are cheaper and higher discounted, you might have too,(remember you get what you pay for, nothing on earth is free) I lost more than the cost of 2 trucks dealing with this, one.

03-13-2007, 07:26 PM
I needed a good laugh tonight, thanks!! :laugh:

Marek
03-13-2007, 08:16 PM
What page in the owners manual?

CNYScapes
03-13-2007, 08:38 PM
we have a 99' 550 with a 12ft dump. we haul and dump 5 yds of soil and gravel on a daily basis. It struggles, but it does it day in and day out.