PDA

View Full Version : 7.3 power stroke diesel

kandklandscape
03-10-2007, 10:17 PM
whats the life expectancy on these? of course depends on how you use them.

i hear they last 500,000 miles? motor that is.

yearts 99-03

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
03-10-2007, 10:20 PM
I'm curious too.

dcondon
03-10-2007, 10:27 PM
I have a 95 with almost 200K on it and still runs strong. Like you said it all depends on how you take care of them.

Snyderserv5060
03-10-2007, 10:48 PM
All depends on how well its cared for and such... ive seen on the diesel forums these trucks regurally with 300K+ still going strong. I think 500 is possible but if your towing a lot and all it may be a bit high. Its also not uncommon to see these things with 275-300K going for a good deal of money.
I picked mine up and while it is used its not even truely broken in yet :laugh:

Gravel Rat
03-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Usually for us in B.C. if the truck has more than 300,000kms 186,400 miles nobody is going to touch it. The truck itself is usually thrashed too it will end up costing more to repair the truck than buy a new one. I personally never seen a diesel pickup truck with 400,000kms 248,500 miles on it that hasn't rebuilt the engine or spent thousands keeping the truck running.

I guess you guys get more milege out of the trucks because they never get worked hard. Spend 90% of the time running on flat ground and straight freeways and no road salt.

The steep grades and up and down on the rpms kills the engines quick if you can get 350,000kms 217,490 miles your doing damn good. To replace a 7.3 PSD is 6 grand so you might aswell part out the truck or sell it for scrap and go buy a new truck. Just to replace and reflash the computer for a 7.3 PSD is over 1000 dollars.

The 6.5 Chevs are lucky to even break 250,000kms 155,350 miles but thats not trouble free miles. The injection pump has been replaced twice they are not cheap. The timing chain probably has been replaced along with other parts. A 454 lasts longer than the 6.5s.

The Dodge Cummins trucks usually make 400,000kms but you have dumped 10 grand keeping the truck together. Have a old 91 Dodge running around the area that has 390,000km on it and its had quite abit of money dumped into it to keep the truck going.

A PSD lasting 500,000 miles or 800,000kms is a pipe dream. The money spend trying to keep things repaired could have bought you a brandnew truck.

TXNSLighting
03-11-2007, 11:08 AM
no its not a pipe dream. my uncles 97 powerstroke went 360k before he sold it to the company he worked for back in 2001. the company just did the trans about a month ago, truck had almost 600k. original engine original everything. also worked for a ford dealer and saw many and many of them with over 400k. (several of them were hot shot rigs, so they towed quite a bit) and one 95 powerstroke that actually made it to a million. so they will make it. youve just got to keep it serviced correctly and drive it good. the powerstroke (7.3) will easily get 300-400k. dont know how long the 6.0 will run. but my uncles newest one, (which is an 03) has 215k and still counting.

GG386
03-11-2007, 07:56 PM
My E-350 (00) has got to have 160,000+ on it by now, and this this is loaded to the gills most of time and does do a fair amount of towing (7,500# plus range) and other than maintenance, it has been rock solid.

As I've said before- It IS MAINTAINED, not just lip service.

Guys you know the program, you have to pay to play. No light duty motor will live to 500,000 if it hasn't been taken care, pretty simple stuff.

Shady Brook
03-11-2007, 08:53 PM
I look at a lot of the truck papers listing trucks for sale, and the only trucks I see with consistantly high miles still running and for sale are the Dodges. The cummins being a 6 cylinder by design is a superior motor. I will see a powerstroke with 300k on it once and a while, but not regularly. I have one with 245k and if I put a but load of money in it, it would probably go for a while.

Like Gravel rat says, how much money do you want to put in a truck? Mine has had injector cleaner in it from it's youth but I bet it could use injectors. Injectors alone will run around 3k! A wireing harness goes.....could be 1k to replace. What if you loose the engine...6k min, and likley more! Mine leaks oil, starts hard, and runs like crap til it warms up. It is a 95, and has had the best of care.

Unless you are hauling trailers over the road I doubt you will see a powerstroke make 500k. The truck will be given up for junk even if you could keep the motor running.

Oh yeah...in order to get to 500k...how many transmissions you going to put in it?

To me these diesel pickup trucks are such a crap shoot. You risk good money on the initial outlay because it is a diesel and "will last forever", to then feel compelled to pour all your hard earned dollars to make it "last forever" to justify your purchase.

The fact is only the cummins resembles a big truck diesel, and they are not even in the same league as what we have in our pickups.

Yep, I will have a DT466 thank you.

:)

Snyderserv5060
03-11-2007, 09:09 PM
...This post being about a 7.3 diesel, yes if cared for you will see some good miles on the truck. As many many of the people i've talked to who OWN them have said your doors will fall off before that engine goes bad. I dont know about your area but the number of F250's and 350's (PSD) far far outweighs the number of GM or Dodge diesels. That's not to say im taking down about those trucks...hell I think the cummins is well proven itself but that GM cant get past the IFS setup but thats another can of worms all in itself.

If you pick one up with reasonable miles and care for it the truck will be around for a long time to come. I went from my gasser to the 7.3 diesel and there is NO LOOKING back. Any truck in the future will be a diesel!

stroker51
03-11-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm gonna try real hard to ride my 96 to a half a million miles before I get rid of her. Leaks no oil, needs glow plugs and probably injectors, but hey, that is routine stuff. My new set of BDP stage 1 performance injectors are going to cost around $1000 if my cores check out. My '97 rolled over 190K last weekend pulling a 20' gooseneck with my old 93 plow truck on it, ran like a champ. I haven't seen many 'strokes with 500K, but I looked at one the other day with 322K, and it drove like new. My uncle is crowding 300K in his 97, ORIGINAL TRANNY, this truck has pulled Skid steers and mini hoes since new. Another good friend of mine has 290K on his '96, original tranny, original injectors, drives it everyday, hauls hay, horses, cows, whatever he needs to around the farm with it. I drove it over the summer grossed out 20K+ hauling hay, you knew a load was there, but it still handled it with ease. My high school auto tech teacher has right at 300K on his 94, we put some Swamps injectors, a chip, and downpipe and intake on it about 4 years ago. He pulls a 28' enclosed down the highway like it's nothing. I think 300K is definately within reason, and depending on the truck, without having to dump a bunch of money into it. Diesels are more expensive, part for part, than gassers, but I've played the v-8 gasser game and the Powerstroke game, and I'll never be without a 7.3 PSD as long as I can find them in decent shape. My experience has been that the gassers will nickle and dime you to death over time, at least with my diesels, when they had issues it was all around 180K, replace a few pieces and keep on rolling. $10K to buy my '96, about $1500 in total repairs over 2 years and 50K miles, vs. $53K for the new 6.4 I looked at the other day, old 7.3 diesel wins.

kandklandscape
03-11-2007, 09:54 PM
we have never had a diesel truck, we have 5 trucks in our fleet, no diesels, but we think we are going to buy an f250 in the next few weeks, year 2000 and above. i will say that chevy makes a great truck! our 89 chevy shortbed is wonderful to plow with, 305 motor, nice motor. just used to gas motors, so diesel will be a big change

TXNSLighting
03-12-2007, 12:46 AM
the few guys that have said your going to be dumping to much money in the truck to make it go to 200-300k are just wrong. the trannys will make, it the injectors will make it. they obviously didnt do the things like change oil at the right intervals, trans oil. filters and so on. if you do all that. it wont cost that much, and you will get 300k-400k maybe more. and thats that. and yes you can get the same out of the cummins, but you have to take good care of it. cummins fail to. dont say its just the powerstroke. take care of it, it will take care of you.

Travel'n Trees
03-12-2007, 01:20 AM
Some do alot don't make it long 3k and my F-550 is wore out shot new motor turbo injector pump, transfercase, rear end, tranny, ecm, wiring harness, and a fuel line and has only hauled 1 load of dirt (1 Yard)and one load of gravel (3 tons). Voided the warranty because of that.

start2finish
03-12-2007, 06:58 AM
we have one with 140,000 and one with 195,000
both still going strong. I'm sure we will have some major repairs, but who can justify $50,000+ for a new one, that's is alot of repairs. take the $1,600+ a month in payments for two trucks and save it for the mechanic and it doesn't take a math major(degree) to figure this out.

Shady Brook
03-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Texanlawnandlandscape wrote
"the few guys that have said your going to be dumping to much money in the truck to make it go to 200-300k are just wrong. the trannys will make, it the injectors will make it. they obviously didnt do the things like change oil at the right intervals, trans oil. filters and so on. if you do all that. it wont cost that much, and you will get 300k-400k maybe more. and thats that. and yes you can get the same out of the cummins, but you have to take good care of it. cummins fail to. dont say its just the powerstroke. take care of it, it will take care of you.
Yesterday 08:54 PM"

You can believe what you want, and you may be right much of the time, but not in my experience. Where I get a good deal of my work done they work on all sorts of diesel engines. Basically they will work on mower diesel engines to applications for the mills, but mostly on medium duty and heavy duty trucks. They do not think the Powerstorkes are something you can count on for the long haul. Like I said I have been very precise with my fluid changes, nearly all her life using schaeffer oil with friction modifiers throughout. The truck was great til about 150,000, and really started to get expensive at 180,000. I expect I could get reliable service out of most gas units that are well taken care of at that amount of miles without the expensive repairs. I am due for my fourth trans as well!

C. MOORE LAWNS
03-12-2007, 10:23 AM
I just got my 7.3 Powerstroke and it is incredible. My mechanic, diesel friends, and everyone else has told me they last forever as long as you MAINTAIN them, not put a butt load of money in it. I guess I will find out for myself. You're almost on your 4th transmission already?? I'm guessing its an automatic? You're right about the Cummins, they're badass, but the rest of the truck is junk. I just got rid of my Ram 2500 4x4 and the body and all the other parts were junk! I put endless amounts of money into it and it still sucked!

TXNSLighting
03-12-2007, 07:20 PM
well maybe they dont last long were you are, but here where i am, i have seen many and many of them last a long ass time. anyone who says the powerstroke isnt good for the long haul must be on something. if you abuse them like tow way more than your suppose to, and put chips on them and all that, then no. but if you take care of them, and use them how their suppose to be used. then they will last.

cantoo
03-12-2007, 08:20 PM
I have a Chev with the 6.2 (I think) diesel in it. It has around 380,000kms on it. Just put a tranny in it last summer. I bought it used and it pulls a trailer most of the time. Tires, tranny and tomorrow a brake line are all we have done to it. I put a flat bed dump on it myself so we do haul loads with it.

I have a 98 Ford power stroke with over 380,000 on it. It was a former ambulance so was maintained pretty good. It needs front brakes but I want a newer unit to mount a dump box so it's for sale. I never even put it on the road. It does seem to run pretty good and because it was an ambulance it was kept in good shape.

I have a Chev Lumina mini van with over 390,000 on it we have done a few things, tranny, wheel bearings etc but not really that much. I don't do crap with the vehicles my wife looks after them, either she does the work herself or gets it done. I have no interest in cars or trucks. My son is doing an apprenticeship so he now does most of the work at his boss's garage.
I buy everything used and usually at an auction. I try to buy former municipal if possible, saftied every year and money is usually no object. They get free (discounted) parts to stay brand loyal so stuff is replaced regularly.

Tlc_concept
03-13-2007, 12:20 AM
The 7.3 is the single most unbeatable motor there is, ford made a mistake going w/ a 6.0 (ex in 03 yikes!!) I know it was emmisions that did that but nevertheless the 6.0 doesn't match the 7.3 in my opinon at all, The guy I get all my landscape supplies from has a 97 f-350 w/ 390k. You couldent tell at all, it could still pull a house down in fasion. Id recomend anyone to them, Honestly you can almost beat on them and they'll still start and run strong all day! When I get my new f-250 I refuse to get the 6.0 even if it is the newer 05-07 ID rather drive around a older 7.3 and wave as I pass the new ones w/ fried injectors!

Travel'n Trees
03-13-2007, 02:13 AM
TLC that also is known as a Dt444 one of the worst motors in international's history and 7.3 super duty is the second highest TSB's next to the 6.0. I will throw out my last fuel filter and cam sensor , ecm, injector pump, fuel line, turbo, to you and take you to dealer when they it is dusted because they saved a quarter when they built the air box. Remember Oreilly's is a parts store and you shouldn't have to make your back seat a parts store, to drive a truck.

TXNSLighting
03-13-2007, 11:07 AM
youve obviously got a ban one (one being key) they are not all like that. you can have the same problems with a duramax or cummins. its a machine remember?? some machines fail.

TXNSLighting
03-13-2007, 11:10 AM
and no the dt444 wasnt one of the worst engines. where did u hear that??

Travel'n Trees
03-14-2007, 12:34 AM
Go to any diesel shop. Why do you think they are so cheap?

stroker51
03-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Dude, we've had this discussion many times before, and all you try to do is scare people away from ANY powerstroke. YOU got a bad ONE, and have had issues with your dealer. I've got 2 7.3's flirting with 200k, and I'll buy another if I ever get the chance. There are just way to many Powerstrokes on the road for the 7.3's to be as bad as you say they are. I'm around 7.3's with 300K every day, and all of them are still good, solid machines. My uncle is a service manager for KCIR international in Topeka, and obviously they don't hold up as well in the big trucks, but in the PSD application, in the pickups, he has nothing bad to say, and works in IH engines everyday. Just look at the trucks working the oil fields and farms in western kansas. The only ones that hold up consistently to abuse are the Ford diesels. you won't find a dodge out there, and the chevy's are still far outnumbered. What those guys do to those trucks, pulling backhoes, loaded service bodies, lease roads, and sand instead of gravel, if that don't kill a truck nothing we do should.

Marek
03-14-2007, 06:57 PM
T & T what a flamer you are ! How many times on how many different site must we all ask you for proof . Put up or shut up ! Prove just one thing that you have said and maybe you will have some cedibility. Until then your just another a hole on the internet. If people want to complain about thier own truck then let them , but for you to jump on every Ford topic on every site is just nuts. I have 8 of them sitting here now with only a few trans problems in 2 of them. How would you like it if everyone told you that everything you own is trash? Here in MD there are far more Fords out there working everyday then either of the other brands. Why they fit our needs, as for the 4500 and 5500 series trucks, if you can read then go to the gm sites and look up all the problems they are having with them. As for the 444 engine a little under powered with a load , but gives you a good bang for your buck.It wasnt ment to be a high tourqe engine. There are alot of people on here that are new to the business, why would you feed them soo much BS? In case you havent heard all of the big 3 are in financial trouble so there is going to be alot of belt tighting going on.If your Fords were so bad why didnt you get them to buy them back? It happens all the time with all 3 brands.I dont hear you talking about the hitchs breaking off the back of the GM trucks or the trannies going south in the Dodges.You need to lighten up on the ford bashing crap we are all sick of hearing you wine! If they really did screw you, get over it life goes on...................

Travel'n Trees
03-15-2007, 12:00 AM
Tried to get them to buy it back it is a long process they are blaming international, international is blaming ford, but it goes past the motor, They didn't buy my expedition, or my cobra they did change the heads, cam intake throttlebody, mass meter and my headers and exhaust to try to get it close to the overrated 305 hp, my cobra R they bought back on the class action that was started. New guys can't afford the hit how much do you think it cost me by the time it was done, lost work, wages, insruance, airfare, hotel, fuel, motor, tranmission, turbo, motor, rearend 3k miles, screw the B.S.. It has cost my personal lowrider crewcab dually to be trashed because it has had to be my work truck since my ford couldn't. 100k to 130k do you think new guys can absorb this it put a dent in my lifestyle. What do you need invoices, ford bashes themselves, I just help bring it to life I have given references every dealership it has been in even one positive, excutives at FORD MOTOR COMPANY. I didn't say everything you own is trash I just explained how ford screws over their customers. I mean if you have a 2006 F-150 crew cab and you are driving and someone rear ends you and a fire or you fall in a lake and you can't get out and die do you think you should have been aware at claycomo Missouri f-150 plants employees were forced into double time to make sure the frames had not bent yet in the parking lot. Same thing 1997 bused the employees on double time 45 minutes to a air force base where they stored them. I don't lie to my customers and steal from them, and I no respect for companies that do. I will lose on a job rather than jepordize my quality. Don't you?? Marek??

Snyderserv5060
03-15-2007, 12:12 AM
I live in MD... went all the way to Texas to get MY F350 with a 7.3, the truck I wanted. Say what you all want but im VERY happy with my truck. I wanted a 7.3 because I wont touch a 6.0 but I find it hard to say that the 7.3 is the "second worst motor"!? Personally I think they have more then proven themselves!

Hey also tell me why here in MD there are a good 2-3 or more PSD's to every 1 cummins and far more then that to any duramax? Im not going to say the cummins is a bad motor but the rest of the truck...ehh no comment... and going to leave GM as im not a bow tie fan and GMs previous diesel was not much of a powerplant.
Tell me why all the govt trucks, comcast, verizon, BGE, and so on... trucks are generally PSD fords around here as well? If they are soo bad and why are they being soo widely used?

Your entitled to your opinions but dont sit here and just vent because you dont like the Powerstrokes!

desii
03-15-2007, 12:18 AM
I bought a used 99 F550 with a 7.3 and around 90K miles about 2 1/2 years ago for one of my crews. The motor had problems and I figured with the warranty good until 100K, I would be OK to get it fixed. They never really fixed the problems, and they seemed to keep multiplying until, finally, it needed more work than a replacement motor would cost. Granted, the previous owner did NOT take proper care of the engine and I took a risk. Anyway, I had a rebuilt Jasper motor installed last spring at around 130K. It cost about 10k installed but was way cheaper than the 45-50K replacement cost for a F550 Crew Dump.

So, I figure I should get a good 10 years more out of this truck and be ahead in the long run.

Snyderserv5060
03-15-2007, 12:28 AM
I just keep on hand bulk quantities of filters to keep on top of maintenance, the key is maintenance. But hey, isint that the key to a long lasting engine period? Sorry to hear about your truck but im glad its all working out for you now. Im sure now that its all fresh and will be maintained it will be around for a long while.
My bulk order for the powerstrokeshop.com arrived to day :) I recommend them to you PSD owners

Travel'n Trees
03-15-2007, 12:32 AM
Desii was it quote the dusted motor, they saved a quarter and dusted how many motors, one simple brace in the middle of the air filter would have fixed that, I have heard the excuse about KN filters are to blame and I have seen the on line video where they test the motorcraft filter colapses under the boost and dirt is sucked around the outside edge of the filter. a simple popsicle stick was put in the middle and filter across the airbox and it couldn't colapse, that is what is known as the quarter fix, their is one other called the $2 fix which has to do with grease zerks. Bulk orders of filters, I am guessing you carry the dreaded fuel filter, do you also carry extra cam sensors, amd ecm's?

Snyderserv5060
03-15-2007, 01:03 AM
Yup, filters (oil and fuel), got an extra CPS in the glove box (new oem ford for cheap just as a backup) and yes I have access to a spare PCM/ECM if needed but to date nothings been needed other then the filters :)

I would agree with you Travel'n Trees about the poor design of the filter box and some revisions could be made to make it seal better. The AIS version is a not super costly answer to this problem tho and filters well. I myself will just ditch the stock setup for a AFE with progaurd filter.

Now... on to the actual engine and why the 7.3 "is soo bad?" I see a large number of these online for sale with 250-350k on them still going strong. Hmm, so please do elaborate because the filter setup is not going to deter me from the PSD. Yea maybe the CPS (Cam position sensor for those who dont know) is a glitch...but its the PART NOT THE MOTOR. While is a pain in the ass and yes Ford needs to revise it and or repace these under recall, its a frickin 5 min swap just by getting under the truck.

PCM/ECM issues which while may be possible in these trucks are not related to the engine...look at the computer manufacturer of this unit, and im willing to bet money its not ford. Hell, with my Mitsubishi eclipse the ECMs are known for issues but that does not make the engine crap?

So, please do explain this

Travel'n Trees
03-15-2007, 03:13 AM
I never said it was just the motor it is the over all package the super duties with these engine are rated the highest TSB's, ford took some shortcuts that cost some of their corners dearly their, I bought my truck in Erie Pa. because I wanted a loaded crew cab 2 ton dump and the Gm price was out of my new businesses reach. I have 4 other diesels that do not have to change the fuel filters on the side of the road, no ecm's, no cps, (how many people have had their truck towed for these ones?). One of these is a dt466 but I did my homework and I don't have the 444 in my semi. I buy a truck to work for me, not for me to work on. Ford has a severe duty air filter (made by donaldson) for if I wanted to haul dirt, rock, mulch, coal, salt, or sand. But it to voids my warranty instantly. What about the EGT's with O.D. off at highway speeds. What about the TSB about the transfercase bolts looseing and falling out, my dealer had it out and check the bolts and decided it was ok and the transfer case fell out on Interstate 70 in the middle of the road less than 250 miles later. Ford says you hauled 1 yrd of dirt with this 2 ton dump truck sorry. Snyderserv, what you find as exceptable 5 minute repairs, and short falls that haven't cost you alot of money yet, are found as crazy to alot of others to accept if truck is under warranty. Fuel economy is low, high egt's greatly reduce mileage.

Marek
03-15-2007, 06:57 AM
I'll bet there isnt one person on here that believes that they voided your warranty for hauling one ton of soil. Once again prove it. If any of my trucks have to go in the shop they go to the front of the line and my salesman gives us what ever we want to drive till the truck is fixed. Its all about the dealer. What year was your ford again? Did you ever try looking at your states lemon law? There are far more happy Ford owners out there than there are people who have had major problems. There are 2 sides to every story and all we hear is yours,I'll bet there is alot more to this!

haybaler
03-15-2007, 07:28 AM
Cummins will consistently outlast any pickup diesel out there. There a medium duty rated diesel vs. chevy/ ford is light duty.

Snyderserv5060
03-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Ford says you hauled 1 yrd of dirt with this 2 ton dump truck sorry. Snyderserv, what you find as exceptable 5 minute repairs, and short falls that haven't cost you alot of money yet, are found as crazy to alot of others to accept if truck is under warranty.

First off, I can't say I belive this about your truck not being dealt with under warrenty. There is clearly more to this story we dont know... And in the case Ford did tell you this...I find you to be at fault for not taking the needed measures and or legal actions to rectify this situation!

I myself DO have warrenty coverage on my truck. I have the extra CPS just as a spare incase of an emergency, dont see any harm in that.

Also, if your dealers going to void your warrenty due to the HD filter setup...you need to locate a new one. Mine has no objections to this at all, its a HD stock system with much greater filtration!

Your entitled to your opinions, while im sure they are swayed due to you experience with your truck its not going to affect mine! Im still waiting for valid arguments as to why these motors are so bad and wont be around for a long time?

desii
03-15-2007, 09:49 AM
Desii was it quote the dusted motor.

I am guessing you carry the dreaded fuel filter, do you also carry extra cam sensors, amd ecm's?

No, it was injectors and other stuff, plus, it was blowing smoke most of the time. It was just an abused engine, IMO. Prior to the replacement, I did have an issue with the Cam Sensor, replaced it and everything was fine.

I also have an 02 F450 Crew Dump 4x4 with a 7.3 (my truck) and just this past winter it wouldn't get out of it's own way. The mechanic replaced the valve cover gasket and the injector wiring. $640 repair bill as I HAD to have this truck the next day for the "ice storm" (didn't have time to mess with getting it to a dealer, but it would've been covered). Ran great afterward as it was not firing on all cylinders for a while prior. Two weeks later, the Cam Sensor went (but I wasn't sure that's what it was at the time)...dropped it off at the dealer, $100 deductible. Had them check out a previous exhaust leak....I'm now having both exhaust manifolds replaced (broken studs) and still under the original $100 deductible.

Those are the ONLY problems that I have had with my '02 7.3 and now I know what to look for and have a spare Cam Sensor in the glove box. But, honestly, between those two trucks, it has only happened 2 times in over 3 or 4 years.

Bottom line, I like my 7.3's and wouldn't have it any other way. JMO.

J&R Landscaping
03-15-2007, 10:19 AM
A local Tow truck driver had a 7.3L last him to 412k before it got rebuilt. The engine was a pre powerstroke non turbo in a F-super duty.

ED'S LAWNCARE
03-15-2007, 05:39 PM
Changing feul filters on the side of the road????? Why?
I have a 02 stroker just turned 110k could not be happier.

True story.

Wife took the truck to home depot 2 weeks ago she came home laughing. On the way home (we live 12 miles out of town) there was a Dodge 2500 (her term diesel new truck) with a goose neck and "some sort of tractor on it" stuck on the side of the road with the trailer wheels in a ditch. She had the guy hook my chain on his truck and "my wife" pulled the Dodge and loaded trailer out of the ditch. She says now she knows why I brag on my ford so much.

When I bought my truck I also test drove 02 2500 cummings I felt it could not compare to the 7.3 stroker. I'm not knocking it but for real work I'll stick with the ford.

green_mark
03-15-2007, 05:43 PM
What kind of mileage do you get with your 7.3?

Snyderserv5060
03-15-2007, 08:23 PM
With my dually on stock tires I got 16-17ish highway. Now with the larger tires and winter fuel its gone down a bit but remember I have a dually with 4.10s so im at the lower end of the spectrum. Hell my 1500 Ram with a 5.9 V8 only got 11MPG highway so im not complaining!

About fuel filters on the side of the road? huh, not sure I follow that one. I know that the CPS could pose a problem and be fixed on the side of the road if needed but yea im sure its another T&T post...

ED'S LAWNCARE, there was a article/picture in the Sun Paper here in MD when we had all that snow of a F350 PSD pulling a few semi trucks up this hill since there were all getting stuck :laugh: Could have been used as a Ford ad as it made it quite clear the truck means business and can surely handle the job.

Gravel Rat
03-15-2007, 08:26 PM
I have a 03 F-450 2wd now with 6.0 PSD 6spd and personally I don't think I would go back to a 7.3. I have good luck with my truck so far I changed the oil and filters etc and running good oil.

The 6.0 is quieter has more power I'am getting used to driving it and it will hustle where the 7.3 lacks. I'am also getting better mpg with the 6.0 the truck weighs 1000lbs more than my 95 F-450. My 03 weighs 9300lbs empty so its a heavy truck. The truck has 4:30 rear axle gears which is a little taller than the 95 with 4:63s.

I have had a 7.3 IDI powered F-450 too it weighed 7900lbs 5spd it was slow as mollasis on the road but it did the job. The original engine in it barfed at 186,000 miles. The truck wouldn't go any faster than 49 mph because of the gearing but it used to get a steady 12mpg. My biggest worry about the old IDI was the GP system if it ever failed the truck wouldn't start.

Now that I have a "Superduty" truck I'am used to the bigger and more room in the cab. I got in my 95 F-450 I still have and the smaller cab is really noticeable.

The 7.3 PSD is a good engine but after you experienced the power of the 6.0 it hard to compete :laugh:

Snyderserv5060
03-15-2007, 08:42 PM
Those who have success with their 6.0's im sure like them and I myself sure wont sit here and say its crap. If your lucky enough to get a good one then GREAT but its sad that they had to do buy backs and ditch the motor in so little time. I know the 6.0 is a bit more refined and such but hey that trans is more designed that way while the 7.3 trans is more working. Im very happy with the 7.3 and was firm on that when buying. If I was gaurenteed a good 6.0 I may not have been so worried but thats me.

Im glad your happy, just another happy PSD owner which is all that matters

Gravel Rat
03-15-2007, 10:11 PM
I think it all comes down to with the 6.0s is maintenance and a dealer that knows what they are doing. The dealer my truck originally came from sells Sterling heavy trucks too and the mechanics there work on diesels. Many of the Ford dealers don't have compentent diesel mechanics so they ended up throwing parts at the truck to try fix the problem.

I don't have a tuner on the truck so that eliminates one of the problems. The fuel where the truck come from is the same low sulfur that is sold here. The truck was worked so the engine never got carboned up that was killing the turboes on the 6.0.

You look at the problems people have and it is partly their fault but they think the engine is a piece of junk. Blowing head gaskets is one problem usually the truck has a tuner and they are driving the crap out of it. Turboes and EGR valve failing its from people idling their truck too long. Fuel injector problems stems from people not changing the fuel filter and buying poor quality fuel. The oil changes are important with the 6.0 people not doing them or running poor quality oil and filters they have problems.

Snyderserv5060
03-15-2007, 10:25 PM
Once again I agree maintenance is key

Gravel Rat
03-15-2007, 11:07 PM
I'am a stickler on maintenance especially oil changes even when oil for a 18 litre of 15w-40 is close to 70 dollars CND and a oil filter is 40 dollars and the fuel filter is close to 90 dollars.

I just reshod the truck with recapped drive tires today a 225/70R19.5 bandag is 204 dollars each cost me 1000 dollars for 4 tires. This summer I will need 2 new steer tires that will be another 600 dollars. The bandags will last me atleast 2.5 years the tread on them is 22/32s compared to a new tire 18/32s.

The truck still had the factory original drive tires which had 59,000kms (36,662 miles) on them which is darn good for OEM Generals. I probably could have gotten more out of them maybe another 6000 miles but the LMT 400s worn down are too slippery for any kind of offroad work. The new bandag Gripper tread howls like a banshee its the first time I'am using the gripper deep cap. I usually run bandag CTD tread cap but when you get in sticky mud they turn into slicks the tread doesn't self clean.

Snyderserv5060
03-15-2007, 11:12 PM
off topic but ive been happy with my BFGs. Ive got 33" BFG ATs on my dually. Its been all over in the mud, sand, snow :laugh: Tires arent cheap. Id recommend u look into ordering from the powerstrokeshop.com for your filters. I dont know the exact cost of 6.0 parts but they save me a good bit off my local prices on my 7.3 parts.

Gravel Rat
03-15-2007, 11:30 PM
I have to factor in shipping because once something has to be mailed across the boarder to Canada it gets pricey.

Travel'n Trees
03-16-2007, 02:57 AM
Snyderserv look at all the postabout these trucks, marek I have even gave out the name and numbers of FORD MOTOR COMPANY executives, and dealer owner cell phone numbers, customer service reps private lines, dealership numbers posted recipts I don't know what more you could want. I wish everyone would call them 10x a day. The state says ford is a large employer in our state we will look into that, answer 3 months later we are still looking into this matter, repeatedly.

Marek
03-16-2007, 07:18 AM
I have a friend here in MD who had GM buy back his duramax and it took 18 months. This guy was a die hard GM guy with lots of chevy hot rods, now he has a custom 450 hauler.Post a link to the place these iteams are posted, sure we would all love to see them.

Guthrie&Co
03-16-2007, 08:14 AM
Cummins will consistently outlast any pickup diesel out there. There a medium duty rated diesel vs. chevy/ ford is light duty.

The 7.3 is a medium duty diesel.

TXNSLighting
03-16-2007, 07:47 PM
Desii was it quote the dusted motor, they saved a quarter and dusted how many motors, one simple brace in the middle of the air filter would have fixed that, I have heard the excuse about KN filters are to blame and I have seen the on line video where they test the motorcraft filter colapses under the boost and dirt is sucked around the outside edge of the filter. a simple popsicle stick was put in the middle and filter across the airbox and it couldn't colapse, that is what is known as the quarter fix, their is one other called the $2 fix which has to do with grease zerks. Bulk orders of filters, I am guessing you carry the dreaded fuel filter, do you also carry extra cam sensors, amd ecm's?

dreaded fuel filter?? my god man, your something else. ecm's??? you dont knoe much do you? cam sensors go around every 100-150 thousand miles, but u probly dont know that.

TXNSLighting
03-16-2007, 08:00 PM

Thats a moron statement! Its not a light duty diesel.

C. MOORE LAWNS
03-16-2007, 08:26 PM
All I gotta say is my 7.3 kicks ass so far and I feel sorry for whoever started this discussion because it has turned into a crazy opinionated arguement! :drinkup:

stroker51
03-17-2007, 03:24 PM
I agree, however everybody who is anti-psd, including and maybe limited to Travel n trees should take a look at what texan has said, and look at his sig. He's got a Cummins now and STILL admits/recognizes the 7.3 is a good, solid engine. Moral of the story, there will be good engines and bad engines in every truck. As a rule, 2 million plus 7.3's on the road, they're a pretty good engine. travel n trees, it sucks you've had so many problems with yours, but for you to tell everybody, everytime a powerstroke is mentioned, that all Ford's are junk, that's total BS.

TXNSLighting
03-17-2007, 07:22 PM
i agree! the 7.3 is a rock solid engine. id give anything to get my 99 back. that truck went through hell and just said, is that it? and yes i like the cummins too, yet the truck is junk, but it does look good. travelin trees is just mad about his, and wants to make everyone believe their all like his. well their not, and thats all i have left to say.

stroker51
03-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Amen Texan, Amen:)

Brett's Cutting Edge
03-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Me and my frien d looked a t a 95 chevy w/ 350,000 on it and it ran fine. The seller was the original owner and just had the trans rebuilt 50,000 ago. truck looked and sounded good.

Wesley's Lawn
09-04-2009, 03:24 AM
95 with 500k no major motor work, Biggest things besides routine maintenance we have done is replaced the glow plugs and had a high pressure fuel line go so we replaced them, other then that a great engine. In regards to the other statements, we have only done the tranny 2 times.

esnipe8
09-04-2009, 01:18 PM
2001 PSD 4X4 4" lift crew cab 195,000K

Locked my keys in the other day and had to crawl under to get my spare. It made me notice that nothing had one sign of leakage. Rear end, transfer case was dusty, but bone dry!

This has been the best vehicle we have ever owned. Oil changes, fuel filters, two batteries, tires, brakes once, and that is it!

farmboy1285
09-08-2009, 04:26 PM
I see old farm trucks with the 7.3 Powerstrokes or the international 7.3's with 400,000 or more on craigslist all the time.

AEL
10-04-2009, 10:38 PM
I got a 2003 f250 with the 6.0 . I love my truck. Yea i have just had to get a new fully built tranny and torque converter, and rear end and driveshaft. But thats my fault. Im not easy on the truck. The truck has gobs of power , tows whatever i throw at it.

Btw- my truck makes 560 to the wheels, and i still have stock head studs and head gaskets. ( 80,000kms on the mods)

Maintenance and the way you drive are key. Like said before every brand of trucks has its bad ones.