PDA

View Full Version : too much twist on trailer

Allens LawnCare
03-11-2007, 09:22 AM
I have a 6.5x14 trailer noticed a couple of things, the angle iron from the main frame to the rail(Also angle iron is Cracked) if you have an open trailer you know what I'm talking about....can this be fixed with a quick weld or shoud I grind them down and replace every 18 in piece. Also the Pressure treated deck is only screwed down over the axel. should I drill holes (Every two feet) in the angle iron under the deck and secure to every piece of iron under the deck, If I have it on my truck and I walk to the front of my trailer, and stand on the left hand side it twist.....it does the same if I stand on the front (Right )side. Anyhow, Anyone have any idea how much it might cost me to get this welded

troblandscape
03-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Let me guess?.... Carry-on?

Allens LawnCare
03-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Carry-on??? No Idea I bought it used, at night of course I'm bringing it back to the dealer tomorrow and telling him, I either want some money off what I paid for it or take it back. It's a Performance trailer 6.5 x 14 he told me they overloaded it once but looking at the tires, there isn't any uneven wear so the axels okay and it doesn't wobble or bounce when towing it! I'm just concerned with the welding cost!

SpruceLandscape
03-12-2007, 12:10 AM
I wouldn't even screw around with it. If there is a crack in the frame and you weren't given an opportunity to see that before you bought it then take it back and get your money back. Remember, its more than just what it would cost to fix it, its the possible cost of a lawsuit if something were to break while in-tow and cause an accident or hurt someone. If you are not comfortable with the way the trailer performs with just you standing in the corner of it, will you be comfortable with it when there is a few thousand pounds of equipment parked on it? Just my opinion, but I would take it back and keep shopping around. If you are interested in a good quality open trailer, check out Bri-mar and Top Brand. They are not the cheapest, but by far are some of the best built if you are looking to keep it for a long time. Good luck

SpruceLandscape
03-12-2007, 12:26 AM
Also, avoid the side mounted swing-away style jacks. They tend to fatigue the trailer prematurely just because of them being placed off-center. If you find a trailer that you really like that has one of these, go ahead and buy it, just make sure it has provisions on the tongue to mount a center jack later. If you store equipment on your trailer like I do, you will definately appreciate that! A good quality 2k lb. jack with either a top or side wind design can be had for under $40 with a sand foot on it. One of the trailers that I bought a couple years ago had this same scenario. You wouldn't believe how much it twisted when I would put it down on the side mounted jack even when it was empty! Every bit of 2-3 inches, and that was when it was brand new. Imagine how much when it would have been 4 or 5 years old.

cantoo
03-12-2007, 08:05 PM
That's standard for an angle trailer. You can beef it up by welding a higher rack across the front to stiffen it up. On the back you can weld a heavier piece across underneath the frame. This might hit on hills so make sure you know what you are doing. I still build a few trailers for sale and you do get what you pay for most of the time. Let us know what your dealer says about giving you money back on a used trailer. Did he offer a warranty?

SpruceLandscape
03-13-2007, 08:55 AM
WHOOPS!!! lol My mistake. I guess I overlooked the fact that he stated the trailer was made of angle iron. I have never used an angle iron trailer... mostly because there are pleny of C-channel trailers at good prices to be had if you are willing to do a little bit of searching, especially on EBAY.

pclawncare
03-13-2007, 01:09 PM
My performance trailer is about 2 yr old an so far i havent been too impressed with it. After 8k miles i had to replace all 4 tires and after i called the compnay about 2 hr from where i live they told me it was a recall on the tires that were on my trailer and they would replace for free but i had to take my trailer down to them so they could see the tires on the triler. Then id get the exact same tires that were on there just new ones. So in sted of wasting my time and gas i just bought 4 new heavier tires and said screw it. My trailer has the 4ft mesh sides on it. At the lot they felt very secure and sturdy but they had to build my trailer custome because i wanted certain features anyway there is no bracing for the sides that keep them from moving. When i hang 2 trimmers on the side rack and go down the road the sides move so much im kind of supprised one hasnt broke yet. I am also not real happy with the construction of the trailer if you stand on the rear corner and just kind of bounce your weight up and down you can see the whole trailer flexing and moving. I didnt go cheep i paid very fair price in fact now a couple yrs later i feel that i got screwed real good. I thoguh i would get what i paid for and the trailers on the lot seemed pretty sturdy but i dont know if it is because i got the 4 ft sides but mine almost seems flimsy o well i guess im older and wiser now ill know better next time to stay away from performance trailers

Allens LawnCare
03-26-2007, 10:47 AM
My performance trailer is about 2 yr old an so far i havent been too impressed with it. After 8k miles i had to replace all 4 tires and after i called the compnay about 2 hr from where i live they told me it was a recall on the tires that were on my trailer and they would replace for free but i had to take my trailer down to them so they could see the tires on the triler. Then id get the exact same tires that were on there just new ones. So in sted of wasting my time and gas i just bought 4 new heavier tires and said screw it. My trailer has the 4ft mesh sides on it. At the lot they felt very secure and sturdy but they had to build my trailer custome because i wanted certain features anyway there is no bracing for the sides that keep them from moving. When i hang 2 trimmers on the side rack and go down the road the sides move so much im kind of supprised one hasnt broke yet. I am also not real happy with the construction of the trailer if you stand on the rear corner and just kind of bounce your weight up and down you can see the whole trailer flexing and moving. I didnt go cheep i paid very fair price in fact now a couple yrs later i feel that i got screwed real good. I thoguh i would get what i paid for and the trailers on the lot seemed pretty sturdy but i dont know if it is because i got the 4 ft sides but mine almost seems flimsy o well i guess im older and wiser now ill know better next time to stay away from performance trailers

I got a great deal on it so even if I sell it in two years I'll make something on it, I needed to dump my 10' trailer because I purchased a Zeroturn....Maybe next year I'll go with an enclosed

AbsoluteH&L
03-26-2007, 11:23 AM
That's standard for an angle trailer. ... you do get what you pay for most of the time. Let us know what your dealer says about giving you money back on a used trailer. Did he offer a warranty?
I have a 6.5 x 12 Diley steel deck and mine doesn't twist that much, not empty. I was a little apprehensive about the steel deck, now I love it!