PDA

View Full Version : How clean do beds need to be before mulch?

Gbug
03-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Just wondering how well I need to blow out the beds before doing a mulch job. In the past I have had them completely bare before putting down mulch, but I'm thinking I can get by with leaving some leaves in the beds. The leaves should all decompose anyway right? Do yall have a rule of thumb for how many leaves can remain under the mulch?

Carolina Cuts
03-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Just imagine it's your own house. Do the best that you can...The work you do reflects your biz. I always say... Do it right or don't do it at all.:clapping:

PaperCutter
03-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Think about the phone call from the homeowner when they see last fall's leaves poking through the mulch after the first heavy rain. Cheaper for you to clean the beds thoroughly than to waste gas and time on a goback.

Woody82986
03-11-2007, 09:00 PM
I try to get the beds as clean as humanly possible. I wouldn't want leaves or a few weeds popping up through the mulch aftr a month or two. A leaf here and there probably won't make a difference, but don't get too lax on cleaning the beds.

sildoc
03-11-2007, 09:26 PM
We clean all leaves out. we spray all weeds with non selective herbacide and wait a week. then lay mulch. if in a big rush we clean leaves trim weeds down spray non select on them then toss mulch. Now we also offer to get all weed material out but customer ulually opts for non select herb. I cant think of but a couple of times where weeds that were there to begin with pop out.