PDA

View Full Version : Goats and sheep instead of a lawn mower

LawnMower
03-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Iv heard that either goats or sheep will eat the grass perfectly level with out leaving holidays or clumps. Now if this is true, couldn't you offer that as an alternative to a lawn mower for some customers?

How about if there's a field with lots of bushes and steep hills that needs to be cleared. If you set a bunch of goats or sheep in there, wouldn't they do the job in a timely fashion?

I had a clearing job last year and there was hills and rocks with thickets. It was kind of dangerous because we couldn't get a machine in there. Just loppers and a chain saw. I could have fenced it in and set loose the animals. Come back in a week or two, and its done.

I'm bored and its the off season so I'm thinking about things.

Duncan90si
03-11-2007, 08:16 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I don't know if I have ever been that bored. This thread should get interesting.

Sydenstricker Landscaping
03-11-2007, 08:17 PM
What are you a hillbilly????

Woody82986
03-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Go for it! Let me know how it turns out... Better yet, give me directions so I can take a road trip and see that in person. I want to know how you would charge for that service. Per goat? Per square foot? Per load of goat droppings?

THEGOLDPRO
03-11-2007, 08:26 PM
haha yeah im not gonna lie to you this is theiweirdest question i have seen in a long ass time, lol

ACutAbovesiny
03-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Are the goats licensed and insured?? Are they union? These factors may affect the price. LOL.

Tahoe1889
03-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Drop by the customers house and tie the goat to the tree. Tell customer I'll be back later for billy the goat. :usflag: To see the customers face that would be funny

Az Gardener
03-11-2007, 08:54 PM
There used to be someone on site with the signature line at the bottom that said...

"if one of these goats are missing when I get back I am going to charge you for it"

I have heard of one "organic" gardener woman doing that here in town. She comes in with her trained Pygmy goats they eat the grass while she cleans and trims. That was a couple of years ago.

I have though about training monkeys to pull weeds and clean the debris out from under plants myself and we don't even have an off season.

Tahoe1889
03-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Will the Monkey speak English or Spanish??

Kate Butler
03-11-2007, 10:54 PM
Goats prefer brush - bushes and scrub. Sheep prefer grass - it has to do with the way their teeth are 'mounted' in their jaws. So-ooooo, you run the goats first to get the big stuff gone and then the sheep to get the grass down. BTW, the sheep do better on shorter grass.

Remember the range wars of the American West??? Cattlemen versus sheep herders? The sheep crop (eat) the grass too short for the cattle to get to. Logic could have avoided the conflict by running the cattle first and the sheep after because the sheep are capable of cropping grass more closely than cows. Men with guns and logic have never been particularly compatible. But that's another thread.......

For about 10 years I had 2 sheep who mowed my grass for me. Worked really well and became quite a tourist attraction.

David C.
03-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Horses will do the same thing-----in little or no time----there'll be nothin'---and I mean, NOTHIN' green growin' on the ground

Horses don't like slopes like goats do, though!

I have a buddy over in Georgia who bought some "Cut Over" land----growed up heavy in thicket stuff----fenced the acres in---and bought him a herd of goats. They ate everything living in that cutover!!!

grandview (2006)
03-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Lawnmowers crew at work!:laugh:

S man
03-11-2007, 11:01 PM
This is the stupidest thing I ever heard. You're kidding right?

Parched1
03-11-2007, 11:08 PM
I Kid you not but I have seen a request from a government facility that was requesting exactly this goat grazing/ browsing service. The beauty of it is that only a few provide this service. No license or insurance required, no social security and no workers comp. I have also seen where they use sheep on closed landfills to control the vegetation on steep inclines that tends to get torn up by mowers and tractors.

RedMax Man
03-11-2007, 11:11 PM
You need your head tightened and you gotta get a life. Thanks for the laugh though this really dumb and funny at the same time. lol

I want to know who is going to be the first to get a fleet of those robotic mower and set them loose in a sub division and come back to get them at the end of the day. That would be cool.

LawnMower
03-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Go for it! Let me know how it turns out... Better yet, give me directions so I can take a road trip and see that in person. I want to know how you would charge for that service. Per goat? Per square foot? Per load of goat droppings?

Per load of goat droppings?...now here's something. The fertilizer program for the customer is in the goat / sheep droppings. You can charge for that.

The animals are mowing the lawn and fertilizing it at the same time. This is the most efficient lawn operation ever.

I Kid you not but I have seen a request from a government facility that was requesting exactly this goat grazing/ browsing service. The beauty of it is that only a few provide this service. No license or insurance required, no social security and no workers comp. I have also seen where they use sheep on closed landfills to control the vegetation on steep inclines that tends to get torn up by mowers and tractors.

I'm telling you.....Goats and sheep have there place in this business. But the thing is you cant just throw the animals in the garage when you don't need them.

Sandgropher
03-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Goats and sheep are the only way to go in this business, i ditched all my equiptment and now run crews of sheep and goats, the beauty is i can offer free fertilizer to ;)

DiyDave
03-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Kate is 100% right, Goats will eat out brush-even poison ivy! Only problem with goats is fencing them in-best fence for a goat is a border collie. We used to raise a sheep or two-chained them to a big ol wheel&tire, they could pull it, but not very far. I guess all the city folks on this site forget where we came from!

Tinkerer
03-13-2007, 02:34 AM
Since fertilizer comes out the other end of the goat or sheep, the EPA might want you to have a liscense for that.

Brianslawn
03-13-2007, 02:41 AM
if youre that bored... you could start a ms lawnsite thread.

Sandgropher
03-13-2007, 02:52 AM
There was a guy here that started a thread last november pure genuis he was, had the same idea, check out his thread ;)

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=165709

RedMax Man
03-13-2007, 09:16 PM
Man, there some wacked out funny ideas out there.:laugh:

TurfConcepts,Inc
03-14-2007, 01:07 AM
When i was in college, one of my Ag professors talked about this. I remember he said he knew a local lady who hired out her goats for land clearing services. I don't know if she's still around but I did find this

http://www.goatbrushers.com

Sandgropher
03-14-2007, 09:09 AM
You blokes mark my words, in ten years time all the sponsors on lawn site will be goat,sheep breeders and large pen makers (fences)and related items.

You will be saying to your kids "when daddy was a boy we had these mower things, dangerous and noisy they were ,,,,,,,,,,,,,:usflag:

LawnMower
03-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Ever look at old farm pictures. If there's a field in the picture there's no grass in it. All the fences or stone walls are right down to the dirt. That's right...........cows and goats and sheep and horses. Unless of course they just cut the field for hay. I guess they would have used a reaper for that.

Back in the day no one had a lawn mower. The animals just walked around the house or anywhere they were fenced in. Even the trim was was done.

I bet with the right amount of training and encouragement....ol Bessy and the heard could do a sharp edge on the trim and beds.

tallrick
03-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Funny I met a guy once who had built a robotic mower out of an old Snapper walk behind. It had an on-board computer and interfaced with his DVR system at home. You mow by remote control once and the next time it's fully automatic. He moved to central Florida and the grass was just too much so he now has goats. The mower is still used around the house ( I think) but the goats are everywhere else. The grass is uneven, but never over 6 inches, and there are never any bushes or small trees except pine trees. Must be picky goats~!

The Captain
03-14-2007, 05:59 PM
I was wondering if you guys with the "Goat and Sheep Lawn Service" charge extra for the fertilizer application and if the animals are licensed as applicators?

road
03-14-2007, 07:13 PM
You fellas are missing the real gold mine. You could charge nothing and still make money. The land owner gets the benefit of natural fertilizer and shorter grass and you get to raise your goats, sheep, brangus, whatever and sell them afterwards. Sorta like a gypsy rancher. The cost of that fence might be a tad difficult to absorb however.

LawnMower
03-15-2007, 06:11 PM
You fellas are missing the real gold mine. You could charge nothing and still make money. The land owner gets the benefit of natural fertilizer and shorter grass and you get to raise your goats, sheep, brangus, whatever and sell them afterwards. Sorta like a gypsy rancher. The cost of that fence might be a tad difficult to absorb however.

Ya, kind of like a double whammy. Its a win win situation. Kind of like the local nursery, they charge you to dump grass clippings and leaves. They compost it, then they sell it back to you when you need some compost.