PDA

View Full Version : My first flat fee job

Remote Pigtails
03-11-2007, 08:07 PM
On the advice of a fellow Texan on this site I tried flat fee pricing. For somebody who has been t&m for 27 plus years it was a major adjustment. I was doing a water conservation upgrade on 20 year old brass head system. I switched out 91 heads to hunter institutionals with check valves.The hunter rep asked me to give them a try. I may do a follow up on the pros and cons versus the 1804 prs/sam. I also replaced all the nipples. (For those that don't know these have press comp in the popup stem. ) I read the meter before and after the job. All the zones showed savings of at least 5 gpm with my best being a drop from 33 gpm to 18 gpm. This was due to previous poor repair work by people who only carried 15 ft spray and used them on parkways and other spots. I bid the job at 28/hd. i kept notes to compare to t&m. With my t&m method my final price was about 200.00 higher. BUT I liked the flat fee pricing method. It allows me to give good approximate costs on overhauls and it protects me if more heads are involved than originally planned. I still think I prefer t&m on the smaller service calls but will be using flat fee on the larger overhaul jobs.

Wet_Boots
03-11-2007, 08:22 PM
I would tend to flat-fee the four-figure jobs anyway, just because customers would worry about cost overruns, and because I never mind having a signed agreement and check in hand.