PDA

View Full Version : So, who's started spring clean-ups in the NorthEast (I'm on L.I.)

lawnguyland
03-12-2007, 02:22 PM
I finished preparing for the season yesterday and was going to start my spring clean-ups today (Mon 3/12). I loaded up, went to first place at 8 am and said fugheddabout it, everything was frozen. Of course I noticed my lawn was frosty this am but I thought if I waited a bit for the sun I might have some luck. No dice. I went back home, unloaded and then did topsoil deliveries instead and visited some nurseries (most have no new stock yet FYI). I saw nobody out doing clean-ups today, and I was on the lookout. Good thing, anyone working this am is dumb and will have nice tracks in the lawns from crushing frozen crowns. However, this afternoon seems like it would be okay to work.
I think I'll try again mid morning tuesday. Anyone else started yet? It would be a bit earlier than normal for me if I could start this week so I'm hoping to to a few done to get the rust out of me bones.

If you started spcu's yet (especially power raking / dethatching) where are you located? If not, when do you plan to start and where are you. It's supposed to get cold again so we may be able to squeeze in a few days and then have a good excuse for taking off St. Patty's day weekend! Hee hee hee. Good luck this year!

ACutAbovesiny
03-12-2007, 02:29 PM
We are ready but it looks like heavy rain on Thur and Fri. Dont want all that seed to wash away. If the weather holds up we will def be out next Monday. We do dethatching all our props.

GreenN'Clean
03-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Just did 2 clean up jobs today first ones of the year!!!!!

creatived
03-12-2007, 02:49 PM
I AM ALSO FROM LI AND I GOT UP AND WENT OUT SAW 2 OR THREE LCO'S OUT WORKED SOLO JUST DID SOME PRUNING AND REMOVING DEAD WOOD OUT OF BLACK PINES ETC., TOMORROW I AM GOING TO START CLEANING OUT BEDS AND MAYBE USE TWO GUYS TO HELP I AM DOING A MAKEOVER ON THE PROP I WAS AT TODAY AND IT IS HUGE SO I WANT TO GET A EARLY START AND GET IT OVER WITH FELT KIND OF GOOD THAT I WAS ONE OF THE ONLY SCAPERS OUT IN MY AREA MAYBE PEOPLE NOTICE THAT. ANYWAY GOOD LUCK.:usflag:

lawnguyland
03-12-2007, 02:54 PM
We are ready but it looks like heavy rain on Thur and Fri. Dont want all that seed to wash away. If the weather holds up we will def be out next Monday. We do dethatching all our props.

I do my clean-ups a little differently in that I'll go once and clean out all she crapola and thatch, mow, do beds, plus whatever and then round two I go and put down seed, peat, lime, pre-emerg, fert, etc.

lawnguyland
03-12-2007, 02:57 PM
I AM ALSO FROM LI AND I GOT UP AND WENT OUT SAW 2 OR THREE LCO'S OUT WORKED SOLO JUST DID SOME PRUNING AND REMOVING DEAD WOOD OUT OF BLACK PINES

Did those punk arse beetles eat your black pines (fungus too)? They nailed Jones Beach.

I was doing soil deliveries today and didn't even hear a blower much less see anyone else out. I think tues and weds would be good and weekend forget it.

creatived
03-12-2007, 03:02 PM
SOME MOLD AND SCALE THESE TREE'S NEED TO BE SPARAYED AND DOPED UP BAD WOW I WOULD LOVE A SPRAY RIG AH MAYBE NEXT YEAR I AM IN THE HAMPTONS AND THOSE TREE GUYS GET RICH TO QUICK. TOMORROW I AM GOING TO WORK A FULL DAY I AM GETING ANTSY AND NEED TO GET AWAY FROM MY NEEDY FIANCE. SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH*trucewhiteflag*

jt5019
03-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Im hoping in another week or two here in Conn . right now the lawns are muddy as heck and they say by the end of the week it might get below freezing again(atleast during the night).

MSS Mow
03-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Still got snow on the ground here in Maine. It's melting fast, and with the heavy rain coming Friday, hopefully the snow will be gone. I can't get too anxious though. It's only the 2nd week of March. Mowing won't start for me until end of April, 1st week of May.

Also, they are forecasting some cold weather for the Northeast for Sunday, so don't get too excited yet. Winter may not be quite over yet.

I have spent today cleaning up the garage, washed the snow plow (salt), run the Z's for about 20 minutes, just getting ready you know. This weather is getting everyone excited about spring. I like the time change early too!!

PORTER 05
03-12-2007, 04:07 PM
ya havnt started yet, but i cleaned the garage took everything out started it, ran it cleaned everything,a nd clean 1 truck, prounly wont start till the 26th of march

jrc lawncare
03-12-2007, 04:42 PM
18'' of snow on the ground. All equipment just about ready, though.

lawnguyland
03-12-2007, 04:48 PM
thanks for the replies...may be able to squeeze in some wok the next day or two...who knows...

stuffdeer
03-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Yea, Everything is absolutely a muddy mess here. There is no way I can even touch my properties without even messing them up. I was acually hoping to start next monday.

Dstosh
03-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Not yet, at the earliest April 1st

GLLawns
03-12-2007, 05:01 PM
I decided to drop 700 postcards in the mail friday morning to cover a couple of my money maker streets. First thing saturday morning calls came in for cleanups. I just got back from doing the first cleanup of the season, small property but a quick $100.00. Boy I'm not sure about you guys but I just realized how out of shape I've gotten in just 3 months.

supercuts
03-12-2007, 05:30 PM
hey, CT Shoreline here, speaking of muddy messes, i was dumb enough do to a job today york raking a few years of leaf buildup off a hill. WHAT A MESS! it started cold enough buyt by 10am the ground started to thaw when the sun hit it. it took a while to fix the bad i did, could imagine how quick it would hvae been if it was dry. spring cleanups starting next week if all is well. NO MORE WINTER BLUESSSSSSSS!!!

AL Inc
03-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Yeah, maybe a little too early, lawnguy. I'm sure we can get other work done, but as far as thatching and clean-up, I think it is a little early. I was out this morning, we started prepping all of the machines, I only saw one guy out with a load of mulch, that was it. I'm going to do what I can this week, I have some work for the skid, and some rip out work.

grassmannj
03-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Did one clean up today my own property,Lots of guys out in the malls getiing ready for mulch. But no reseees yet.

Scagguy
03-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Down here it's crazy with work. Leaf clean ups, landscape jobs, sod installs and regular lawn care. All the marketing that we did over the winter is paying off....huge!! We got a ton of rain last night which we needed, but has pushed us back at least 1 more day if not more. It's all good here. Good luck to you guys up there.

lawnguyland
03-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Yeah, maybe a little too early, lawnguy. I'm sure we can get other work done, but as far as thatching and clean-up, I think it is a little early. I was out this morning, we started prepping all of the machines, I only saw one guy out with a load of mulch, that was it. I'm going to do what I can this week, I have some work for the skid, and some rip out work.

I agree, I'm just itchin! Everything's ready and loaded, extra spools wound, blades, filters, greased, blah blah blah. I even shrapened the spades, picks, etc. Today I did topsoil deliveries instead then took a long drive around to the nurseries and plant places for fun more than anything, but I got some more catalogs (although nslga show is 1 stop shopping!) and make sure accounts were active and current. I'm thinkin next week too, but I also believe I will go around the route tomorrow and start by picking up branches, big sticks, any leaves in corners maybe. Whatever I can do now is less I have to do when crazy time comes.

PS Anyone know where to rent a dingo as close to Garden City as possible? I found one in e. northport which isn't too bad stright down Jericho but fi anyone knows of Toro dingo rentals closer to western nassau/ queens please let me know. Bissett is too dang far. thanks

N.H.BOY
03-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Still snow up here in N.H. warm today(mon.) 60 on wed. SO maybe melting is on the way. Not ready to put snow plow up though. Up here I have seen snow in May:dizzy: :dizzy:

DiyDave
03-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Just put in 2 yards of topsoil and hauled out a load of sticks and debris. Love these jobs where I get paid to haul both ways!

lawnboy150
03-12-2007, 08:16 PM
not working yet....prepping equipment this week & we'll wait it out...I'm in no rush...there's plenty of time to get work done....

as for the dingo---I believe Village power tools in huntington has one for rent.... not sure on the attatchments they may or may not have...

lawnguyland
03-12-2007, 08:30 PM
not working yet....prepping equipment this week & we'll wait it out...I'm in no rush...there's plenty of time to get work done....

as for the dingo---I believe Village power tools in huntington has one for rent.... not sure on the attatchments they may or may not have...

Thanks lb150, huntington might be useful.

lawnboy150
03-12-2007, 08:32 PM
you may even try "the mower shop" in hunt station....a bit closer to jericho. not sure if they have one....call ahead...631 424 6800-mower shop 631 421 5020 Village power

lawnguyland
03-12-2007, 08:33 PM
[QUOTE=lawnboy150;1747535]not working yet....prepping equipment this week & we'll wait it out...I'm in no rush...there's plenty of time to get work done....
QUOTE]

Plenty of time nuthin! I start weekly maint. 4/17.. If I start clean-ups next week it will be only 4 weeks for clean-ups (though I'll still do them afer weekly starts). If we get a lot of rain or cold it gets super busy, fast.

ManorD24
03-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Lawnboy150 is right about village power, as of last year atleast and i'm pretty sure one broadway rental in huntington has one also

scottish lscape1
03-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Goal is Monday the 19th to start cleaning up sand in the parking lots. Still need to finish 2 larger winter hardscaping projects. Good Luck Everyone!

mattfromNY
03-12-2007, 08:56 PM
This picture was taken at about 6 PM tonight. Lots of snow on the ground yet.
The only cleanups I'm doing is whatever these critters leave for me:laugh: !
Thats my 3 year old daughter, my Beagle, my Lab/ shepperd mix, and my pure bred chocolate lab puppy, we went for a walk on one of the snowmobile trails tonight. 75524

EDEN77
03-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Started the season today after it got above freezing. Raked up tree branches from the tree islands along a neighborhood street. Wish there was a machine that picked up branches instead of me raking them. It sure felt good to be outside working again, that's for sure !

THEGOLDPRO
03-12-2007, 09:22 PM
next couple of weeks im sure, depends how soft the ground stays, its just too muddy and soft right now, i might start sand clean up at my commercials before then we'll see.

lawnboy150
03-12-2007, 09:24 PM
next couple of weeks im sure, depends how soft the ground stays, its just too muddy and soft right now, i might start sand clean up at my commercials before then we'll see.

my thoughts exactly

THEGOLDPRO
03-12-2007, 09:31 PM
my thoughts exactly
yeah i mean there is no reason to jump the gun and try to work too early, only thing that comes of that is destroying people yards, and having to fix it later, ill wait the couple extra weeks and do it right the first time.

lawnguyland
03-13-2007, 06:58 AM
yeah i mean there is no reason to jump the gun and try to work too early, only thing that comes of that is destroying people yards, and having to fix it later, ill wait the couple extra weeks and do it right the first time.

Right- which is why I didn't do any clean-ups yesterday and will start with other stuff this week. But, no way I'm sitting around when the best weather of the next week will be today and tomorrow. I gotta get out and do something! I'll punch myself if next week comes and I've done nothing and still can't work because it's too cold and rainy.

Thanks to the guys for replies about huntington, I'll check it out. Never used a dingo and have a job it would seem perfect for. I want to play with a new toy.

scottish lscape1
03-13-2007, 01:37 PM

6" of mud & then solid ground, as of today just equipment maintenance, estimates, etc.

THEGOLDPRO
03-13-2007, 02:12 PM
6" of mud & then solid ground, as of today just equipment maintenance, estimates, etc.same here tomorrow morning im going to get everything ready for work, change some oil, clean the trucks up, got a few flat tires from stuff sitting, rake some gravel back ect......

lawnguyland
03-13-2007, 08:11 PM
Today I cleaned up catalpa tree seed pods then rewired the trailer. tomorrow will be almost 70. I'm gonna do a least 1 or 2 clean-ups tomorrow then some estimates, then keep an eye on the weather for possible snow (eeeeek) though i doubt that wil happen.

lawnboy150
03-13-2007, 08:17 PM
watch the weather........rain coming.......then colder again...40s.

scottish lscape1
03-13-2007, 09:21 PM
same here tomorrow morning im going to get everything ready for work, change some oil, clean the trucks up, got a few flat tires from stuff sitting, rake some gravel back ect......

Goldpro. How does that Dakota w/ the Blizzard move snow? Do you tow with it as well?

Uranus
03-13-2007, 09:38 PM
What? Your doing what now?
*rubbing eyes and yawning*
It's time to do cleanups
*stretching*
I just woke up from my hibernation. That dam sun got in my eyes. Who ordered spring?

I hope to be out there on the 26th. Most lco's thin that we wont be able to get out there until the first week of April. We have snow in the shadows and all the plow snow banks are still there. I think the snow will be gone by wed. of next week and things may be to wet to work. I'd like to get half a dozen done before the first so I can get some money in. Time to rock and roll.

THEGOLDPRO
03-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Goldpro. How does that Dakota w/ the Blizzard move snow? Do you tow with it as well?
it plows driveways great, its the perfect driveway truck, anything more is just waisting your time, plows too small and trucks too light.

as for towing with it, yeah we use it alot, its got a 4.7 litre v8, same as the base modle rams have, but it weights about half that of a ram so its full of balls.