PDA

View Full Version : Best Spring Clean-up Methods??

McFarland_Lawn_Care
03-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Hey Yal....
I going to be honest here. I've tried to stay away from most spring clean-up jobs in this area in the past just for the reason it is soooo time consuming and ends up running up a large bill for the customer. Just curious if there is a better way to get all the old leaves and twigs/branches off the lawns. I've tried a "power broom" and the tow behind lawn sweeper too, and neither seem to work that well on larger lawns. Good luck... and may a green season be ahead!!! :usflag:

Give me any feedback....thanks!!:)

Drew Gemma
03-12-2007, 02:40 PM
first off a good late fall clean up is a start. then in the spring we just hands and knees pull few leaves out from under bushes pick up trash cut back any plants that needs so and then we use a stick edger to get the edges fresh so when we start mowing the string just glides right through.

dcondon
03-12-2007, 03:04 PM
It depends, do you have a lot in Sedgwick that you can just blow off the lawn. I know your going to be doing most of them in the country.

DiyDave
03-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Bend over, pick up stick, throw on tarp, drag the full one to the truck, repeat ad nauseum!

grapeford
03-12-2007, 09:14 PM
I agree with Drew Gemma, the key to a easy spring clean-up is a good fall clean-up. We come in with 2 Walkers w/dethatcher rakes, edge and clean-out the beds, fertilize... off you go.

JayD
03-12-2007, 09:19 PM
I just put a bid on some commercial work and they have thirteen locations.While I was serveying the properties I had noticed how much trash,liter,all kinds of crap all over the grass to be mowed and I thought that I would have to spend so much time picking up all of that crap,for one, I would not tear up my mower cutting it, but I insisted that they have a spring clean up before the first mow for safty more than anything and they like the ideal and said yes.Just picked up a couple grand by doing that.

ed2hess
03-12-2007, 09:55 PM
So why can't you mulch all that stuff up ......mulch plate over outlet and grind it all up and spread it with big blower. There isn't no cleanup in our area just start mowing. We are faced with huge amounts of leaves this time of year but just mow them up. These big mowers grind this stuff into nothing.

JayD
03-12-2007, 10:09 PM
So why can't you mulch all that stuff up ......mulch plate over outlet and grind it all up and spread it with big blower. There isn't no cleanup in our area just start mowing. We are faced with huge amounts of leaves this time of year but just mow them up. These big mowers grind this stuff into nothing.

No, what I ment was stuff that when snow plowing was done, it pushed all kinds of junk like hub caps,car parts,bottles,cans,many things that would tear up my blades or mower.

Drew Gemma
03-12-2007, 10:21 PM
see in the winter all that junk ends up everywhere it is to cold and no one goes out and picks trash out of the snow.

On are high end clean ups we do the following we only have 2 like this but they pay huge money:

limbs, leaves,trash
stick edge hard surfaces
cut prune anything that needs it at the time
1st round of snapshot in beds
drain clean huge pond scrub rocks
check all filters
check all lights
remove burlap winter protection

lawnguyland
03-13-2007, 06:47 AM

I think mulching would work for you, but here people and spcus are different. We dethatch and get every speck out of the lawn and beds. Mulching would get you fired. In the spring and summer I mulch grass, but not during clean-ups.

Blessed 1
03-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Blow to to get access and then Big Block Lazer Z XS with mulch kit does it every time. Its amazing what the XS can do!:weightlifter: