PDA

View Full Version : Flex fork shimmy !!

jcltyson
03-12-2007, 05:40 PM
PJ.
Just started the 2007 season. Today when transporting from one location to another (riding my Super Z) on asphalt, utilizing full throttle, all of a sudden my flex forks began a violent shimmy (both flex fork units were going far right then far left, very rapidly, over and over). After slowing down the mower they would straighten back out. Then applying full throttle again would cause the same reaction again (after a few seconds at full throttle). I haven't experienced this before. I'm running 9 lbs. of air in both tires. Whats going on?
JT

mowerconsultant
03-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Tire pressure could be a little higher, but you likely need to tighten your caster fork bolts a bit, if that doesn't do it we have a friction washer you can bolt in to stop this from happening.
This is not the Flex Fork's doing this, it can happen on regular casters forks also.

Mickhippy
03-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Ive had this happen on the normal forks. Found the bolt was loose.

gene gls
03-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Tire pressure could be a little higher, but you likely need to tighten your caster fork bolts a bit, if that doesn't do it we have a friction washer you can bolt in to stop this from happening.
This is not the Flex Fork's doing this, it can happen on regular casters forks also.

P/j,
Mine S/Z has been doing the "shimmy" for the last 4 years. When did they come out with " friction washers"??? Where do you put them? Batcher never said anything about them...Thanks.....Gene

mowerconsultant
03-12-2007, 11:11 PM
P/j,
Mine S/Z has been doing the "shimmy" for the last 4 years. When did they come out with " friction washers"??? Where do you put them? Batcher never said anything about them...Thanks.....Gene

The new washer came out last summer.

Install part # 798603 washers on both front wheel forks.
When installing the new washers, use LocTite 242 on the threads of fork
bolt and torque to 75 ft lbs.
Starting with serial number 06042681, all Hustler Super Z's have the 798603 washer installed at the factory.
Starting with serial number 06062009, all Hustler Super Mini Z's have the 798603 washer installed at the factory.

Imow4u2
03-16-2007, 04:13 PM
I often wondered about this but did'nt say anything... My Dealer probably thinks I B!tch too much as it is !!!!!

puppypaws
03-17-2007, 08:28 PM
PJ.
Just started the 2007 season. Today when transporting from one location to another (riding my Super Z) on asphalt, utilizing full throttle, all of a sudden my flex forks began a violent shimmy (both flex fork units were going far right then far left, very rapidly, over and over). After slowing down the mower they would straighten back out. Then applying full throttle again would cause the same reaction again (after a few seconds at full throttle). I haven't experienced this before. I'm running 9 lbs. of air in both tires. Whats going on?
JTMy Super Z did the same thing when I bought it last spring. I checked the air pressure and it was 12 lbs., I let all four tires down to 8 lbs.
and did not have any more problems and the mower rode much better. The
flex forks had nothing to do with it I have seen the same thing happen with
the standard forks.