PDA

View Full Version : Ruts after the job is done

j9sheldon
03-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Hi all, I'm in TX. I just started and have done a few jobs. I seem to always not have enough dirt left over and it leads to ruts or lines left in the customers lawn. Obviously I can carry several bags of soil with me to fill in afterwards, but I just was wondering if I am doing something wrong with the digging. I have the same problem when I use a trencher or dig by shovel.

thanks in Advance

Bigred350
03-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Do you haul any dirt off after you do a install. If so it sounds like you are hauling to much away.

We always mound the dirt up over the trench and it will eventually settle.

bumper
03-12-2007, 07:30 PM
You'll be surprised the amount of dirt you lose by placing on existing sod, if you can, put the dirt on tarps, and backfill as soon as possible, same day of course.

j9sheldon
03-12-2007, 07:56 PM
no, I don't haul the dirt away, just never have enough leftover to backfill

Dirty Water
03-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Your in texas clay? Thats a common phenomenon.

I know you guys don't plow down there, but thats one of the reasons I like plows.

If your trenches are low now, at least that means your tamping them well. A lot of guys will mound and not tamp and you end up with a ditch in a year.

Remote Pigtails
03-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Your in texas clay? Thats a common phenomenon.

I know you guys don't plow down there, but thats one of the reasons I like plows.

If your trenches are low now, at least that means your tamping them well. A lot of guys will mound and not tamp and you end up with a ditch in a year.

I will have you know that The Great State Of Texas is very diverse! (soil wise that is). Here in Big D we have soil left over quite often in our blackland clay but go east or west of here and you get into red sand or east TX sand. Austin area is a lot of rock. We water our ditches in. If the grass grows over before it settles it looks really tacky.

unit28
03-29-2007, 08:23 PM
Hi all, I'm in TX. I just started and have done a few jobs. I seem to always not have enough dirt left over and it leads to ruts or lines left in the customers lawn. Obviously I can carry several bags of soil with me to fill in afterwards, but I just was wondering if I am doing something wrong with the digging. I have the same problem when I use a trencher or dig by shovel.

thanks in Advance
Hi Sheldon,
I'm from TX and I do have a license.
That's one thing they really didn't teach us in irrigation school right?LOL

I used to have the same problem. I thought the dirt needed to be flat leveled, so I would haul some off. After a few days I'd get a call back because the trench line sunk in. Just leave it mounded up a few inches across the whole line, it settles down easy enough on it's own.

If it's real bad get a piece of pvc with a water hose adaptor and slice the pvc end at 45 degrees, jab the mounds and flood the trenches after you've set the heads.

Also you can set the heads and run the system before you backfill.
That might help too, to settle the dirt.

There's more that one way to skin a cat bubba..LOL:drinkup:

I got my license in 99, and Jerry Lewis was my teacher.

Good luck.
LI7146

Mike Leary
03-29-2007, 08:25 PM
Water backfill & add topsoil...works every time

Mike Leary
03-29-2007, 08:57 PM
Water backfill & add topsoil...works every time

Mite not have given enough info: water trenches AS you are backfilling,
that beds the pipes & wire & no "trenches" will happen. Topdress to grade
& you'll look like the pro-from-Dover!