PDA

View Full Version : Advertising results 2007

Precision
03-12-2007, 10:19 PM
As some of you may know, I tried alternative advertising methods last year and did rather poorly, along with some other issues, like stupid employee tricks costing accts.

But this year I am doing door hangers and lots of them.

to date.

Began distribution, first week of March
cold (for florida weather and no rain have the grass fairly dormant)

by 09 March. +/- 4100 flyers distributed -- theoretical yield 41 calls over 4 weeks

9 phone calls received total
------------------------
8 from potential clients
1 from a complete nut job ranting and raving
---------------------

2 confirmed clients
2 possible clients for starting in 2 weeks
3 tire kickers
1 insulted by the need to provide a credit card, serious dirtbag signs.

I will try to remember to keep updating this thread each week with new numbers and what I did.

AlleganyLawnCare
03-12-2007, 10:28 PM
I just had 1/4 page ad come out in the free weekly newspaper. It is to run for 2 months. I also have a 5-liner ad coming out in the daily newspaper this Thursday for 30 days. My yellow pages colored business card-size ad won't be out till July (sucks), so that doesn't help me any. I will let you know the results of the 2 paper ads on a weekly basis. Hopefully, you will be able to use some of the data when it comes to your advertsing program. My area of reach for the ads btw is approx. 100,000 to 150,000.

Lynden-Jeff
03-12-2007, 10:29 PM
For me I sent out 7000 flyers for the first wave today, should see calls for the rest of the week. Another 10,000 going out in 3 weeks and another 10,000 2-3 weeks after that so I will keep you guys updated. Also keep us update on your progress!

Cheers
Jeff

Leisure Time Lawn Care
03-12-2007, 10:36 PM
I Have 350 Post Cards going out this week and 6000 door hangers and flyers that I am going to start to distribute this weekend. I will let you know....

Scott

Kickin Your Grass
03-12-2007, 10:56 PM
We passed out 665 door hangers today and will pass out the other 335 tomorrow evening when we get done mowing.

I already received one call for an estimate on cleaning out some flower beds.

I am really looking to pick up about 20 regular residential mowing accounts off of the 1000 door hangers but I'm not going to complain what kinda work I get off them.

I just thank God that he provided me with a business and I don't have to work for someone else making $X amount per hour.

Ramairfreak98ss
03-12-2007, 11:34 PM
What areas are you guys in that your mowing already? lol florida and texas? :p

Im going to be passing out flyers end of this week and maybe next week, since its supposed to be 72 this wednesday... Yet it snowed 2" only 5 days ago so that doesnt help when people see lawn care flyers...

advanced-prolawn
03-12-2007, 11:47 PM
I started last week putting business cards in peoples doors. I am going to try to get out at least 750 a week. Only 2 calls so far. Have any of you had good response from business cards?

Precision
03-13-2007, 07:25 AM
I started last week putting business cards in peoples doors. I am going to try to get out at least 750 a week. Only 2 calls so far. Have any of you had good response from business cards?

never tried that. For me, I think door hangers are much more effective, look better, project a better image, and don't really cost that much more. But hey, whatever works is a good method.

Leisure Time Lawn Care
03-13-2007, 08:45 AM
Any one advertising in Michigan yet?????

bullethead
03-13-2007, 10:28 AM
As some of you may know, I tried alternative advertising methods last year and did rather poorly, along with some other issues, like stupid employee tricks costing accts.

But this year I am doing door hangers and lots of them.

to date.

Began distribution, first week of March
cold (for florida weather and no rain have the grass fairly dormant)

by 09 March. +/- 4100 flyers distributed -- theoretical yield 41 calls over 4 weeks

9 phone calls received total
------------------------
8 from potential clients
1 from a complete nut job ranting and raving
---------------------

2 confirmed clients
2 possible clients for starting in 2 weeks
3 tire kickers
1 insulted by the need to provide a credit card, serious dirtbag signs.

I will try to remember to keep updating this thread each week with new numbers and what I did.

Don't hang your hat on a 1% response rate. I have never been anywhere close to that - of course all I care about is actual sign-ups - those have come at a rate of about 1 per 1,000 (which is NOT 1%, it is 0.1%) - Sounds like you are track with my experience (about 4 customers per 4,000). Keep pounding away.

Lynden-Jeff
03-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Any one advertising in Michigan yet?????

Im north of you and ive started, however there is still snow on the ground. All the snow should be gone today, high of 13 degrees!

Cheers
Jeff

Precision
03-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Don't hang your hat on a 1% response rate. I have never been anywhere close to that - of course all I care about is actual sign-ups - those have come at a rate of about 1 per 1,000 (which is NOT 1%, it is 0.1%) - Sounds like you are track with my experience (about 4 customers per 4,000). Keep pounding away.
I am anticipating roughly 1 call per hundred flyers and if I am lucky 1 account per 4 calls.

60,000 flyers should get +/- 600 calls and 100-200 accts. Or at least that is my hope.

lawncuttinfoo
03-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Since I have been putting ads in the paper (1/2 page inserts) I get a .01% full year sign up rate, thats 1 out of 10,000. this year I am putting out 144,000 and hope to get 14. I'm guessing more like 10 though. keep my fingers crossed.

Pioneer01
03-13-2007, 05:54 PM
We started last weekend and did only 500. So far I have:
1-booked online
3-Emails wanting quotes for full spring services, booked all three
1-year contract

Have gotten 80% of last years contracts back signed. Quoted a large chain of gas stations today and should here back on those by the end of the week.

Lynden-Jeff
03-15-2007, 12:40 PM
So far flyers started tuesday and ive received 4 calls. Im sure some are going out today and this is early, its still -1 and possibly snow on the way so I feel im ahead of the game. This was with 7000 flyers.

Cheers
Jeff

mosmgras
03-15-2007, 09:48 PM
How are you guys distributing marketing materials? On foot, door to door? Kids on bicycles? Blanketing parking lots? ...?

In the past I've done the on foot, door to door thing - which is painfully slow. I'm looking for something a bit faster.

I have a good size ad in a local free paper. Ad's been running 2 weeks now with a few calls. Hopefully they'll start rolling in the next week or so. I still think a direct marketing approach is best - door hangers, post-it notes... that sort of thing.

AlleganyLawnCare
03-15-2007, 09:52 PM
UPDATE #1

Our 1/4 page ad from the free weekly newspaper: no hits so far.
Our 5 liner page from the daily newspaper (only 5 hours into the paper being out): Already have a new client.

Envy Lawn Service
03-16-2007, 01:34 AM
The weather has been nice here this week... but it's raining now.

The first warm weather streak is a good jolt... and a good time to begin advertising for the most bang for the buck exposure... provided it doesn't snap back off cold.

The healthy plants here are just starting to bud and bloom now. But the turf still looks dang dismal... despite the mild winter.... thanks to the increasing influx of spreading common bermuda.

But I think I'll launch my advertising this weekend anyways.

I HATE needing to advertise in an attempt to maintain my residential/commercial mix ratio. I HATE it because of the super low rates of return. The bulk of my advertising last year was a total waste of money!... and that sucks.

Precision
03-16-2007, 04:49 PM
I HATE needing to advertise in an attempt to maintain my residential/commercial mix ratio. I HATE it because of the super low rates of return. The bulk of my advertising last year was a total waste of money!... and that sucks.

I really know what you mean. My last years ad budget may as well have been spent on beer for bums for all the success it had. Advertising sucks but they certainly don't come knocking at your door, at least not in droves. :)

Precision
03-16-2007, 05:02 PM
We got some rain today and possibly some more tonight, so once the grass perks up I should start getting more calls from my flyers.

By Monday hopefully my total flyers out will be +/- 6000 and by next Friday around 9000.

I got 2 more calls today and may have landed 2-3 more accts. We will see. The great thing about these lots is they are 0.1 gross lot size and have 2200-2800 square foot houses on them. Then to have up to 4 on the same street. Well, enough said.

Lynden-Jeff
03-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Just started to snow lol. However this should be the last snow fall. Added 2 more calls today for a total of 6 and I was informed my flyers are still being delivered today. All of my flyers are being delivered by mail. I think the best part of this is it seems like they have not charged my credit card yet, whether they will or not is still a mystery! lol.

Cheers
Jeff

jbell113
03-16-2007, 05:27 PM
I pay $850.00 a year for yellow page ads and I average 4 calls a day from march 1st through june 1st. My schedule is already full for the entire year.

Josh.S
03-16-2007, 07:02 PM
I pay $850.00 a year for yellow page ads and I average 4 calls a day from march 1st through june 1st. My schedule is already full for the entire year.

That is amazing, can you upload a copy of the add so we can see your strategy? Most of the time I hear yellow pages is a waist of money for this type of service.

jbell113
03-16-2007, 08:07 PM
I will try the upload....you will laugh when you see how silly my ad looks...give me a few minutes. Oh..what format does it need to be in to upload?

Mowman16
03-16-2007, 08:08 PM
I started advertising today and got one new client :D . All the houses had at least two door hangers, business cards or something els dangling from the door. The worst part is they were all for tow to five dollars cheaper than me :eek: :eek: . Any one els wading through competition's adds to get to the door?:cry: :cry: :help: :realmad:

Lynden-Jeff
03-16-2007, 09:16 PM
I will try the upload....you will laugh when you see how silly my ad looks...give me a few minutes. Oh..what format does it need to be in to upload?

jpg or gif is good. We have the yellow pages and the competition "gold book" here. I have quite the ad in the gold book but just a regular ad in the yellow pages. My gold book ad is http://lyndenlawn.701.com

Cheers
Jeff

Precision
03-16-2007, 10:48 PM
That is amazing, can you upload a copy of the add so we can see your strategy? Most of the time I hear yellow pages is a waist of money for this type of service.

that was me last year. completely worthless. $1500 each (2)
and I got 30 calls all year from one and less from the other.

lawnprosteveo
03-16-2007, 10:54 PM
I ran one 30 day newpaper ad. Cost of $150. I got over $1,000 in cleanup biz. Picked up 7 new customers averaging $30 per cut. Not too bad for this Okie.payup

causalitist
03-18-2007, 07:55 PM
lawnprosteveo - was that an ad in the classifieds? or just printed like a regular advertisment in a section of the paper?

im really trying very hard this spring to get 20 accounts or so.

i have 7500 doorhangers , passed out 400 last week and got one customer.. its still 20-40 degrees half the time here though.. im thinking im going to pass the remaining flyers out by april 7th i sure hope i get more than .1% response!
my yellow pages ad is pretty small .. $400/year.

my city is growing fast.. 10 new subdivisions up last fall .. they are building everywhere. do you guys think im foolish to expect 20 accounts from 7500 flyers?

if so i'm getting more, im really banking on ramping things up this year.(buying my first house)

Precision
03-18-2007, 09:50 PM
lawnprosteveo - was that an ad in the classifieds? or just printed like a regular advertisment in a section of the paper?

i have 7500 doorhangers , passed out 400 last week and got one customer.. its still 20-40 degrees half the time here though.. im thinking im going to pass the remaining flyers out by april 7th i sure hope i get more than .1% response!

my city is growing fast.. 10 new subdivisions up last fall .. they are building everywhere. do you guys think im foolish to expect 20 accounts from 7500 flyers?

if so i'm getting more, im really banking on ramping things up this year.(buying my first house)

7500 flyers should get somewhere around 50-100 calls. so I would assume 15-35 jobs. some will be non-recurring requests.

flyers are just an impulse type thing. they think about it and you flyer them the same day, you will get a call. If not, few people keep them or even think about them 5 minutes after they see them. It really is a numbers game.

In my first year of my Simply Mowing company I did about 6000 flyers along with some other advertising and got 45-50 accts.
I skipped flyers last year and spent way more money on other stuff and got way lower yields.
this year focusing on flyers and have found that solo, I can do 80-100 an hour for about 6 hours. Then my knees hurt from so much walking.

Drafting my nephew and niece each Saturday or Sunday makes it more fun and I can double my output. We did about 1000 in 5 hours today. But more importantly I walk about 60% less.

causalitist
03-18-2007, 10:42 PM
great post, thanks.
i feel better lol.

i'm putting a quote on each flyer, what do you think about that? it's not cuz my price is low or anything, but i figured putting a price in their minds when they see it might get em thinking.

just like how if "best buy" had an ad for a Plasma TV with no price.. I simply look at another ad that does list the price.

besides being a pain in the ass, what do you think about that?

i just carry pre-filled out flyers for $30-$65

i suppose one major downside is going fast i might misprice a few, of which most are sure to call ... eek:dizzy:

lawnprosteveo
03-18-2007, 10:47 PM

my city is growing fast.. 10 new subdivisions up last fall .. they are building everywhere. do you guys think im foolish to expect 20 accounts from 7500 flyers? if so i'm getting more, im really banking on ramping things up this year.(buying my first house) Our local paper has a contractors section in the classifieds. Each trade..painters, lawn/landscaping, etc.. has a sub-category. I just ran the ad in that section for a month.:usflag:

Envy Lawn Service
03-18-2007, 11:40 PM
great post, thanks.
i feel better lol.

i'm putting a quote on each flyer, what do you think about that? it's not cuz my price is low or anything, but i figured putting a price in their minds when they see it might get em thinking.

just like how if "best buy" had an ad for a Plasma TV with no price.. I simply look at another ad that does list the price.

besides being a pain in the ass, what do you think about that?

i just carry pre-filled out flyers for $30-$65

i suppose one major downside is going fast i might misprice a few, of which most are sure to call ... eek:dizzy:

Well, you have a point, and that might sway your results.
Maybe in a good way... maybe in a bad way.
Just depends on what your pricing is like.

If your prices are low, it will generate a LOT of calls for low priced work.
If your prices are on the higher end, it will hurt call numbers I think.

Also, should you have an OK price that is lower than their current provider, your flyer will probably just get used as a bargaining chip.

causalitist
03-19-2007, 03:27 AM
lawnprosteveo- ah .. we are mid-sized (100,000 population) , all we have is a "services offered" section and a "home services offered" section. crappy.
i placed an ad today anyway .. it'll run march 29 - april 12 .. hopefully just as the grass starts growing.

im not expecting crap from it though ... anyone want to weigh in on the effectiveness of a decent size regular classified ad?

envy- a chip! dang ... thats the last thing i want lol .. just kidding, good thoughts, didnt think of it like that, your right though.

i bet i would be much better off offering one free mow on the flyer .. that would increase sales like the price would, but without the hassles/complexities you described.

i would just let them redeem the mow in the first week of october if they are still with me.. but wouldnt put that on the flyer. i think i'll do that next time.

im betting other guys have tried "one free mow".. so how did it work "other guys" ?
hahaha

LawnsRUsInc.
03-19-2007, 10:06 AM
I used to do flyers with my employees for a cpl hours the 10-12 of us could get out 1000-1500 in an hr i just didnt see it worth the time to distribute them. I just put my mobile bill board on the highway, $1150 on my yellow pages ad a month. Our website we get 20-30 calls a month from that. and just being out there people see your trucks and call. If doing flyers or direct mail its all timing and design. I hired a full time sales man last spring and him just talking about our co. he landed us a $135,000 install job so i guess having him on payroll is a great advertising.

For the people that have low budgets for advertising i would just have a add in the services section of the newspaper. and do cold calling to commercial places.

shade tree landscaping
03-19-2007, 10:29 AM
we passed out about 2000 fliers (doorhangers) and got about 10 new lawn acounts out of them. We had a few estimates for spring cleanups, but I guess that we came in to high on the bids, we couldnt seem to close the deals.

tinman
03-19-2007, 08:17 PM
no YP ads this year. In 3 years they only generated 1 or 2 good customers,.
Going more for local classifieds, some letters with a very targeted mailing list, postcards, referral program, small lawn signs.

Precision
03-19-2007, 08:19 PM
I would like to hear more about people's experience / success with small classified ads, the kind of paper and the quality of the clients/callers.

I will also be doing small lawn / intersection signs once the grass really starts growing. I had good luck with those before.

tinman
03-19-2007, 08:33 PM
when I 1st started part time, classifieds filled my schedule , which wasn't much . but it was enough for me at the time. Precision ,,,, my local paper is for 3 counties,,, only costs $7 week for online submission. My ad is $13 per week with double space and centering. I am ordering some small signs for LC, as they did well for my Pressure wash service.

I think would have been better off staying with classifieds as opposed to doing any YP. Classifieds can be stopped, YP bills come in month after month whether they make my phone vibrate or not.

Envy Lawn Service
03-19-2007, 08:39 PM
when I 1st started part time, classifieds filled my schedule , which wasn't much . but it was enough for me at the time. Precision ,,,, my local paper is for 3 counties,,, only costs $7 week for online submission. My ad is $13 per week with double space and centering. I am ordering some small signs for LC, as they did well for my Pressure wash service.

I think would have been better off staying with classifieds as opposed to doing any YP. Classifieds can be stopped, YP bills come in month after month whether they make my phone vibrate or not.

$13 a week for a tri-county paper. WOW!
You're lucky.

Precision
03-19-2007, 09:38 PM

My only experience with that was in the penny pincher type "paper" and I got the cheapo's in droves.

I also don't want a broadcast ad. Just more of a localized thing. Too much driving otherwise.

But you are definately right about the YP ads. Complete waste of money last year. They barely created as much revenue as they cost.

tinman
03-19-2007, 11:33 PM
$13 a week for a tri-county paper. WOW!
You're lucky.

yeah I know. The bigger papers have the "Contractor" Sections. They are aboyt $100 per month. No luck with those at all.

tinman
03-19-2007, 11:41 PM
My only experience with that was in the penny pincher type "paper" and I got the cheapo's in droves.

I also don't want a broadcast ad. Just more of a localized thing. Too much driving otherwise.

But you are definitely right about the YP ads. Complete waste of money last year. They barely created as much revenue as they cost.

More targeted leads is important I think. I just bought a small specific list & we'll see how it does.
After reading this whole thread, it is depressing looking at the response rates. That is why I like the idea of sign placement. Pay once for the sign, & it is looked at by a hundreds per day.

LawnsRUsInc.
03-20-2007, 12:03 AM
I spend 15k a year on YP have a great return on it. It takes me 2 people selling jobs to keep up with it and my sales guys want to sell high to make more money and my secretary that takes the calls weeds out customers that are price shopping or that are out of our service area. For how much i hate paying the YP they have made my co. from 26,000 in 2002 to $486,000 in 2006 and i pay for equipment as the money comes in. I asked many on here what was the best advertising yp etc..... and i heard mixed feelings on the YP but its the only thing that works for me. If you dont have big enough of an add you wont get calls and i do find that the people that have no clue on who to call, call the larger co. for their larger jobs. I just scored my first install job for over 100,000 this year from the YP

Envy Lawn Service
03-20-2007, 12:32 AM
More targeted leads is important I think. I just bought a small specific list & we'll see how it does.
After reading this whole thread, it is depressing looking at the response rates. That is why I like the idea of sign placement. Pay once for the sign, & it is looked at by a hundreds per day.

The law of large numbers can get expensive and return dismal results at times in marketing.

Target Marketing is EXTREMELY important if you hope for a high return on investment.
I learned HOW to do it WELL during the few years I spent in my other business.

But the lawn and landscape business... it's just a different animal.
It's a business that is sooooo DEPENDANT in nature when it comes to marketing.

It's HIGHLY dependent on:

Where you are.

Who you are.

Who you know.

Who your customers know.

What your realistic target marketing options are.

Myself, I love to be able to really tightly DEFINE what my target market is.
Then I love to be able to figure out how to most effectively DIRECT market them.

But here it is not that cut and dried.

For instance, I can't use the resources I still have available to me to pick out and heavily target specific neighborhoods, etc. Here, we just do not have the massive executive, yuppy, golf course, retirement, etc type developments that other areas have that contain an extremely high ratio of people who hire everything done.

It's just not commonplace.

For me, my biggest marketing tool I have in my toolbox is being out working on my sites.... BY FAR. I bring in more new work by being out working than anything else.

There was a time some years back that I had to strip everything and run "blank" in order to keep the phone from ringing off the hook. At the time I would have rather they not called than for me to have to turn them away.

But as the economy has slumped in our area, and more illegit operations have hit the roads... over time I have sorta 'shoe-horned' myself.

What I mean is, I have tried to hedge against that influx, and I have always been one to "go where the money is" and in the process of all that has happened.... my 'daily exposure' to the market has disappeared.

When you mostly work at mountain-top estates, lake-side homes, seasonal homes, mountain cottages, private neighborhoods, and 'out of the way' residential and commercial or industrial sites, etc.....

Well it really HURTS your exposure.

It's not like it was for me when I did a lot more work in HIGH TRAFFIC AREAS. Like when I had several banks, high end hotels, executive buildings & business parks, doctors offices, dentist offices, car dealerships, etc...

Places who had the money to spend to look good and had high traffic in the type of homeowners who hire everything done, etc...

And just general high traffic areas on commercial sites along the main drags, and middle class homes along high traffic roads.

Signs on the rigs, signs on the sites, a uniform look and uniformed clothing was all I ever needed then. My work and those items brought me more work than I could stand for a long time.

But now everything is different.
Having those such sites are like having a BIG TARGET on your back now.
I lost some every year to lowballing, and it got to the point where the average longgevity was 1 season.

Now it's too the point I have no chance of landing any of these sites anymore and even if I did, they are so lowballed now that nobody can turn a profit on them.

Sad.

That in a nutshell is why I have to advertise some to try to offset the normal year-to-year churn.... and blanket advertising SUCKS for me.

Lynden-Jeff
03-20-2007, 07:14 AM
Doing my first 7 quotes and its still march 20th! actually it snowed yesterday lol!

Cheers
Jeff

Pave_A_Lot
03-20-2007, 07:17 AM
A very wise man said this in a post Over at NPCA - any advertising must generate double it's cost in PROFITS before it starts being "worth it".

lawnprosteveo
03-20-2007, 09:26 AM
I would like to hear more about people's experience / success with small classified ads, the kind of paper and the quality of the clients/callers.

I will also be doing small lawn / intersection signs once the grass really starts growing. I had good luck with those before.Although I feel I did well running this ad as far as money out/money in....I did get alot of calls that were not quality...I dont have exact numbers, but I would say around 1 in 10 calls were decent business prospects.

Precision
03-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Although I feel I did well running this ad as far as money out/money in....I did get alot of calls that were not quality...I dont have exact numbers, but I would say around 1 in 10 calls were decent business prospects.

ARGH, cross that off the list. I really can't deal with that ratio of boneheads. :)

ooo
03-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Gotten 1 job from Craigslist so far. Pennysaver, nothing.

ooo
03-22-2007, 05:55 AM

So very true

Soupy
03-22-2007, 07:30 AM
I put out some yard signs at a few high rate intersections landed 3 mowing customers in the first day. landed some clean up work. and received a bunch of overseeding/aeration calls which I declined most of them and told them to call back in August. I did except a couple and explained the downfall but they insisted.

My signs only lasted a week and disappeared. I might try and put some more out tomorrow. It's a lot easier then door-hangers.

Precision
03-22-2007, 08:18 AM
I put out some yard signs at a few high rate intersections landed 3 mowing customers in the first day. landed some clean up work. and received a bunch of overseeding/aeration calls which I declined most of them and told them to call back in August. I did except a couple and explained the downfall but they insisted.

My signs only lasted a week and disappeared. I might try and put some more out tomorrow. It's a lot easier then door-hangers.

yes, I have had good luck with signs like that. They don't last terribly long, but at $2-3 per sign, they don't need to.

I try to time my putting them in, to the day after the county or LCO that maintains the intersection has cut. Then it is just scumbag LCO's that steal them to reduce competition that remove them.

ooo
03-28-2007, 09:32 PM
Penny Saver - Out 3 weeks (comes once a week) - spent $160 - 9 calls - 1 $35 lawn - 2 jobs about $700 worth

USPS Direct Mail (self mailer) - 1600 sent(2 days ago) - spent $500 - 21 calls - 4 new lawns($30 or $35 each) - 2 jobs $2500 total (many pending)

Direct mail is on streets i wish to target, Pennysaver brings in everything from old ladies wanting a dethatching and cleaning for no more than $40, to a lady wanting a fence, but wanting seperate estimates to do it in different types and fencing and different areas fenced in. Crazy woman wanted to see estimates for 5 kinds of fencing and had 4 different ideas how she might want the fences run. Told her I barely have time for 1 estimate...let alone 20. I get all sorts of cheapo's from the Pennysaver.

Fantasy Lawns
03-28-2007, 09:47 PM
I know this may not follow the thread ... but one can ADVO all they can afford ....but what we really need is some RAIN ..... if it ain't growing ...hard to get em to pick up the phone

Hey John here's something I did last year .... got one of them electric scooters .... helps door hand alot

Duekster
03-28-2007, 10:03 PM
I am slammed and over booked

Leisure Time Lawn Care
03-28-2007, 10:05 PM
wish I was

Precision
03-29-2007, 02:35 PM
I know this may not follow the thread ... but one can ADVO all they can afford ....but what we really need is some RAIN ..... if it ain't growing ...hard to get em to pick up the phone

Hey John here's something I did last year .... got one of them electric scooters .... helps door hand alot

Not a bad idea.

I am using slave labor. I mean my nephew and niece, sort of like having an electric scooter.

No Kidding on the rain. Even my irrigated properties are starting to look stressed.

I have slowed down my rate of distribution on my flyers. NO sense in putting them out when we are 3 inches behind on rain and NO rain forecast for the next 10 days. I put a few hundred out a week, but until we see a break in the weather...

On the upside, my fert guy has agreed to go in with me on my next round of flyers, so that will help.

tinman
03-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Not a bad idea.

I am using slave labor. I mean my nephew and niece, sort of like having an electric scooter.

No Kidding on the rain. Even my irrigated properties are starting to look stressed.

I have slowed down my rate of distribution on my flyers. NO sense in putting them out when we are 3 inches behind on rain and NO rain forecast for the next 10 days. I put a few hundred out a week, but until we see a break in the weather...

On the upside, my fert guy has agreed to go in with me on my next round of flyers, so that will help.Dry here too Precision. Hope to get dome rain
this weekend tho. My classified ad is doing good still. I have about had it with direct mail now:)

N.H.BOY
03-29-2007, 08:00 PM
I've got an ad in the "PLACEMAT" of local dinners and rest. around here. Im in 6or7 rest. and it is there for 4 months. We will see what the calls will be. I thought this was a good idea.

Lynden-Jeff
03-29-2007, 08:30 PM
wish I was

Oh brother me to. I think we are a little early though, that guy is in texas after all lol.

Cheers
Jeff

Soupy
03-29-2007, 08:54 PM
We are double and triple cutting :dizzy:

tjsquickcuts
03-29-2007, 10:53 PM
I am slammed and over booked

Man....I feel your pain.....I have had such a great return from our marketing strategy.....I simply got yard signs for all of my high end properties, and went door to door from 12 to 6 everyday for a few weeks. Unbelievable the response I got. I was able to sign-up on avg. about 3 people a day and I did door to door :walking: for about 20 days, or basically all of Feb.....I hit all the gated neighborhoods, even had to jump a few gates, drive through the contractors entrance, or pay the guard up front a few buck to get in.......I have signed up almost a entire gated community plus the hoa, and most of the homes are around $800k and up.....I was dedicated and consistent this year, and it paid off, and only cost me maybe $300 bucks total, and thats including gas. I dropped 33 accounts from last year, and just from door to door, I pick-up up almost 60 Quality hand picked accounts. I am now getting a huge response from my yard signs, and now it has started to get overwhelming.....I just posted a thread giving away free leads because I am being very selective because My demand is shooting through the roof. I swear I get about 10 calls a day from people either seeing my lawn signs, referrals, or from old flyers. I have taken all lettering off my trucks, and put my trailer signs in my garage. This is the first night in about 2 months I have a chance to get on the site, because have been so busy getting new customer packets and Estimate packets together....I am thinking about buying a third truck in April, got approved for another truck loan today because I need to ride this wave until it ends and soak up as much as possible.....Just hope I am not getting in to far over my head......Hope everyone else will have as great of a response as I have had....Good luck...

thefed
03-30-2007, 07:32 AM
Our results are pretty amazing to me. brand new company.

we started advertising 19 days ago. As of today, we've put out 6500 hangers. We're in 7 local papers, for a 3 month advertising total of 650 bucks.

Im at a minimum getting 5 calls/day....sometimes 10. We've given 42 estimates, and closed 26. 15 are weekly customers...9 of which want other work done. Keep in mind we've done 19 est. in the last 5 days so a lot of people should still be calling back

crazy

Precision
03-30-2007, 02:24 PM
I've got an ad in the "PLACEMAT" of local dinners and rest. around here. Im in 6or7 rest. and it is there for 4 months. We will see what the calls will be. I thought this was a good idea.

tried that. ZERO calls.

N.H.BOY
03-30-2007, 06:02 PM
tried that. ZERO calls.

OH GREAT!!!!!:dizzy:

Loy's Home Services, LLC
03-30-2007, 06:27 PM
yellow pages.

Precision
03-31-2007, 11:01 AM
OH GREAT!!!!!:dizzy:

you may have better luck. who knows. for me it was a $200 lesson.

Much better than the yellow pages lesson I learned.

Precision
04-23-2007, 08:41 AM
I am up to about 8500 flyers out. took a break to do some landscape installs and didn't see much point with no rain even forecast. Of course it did rain. but from 8500 or so flyers, I have gotten 30ish calls and 7 new accounts. Not exactly stellar numbers.

Sure hope it's the little rain we have had and the unseasonably cold weather, causing the problem and not a tragic flaw in by business model.

I guess we will have to see what May brings.

bullethead
04-23-2007, 09:09 AM
. ...but from 8500 or so flyers, I have gotten 30ish calls and 7 new accounts. Not exactly stellar numbers.....

A little less than 1 per 1000....totally consistent with my experience and that of others who put out a bunch of these things. Keep plugging away.

tinman
04-23-2007, 03:07 PM
I am up to about 8500 flyers out. took a break to do some landscape installs and didn't see much point with no rain even forecast. Of course it did rain. but from 8500 or so flyers, I have gotten 30ish calls and 7 new accounts. Not exactly stellar numbers.

Sure hope it's the little rain we have had and the unseasonably cold weather, causing the problem and not a tragic flaw in by business model.

I guess we will have to see what May brings.

I think the dry weather & the cold spell hurt most. The 1st 3 years I went full time it was the wettest I remember . Got new customers easily & really stopped trying except for word of mouth. I pushed my pressure cleaning biz a lot more. Last year was dry & I stayed around the same number of accounts... This year i have picked up a few but lost a couple also. When it rains people love to see me coming, But when it is dry they look at me like I am trespassing *trucewhiteflag* ... Hopefully we'll get some good rain soon.
Oh & I now remember why I stopped using classifieds..... price shoppers & worse. But they do work , I just have to weed out more folks. My lawn signs have done ok , but I have yet to put the big one out.

causalitist
04-27-2007, 02:54 AM
A little less than 1 per 1000....totally consistent with my experience and that of others who put out a bunch of these things. Keep plugging away.

i put out 2500 - 45 calls .. 15 new accounts.. plus a few 1 time jobs.. not trying hard to get those since i want to focus on weekly income.

i'm liking the sign in the yard idea.

do you guys offer any compensation to the customer to let you put a sign in? if so, what?

Erdye
04-27-2007, 07:41 AM
Sent out 3100 post cards begining of March recieved, 12 new accounts for yearly pest control. A little better than the average I would say!

Josh.S
04-27-2007, 10:20 AM
that was me last year. completely worthless. $1500 each (2)
and I got 30 calls all year from one and less from the other.

What did you do differently to change the response rate so drastically?

topsites
04-27-2007, 12:00 PM
I got my usual March 20th - May 31st box 2 x 1 in the newspaper, that's been getting me anywhere from 3-4 calls / week to 10-20 / week but most of mine's been regulars and word of mouth...

As for the fresh calls, I got maybe 6 or 7 new customers so far on top of last year's renewals, the usual ratio of 1 out of 10 applies here... All in all not too bad considering I'm cherry picking and dealing out pricey quotes :)

Unfortunately, it appears my local web site listing in the big Yahoo directory isn't doing much, but that's only $300 / year and it's early still... Might be more of a branding type of ad in the end, like a billboard it may turn out to be just one of those places people look and move on, but subliminally they saw me :laugh:
It sure looks purdy thou :)
http://dir.yahoo.com/Regional/U_S__States/Virginia/Counties_and_Regions/Chesterfield_County/Business_and_Shopping/Shopping_and_Services/Home_and_Garden/

Dunlaps LawnCare
12-11-2007, 01:59 PM
add in are newspaper we did the best on

Team-Green L&L
12-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Our marketing season is only half over around here. We usually get new clients in August-November for commercial and then again in Feb-May for residential. Last year we did

15,000 door hangers,
50,000 direct mailings with RSVP Publications http://www.rsvppublications.com (http://www.rsvppublications.com/aboutus.asp?marketid=)
5000 8 x 5 postcards with targeted direct mail
1 PR community event sponsorship
and 3 months of radio time on 2 Clear Channel stations.

When it was all said and done, I am kicking myself in the head! Most of this stuff DOES NOT SELL SERVICES, it simply reminds people you are still there.

Our best single effort was Google results, followed closely behind by door-to-door knocking and "pitching". Now, I'm not talking about going to each door in the community like flyering, but more targeted door-to-door solicitation.