PDA

View Full Version : Lie to get buisness

HBLandscaping
03-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Ok, Today I saw someone pull up in front of my mailbox and put in a letter, It was a flyer from another landscaping company (One I've never heard of or seen). Later today 3 of my neighbors (2 which are customers of mine) asked if I recieved a letter from this company. Here's where it gets funny or really sad depending on how you look at it. The flyers said

"We have been working with your neighbors over the last year and many more of them have contacted us and signed on for our lawn mowing service this year. If you would like the same quality service as your neighbors have been enjoying for years, Please call us today and see what we can do for you"

Now this is a joke, I know everyone on my street (only 8 houses) and Im the only company working this street. Does anyone see the problem with this type of advertising????? How can anyone stoop that low, If they lie to get the job whatelse would they lie about? As someone who really prides themself on running a respectful, friendly and professional buisness it really piss me off to see this type of flyer. To make things worse tonight I talked to a friend who also works close to the same areas as I do and he said he recieved the same letter in his mailbox lastweek and got some calls from his clients saying they got them to. All I can say is what great customers we have, they call us anytime they recieve something from another company.

KrayzKajun
03-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Your lucky to have such great customers. Some companie set a bad example for the rest of us in business.

HOOLIE
03-12-2007, 11:58 PM
Calm down, it's just a sales tactic...a little marketing ploy...now if they said the cut "so-n-so at 1234 Main St." and they DON'T, well that would be different. The term 'neighbor' can be interpreted in different ways.

It's just like all the phone calls I get from window/roofing/remodeling companies, they always say "we are working in YOUR neighborhood and can stop by to give a quote" Now I doubt most of the time they are actually working all that close to me...

richallseasons
03-13-2007, 12:51 AM
also that type of advertising can be like shooting yourself in the foot, what if your hieghbor had a really horrible service and you had to look the other way every time you drove by that house.......would you sign on?

HBLandscaping
03-13-2007, 12:57 AM
Its ok for a company like mine and a few others in my town to say "We have" or "We are Working" but for a new never heard of company to come straight out and say that they have been working this "Neighborhood" for year(s). I have been in buisness 6 years and the other 2 companies in my town have been around for 15-20 years. I mail out letters to houses within the same block as my current clients, But Im not lying when I say that Im working "with there neighbors". But for a new company to come out like that is BS, Thats not the right way to start advertising your company when your new. If my neighbors can come to me within hours of recieving this flyer and ask who these people are or saying we've never heard of these people, then thats the response most people who recieve this flyer will say. My town's population is 3,000, 95% of the people here have been here for anywhere from 25 to 60/70 years. Everyone here knows everyone (like in most small towns) Word travals fast around here and if this company wants to stay in buisness then this is really not a good idea to comeout advertising like this. It want take long for people around here to see right through this. I didnt mean to come out like an ass. Im wondering how many people out there do this? Wondering if anyone see's something wrong with this type of advertisment?

Runner
03-13-2007, 12:58 AM
Yeah,...that's just a generic sales cliche. It is usually worded "We do work in your neighborhood, and would love to service your lawn." - or something of that sort.

HOOLIE
03-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Well the wording on the flyer might seem odd to someone in a small town that sort of knows everything that's going on, I could understand that.

Advertising is all about creating the right perception and luring in customers...it's not meant to be taken literally...which is how you took this flyer...sort of like Mickey Dee's says "I'm Lovin' It" but really quite often I'm just likin' it or it's just so-so...

stumpslawncare
03-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't against the law to put flyers in mailbox's if you haven't mailed them?

toac
03-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't against the law to put flyers in mailbox's if you haven't mailed them?

i was about to say the same thing. if this person is really making you mad, but call the post office (and see if you can get your neighbors to do the same thing). i believe the fine is $300 per mailbox?

HBLandscaping
03-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Im not mad about them advertising, Im sure Ive layed down a few on someone elses clients, But its the fact that a new company (just started this year) comes out with their first flyer saying we've been here before. Im not mad just wondering how professional that type of letter is. Im not new to the landscaping game, I've worked for 2 companies in the past and now own one and this is the first time Ive ever seen something like that. I was just wondering if anyone else on here (Lawnsite) has ever used this type of advertising, Maybe Im the one missing out one something I dont know. Maybe this is the way to advertise, Dont know was just asking to see what everyone else thought.

Sorry if I sounded like an ASS, didnt mean to. I know how hard it is to get into this game and the hard work it takes so anyone who's trying to make it has my support, but this style of ad just didnt sound professional to me. I have since found out who "owns" this company and he's 17 yrs old so he doesnt know better being new to this game. I've known him along time (Remembered when he was born go way back with his parents), I have offered to help him in anyway I can without hurting my company. I know this kid and if he does things right he will be someone big.

RedMax Man
03-13-2007, 08:51 PM
i was about to say the same thing. if this person is really making you mad, but call the post office (and see if you can get your neighbors to do the same thing). i believe the fine is $300 per mailbox?

Yikes, if thats the case and you plus all your loyal customers report him then he'll be put out of business in a heart beat and that should teach him a lesson or two about the RIGHT way to operate.

See your most likely honest and so your clients have confidents in you and you can still be successful and market with honesty.

Some people just make me shake my head at thier ignorence.

PbInvestor
03-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Yikes, if thats the case and you plus all your loyal customers report him then he'll be put out of business in a heart beat and that should teach him a lesson or two about the RIGHT way to operate.

See your most likely honest and so your clients have confidents in you and you can still be successful and market with honesty.

Some people just make me shake my head at thier ignorence.

I cannot believe some of the crappy advice given on this board. Why would you report him for a method of advertising? Advertising is advertising. If you get a certain number of calls per dollar spent...then it's all good. I use flyers, signs and lots of other methods. If you guys really think that this is a bad idea and yours is better, than it should not bother you. Stick with the better idea and make some money. You guys worry over semantics so much it makes my head hurt. So what if he said "your neighbors", it all depends on what you consider a neighbor. The next state could be your neighbors. As far as him being only 17. Do you think he has ever cut someones yard in the last 3-4 years in the same state or at least the next state? and....learn to spell.

toac
03-16-2007, 12:40 PM
I cannot believe some of the crappy advice given on this board. Why would you report him for a method of advertising? Advertising is advertising. If you get a certain number of calls per dollar spent...then it's all good. I use flyers, signs and lots of other methods. If you guys really think that this is a bad idea and yours is better, than it should not bother you. Stick with the better idea and make some money. You guys worry over semantics so much it makes my head hurt. So what if he said "your neighbors", it all depends on what you consider a neighbor. The next state could be your neighbors. As far as him being only 17. Do you think he has ever cut someones yard in the last 3-4 years in the same state or at least the next state? and....learn to spell.

read the whole thread. his method of advertising is illegal. you are not allowed to put flyers in or on the mail box.

mrusk
03-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Neighborhood does not mean same street. I use that same line! Working in a 1 miles radius is considered the same neighborhood if you live in the country!

PbInvestor
03-16-2007, 10:16 PM
read the whole thread. his method of advertising is illegal. you are not allowed to put flyers in or on the mail box.

Well that puts about 1/3 of this board out of business.

TurfProSTL
03-18-2007, 12:22 AM
Well that puts about 1/3 of this board out of business.Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.....

lawnguyland
03-18-2007, 08:50 AM

Will everyone please just get over the stupid mailboxes and flyers already.

supercuts
03-18-2007, 09:17 AM
i have to agree with PB guy. how many of you on here pay taxes on ALL your income??? how many of you have NEVER put slip/bill/notice/letter in somesone mailbox wether they expect it or not?? who cares!! i dont do any of those things, i mail bills, report income, and dont put flyers in mailboxs. some do, live and let be. if you want to turn somebody in, report the guy stealing equiptment or smashing your mailbox. not some kid who is trying to make some extra money.

there were two articles in the paper here over the last year, one was of a 12 year old who put up a sign infront of his house that said lawn mowing. his town went crazy and made him take the sign down. after all the media attention the town board voted to allow him to put it up, most likely knowing that he is not paying taxes, too young by law to work, etc. there is the law and the interpretion and the descression of law enforcement. if you called the police to report this they would laugh at you and probably ask if you were serious. another article was about some you kids selling ice tea on the side of the road and got shut down. i dont remember why but i think a neighbor was pissed off because of cars stopping in front of her house and traffic.

some people really need to be smacked in the head! get over it, if your running a legit business and doing quality work, what do you have to worry about. my interpretation of neighbors in this sence is community or town. have you ever been to church and heard them say neighbors??? do you really think they mean the people directly next door to you or on your street?? they mean your community!

All_Clear
03-18-2007, 12:40 PM
What it boils down to is how someone defines "neighbor"

Next door neighbor
Neighbor down the road
Neighbor around the corner
Neighbor across town....

It's just advertising, I'd wager to say the entire town got the same flyer. I personally wouldn't sweat it. If you do good business, charge fair prices and provide quality then you have nothing to worry about.

Duekster
03-18-2007, 12:47 PM
I use dear neighbor on my intro-letters all the time. If they are in my service area then they are neighbors.

I do however buy the actual stamp.

toac
03-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Well that puts about 1/3 of this board out of business.

LOL...nice :laugh:

Precision
03-19-2007, 10:47 PM

No, it is a set $ fine plus all due postage based on the Post Master's assumption of how many fliers you put out.

And you don't call the regular cops. You call the post office. Just be aware that you will have to identify yourself and if the advertiser asks, they will be told your name. Happened to my mother. (she was the narc)

toac
03-20-2007, 09:23 AM
$300 was just a guestimate. thanks for the info though. i've heard some stories of the post office wanting thousands of dollars but settle for a couple hundred bucks.

Howard Roark
03-20-2007, 11:42 PM
Man,

Are you from that small of a town or what?

If you guys continue to run your "business" like you've got some safe-zone claimed territory, you'll always be let down by the next guy who wants to be in your business.

Good for the guy, he thought about and did what you didn't.

The question is, what will YOU do next?

Oh by the way, the next guy to come ruin your day with a flyer or advertising will be on your street next week. :cry:

Metro Lawn
03-21-2007, 01:10 AM
Call them up and ask for some references from your "neighbors"...lol

DaughtryLC
03-21-2007, 01:28 AM
I have a friend that gets his lawn mowed by a person I know in the bis.(His house is out of town, to far for me) anyway he gets a letter in his door saying the landscaper he is using is going out of business and they are picking up the accounts and to call for a time! Luckily the landscaper and the home owner are now friends so he knew this was untrue! What a hell of a marketing tactic

RedWingsDet
03-22-2007, 12:33 AM
Call them up and ask for some references from your "neighbors"...lol

Nice one. LOL.

daveintoledo
03-22-2007, 04:06 PM
No, it is a set $ fine plus all due postage based on the Post Master's assumption of how many fliers you put out.

And you don't call the regular cops. You call the post office. Just be aware that you will have to identify yourself and if the advertiser asks, they will be told your name. Happened to my mother. (she was the narc)

FROM THE US POSTAL SERVICE
"USPS' Postal Bulletin (Issue 21861, 2-17-94, p. 37):"

"Mailable Matter in or on Private Mail Receptacles Mailable matter not
bearing postage found in or on private mail receptacles represents a
revenue deficiency to the Postal Service and is a violation of federal
law. Title 18 United States Code, section 1725, provides for a fine of
not more than $300 per piece for these violations. All employees must
uniformly enforce the procedures detailed in the Domestic Mail Manual,
section P011.2.0. The failure to enforce these procedures uniformly
may jeopardize the criminal prosecution of repeated violators."

that IS per piece......

and yes id sure as hell turn him in, and my customers would call too.....

MowJob
03-25-2007, 12:33 AM
I can't see a customer calling me and saying

"Hi Craig, I am calling to let you know I got a flier from another mowing company today at my house."

What is the purpose of that, I really doubt I ever see this happen.

RedWingsDet
03-25-2007, 02:08 AM
I can't see a customer calling me and saying

"Hi Craig, I am calling to let you know I got a flier from another mowing company today at my house."

What is the purpose of that, I really doubt I ever see this happen.

Mine just save the flyers for me. LOL

Big M LawnnSnow
03-25-2007, 05:38 AM
Call him up and have him come over to do an estimate then ask him to show you some of the work he has done in the neighborhood.