PDA

View Full Version : HADCO Problem!

Beartooth
03-13-2007, 12:56 AM
I am experiencing a problem with some Hadco Pathlights that we installed just over a year ago. The fixtures are a Hadco Model MUL4. They take a 20watt bi-pin lamp. I have had repeated calls from the homeowner that certain fixtures are not operating. What I have found is the lamps seem to be almost out of the sockets, or they are not making very good connection with the fixtures' sockets. If I simply tap on the top of the lamps, they come on and function properly. Is this a Hadco malfunction? Could the lamps be coming loose due to vibration, etc.? I am baffled by this one!

Pro-Scapes
03-13-2007, 08:55 AM
vibration ? whats vibrating ? any signs of the kids hitting them with a ball or something ? Dogs beating them with thier tails ? Something to knock the bulb loose ?

Sounds like the spring contacts in the socket are too deep in the sockets themselves and barley making contact.and sort of pushing them up. Have you tried a SMALL dab of hi temp dielectric grease ? I mean the smallest bit of it. Also are you using QUALITY bi pins with the right base pin size ? They should fit snug but not so you have to force them in

High Performance Lighting
03-13-2007, 09:35 AM
Hadco had a major problem awhile back with Leviton sockets. The wires would pull out of the back of them. Your problem may be the lamps. What brand are they? I think bi-pin T-3's are some of the worst lamps available for outdoor lighting. They are too fragile even inrush current blows them to smitherines. You tap them and the filament fuses temporarily.
You're better off with xelogen.

Beartooth
03-13-2007, 11:25 AM
I am using T-3's from my distributor. I am willing to use whatever lamp will fix the problem. There is no brand markings on the lamp box that I have. I will check with my distributor to check the brand. If the problem is with the springs in the sockets, is there an adjustment I can make to fix the problem or should I just replace the sockets?

NiteTymeIlluminations
03-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Hadco is aware of a t3 bulb problem. I agree with Mike about the t3 being a bad bulb and I have been talking with Lew Waltz and a few other about alternatives. They, for a while were shipping Satco bulbs and now have moved onto something else...which is also pathetic. As these bulb blow after 300-400 hours they are being replace a few too many times and the sockets loosens...also sometimes contractors grab a bi-pin but the wrong bi-pin and put it in there...this loosens the socket...I would suggest replacing the fixtures and/or sockets. Why havent you checked with your distributor, he should know this info? He should be getting you new fixtures and getting an RMA on those defective ones.

NightScenes
03-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Make sure that you are using a quality lamp. I use Ushio for all of my projects and I have very few lamp issues.

Beartooth
03-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Thank you for all of the replies! So do the majority of you feel this is a fixture issue or a lamp issue? My supplier keeps telling me they will get back to me, and so far I have had no success with them. I want to provide good service for my customer and I appreciate all of your input.

03-14-2007, 01:05 AM
I designed all of my fixtures around the MR-16 lamp including my copper spreadlight (see below- a bit crooked in the photo)for the simple reason that the T-3 is so bad. I have had enormous success with the Sylvania Tru aim Titan. In my estimation it's the best all around MR-16 dollar for dollar in the world. A close second to the GE constant color which is priced too high. I install around 10,000 lamps per yr. between new installs and maintenance with very little occurance of pre-mature lamp failure.

Eden Lights
03-14-2007, 05:59 PM
My vote is on the lamps, you have been knocking the energized filament together to complete the circuit, which goes back to open during cooldown. You are getting off to a bad start with your clients as far as perceived quality if ever use the manufacturer supplied lamp. I second the Syl. Titans or GE Constant Color if you’re using halogen lamps.

NiteTymeIlluminations
03-14-2007, 09:10 PM
If I were you I'd get on the phone with the supplier and tell them to put me on hold while he calls Lew Waltz cell phone or at least someone at Hadco and gets a remedy...you are putting your business at danger by being patient!!!!

Beartooth
03-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Trust me, my patience has basically ran out! I have decided to take matters into my own hands and not rely solely on my supplier. Can I get the Syl. lamps online?

03-14-2007, 11:15 PM
Trust me, my patience has basically ran out! I have decided to take matters into my own hands and not rely solely on my supplier. Can I get the Syl. lamps online?

You may want to try this. If your Hadco socket will fit MR-16 pins there are 6.35 bi pin lamps available which are the MR-16 capsule without the reflector. Osram sylvania makes them and I'm sure other manufacturers do too.

NiteTymeIlluminations
03-16-2007, 09:56 AM
if it in a path it wont fit a 6.35...its the smaller bi pin socket...using an mr16base will probably break the socket

irrig8r
03-28-2007, 10:26 PM
I designed all of my fixtures around the MR-16 lamp including my copper spreadlight (see below- a bit crooked in the photo)for the simple reason that the T-3 is so bad. I have had enormous success with the Sylvania Tru aim Titan. In my estimation it's the best all around MR-16 dollar for dollar in the world. A close second to the GE constant color which is priced too high. I install around 10,000 lamps per yr. between new installs and maintenance with very little occurance of pre-mature lamp failure.

Wait a minute there Mike, I was doing the math... how many days you working per year anyway? Are you not a one-man operation anymore?

If I worked 300 days per year I still couldn't install more than 25 fixtures per day.. and still do a good job of it... and that would be 7,500 lamps.

Even if you personally installed 140 fixtures per week you'd still have to relamp another 50+ per week to come out to 10,000 in a year.

????? :confused:

Pro-Scapes
03-28-2007, 11:28 PM
he services all his systems still who said he was installing 10k fixtures per year? What about relamping his systems... some systems 100 plus lamps right there.

extlights
03-29-2007, 07:27 PM
We use Hadco in some instances and probably installed somewhere between 200-300 of their path fixtures last year. We too had the same problem with probably about 40-50 of those fixtures. We replaced the bulbs with GE's and haven't had a problem since. Not saying that this is what will fix your problem, but the bulbs were the problem for us.

Don't wait on suppliers, go change the bulbs and see what happens. If they burn out again then at least it didn't cost you much and then get in contact with your Hadco rep. If you do something about it now, customers will be more understanding and see that you are trying to rectify the problem. If you wait on suppliers and do nothing until they get back to you, customers will get negative thoughts and that puts your reputation is at risk.

irrig8r
03-30-2007, 01:25 AM
he services all his systems still who said he was installing 10k fixtures per year? What about relamping his systems... some systems 100 plus lamps right there.

I tried to figure that into the equation assuming at least 2,200 lamps for relamping per year... but I guess one could change out a lot more...anyway, the total just seemed like a typo or slight exaggeration measuring against what I think I could do, but then, of course... I'm not Mike.