PDA

View Full Version : payscale

sprinklertech
03-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Hi everyone. I'm new to this site. I have a question. I am state licensed in New Jersey for irrigation. I built a company's irrigation division over the last 7 years to over 500,000. I also end up helping the landscape foreman read blueprints and layout plant material on commercial job sites. Company has 401 and medical. I travel alot in the state due to our g.c.'s liking our work and productivity. What would you consider to be a good payscale. I am hourly.

Dirty Water
03-13-2007, 11:39 AM
You sound a lot like what I was before I left the trade.

In my area, you would be paid around $20 an hour.

DanaMac
03-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Geez, my employee makes $18 an hour and has a lot less responsibilities. But only works 8-9 months, and has less benefits.

Dirty Water
03-13-2007, 11:58 AM
I did change careers for a reason :)

Without A Drought
03-13-2007, 12:30 PM
you could definately get $25/hour, depending on the company may be able to push for $30. someone in your position, though, should push for salary.

somewhere around $2000/week, depending on your hourly commitment.

pg

SprinklerGuy
03-13-2007, 12:39 PM
$2000 per week?

Are you hiring????

jerryrwm
03-13-2007, 12:48 PM
$2000 per week?

Are you hiring????Might fight you for the front spot in line Tony. I think I'm gonna update my resume right now. Wonder what the cost of living in NJ is compared to WI...

SprinklerGuy
03-13-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm guessing HIGHER...but maybe I could commute. Actually at 2k per week, I could commute.

Of course I'm kidding.....I wouldn't trade the selfemployment ranks for less that 2500 per week ;)

sprinklertech
03-13-2007, 02:30 PM
okay , I appreciate your input. Here's one for ya! The company is now giving all employees a 5% pay deduction because some of our g.c.'s want a 10% price decrease. I just found this out.

Without A Drought
03-13-2007, 05:31 PM
COL is definitely higher. and we bill a lot higher. for example hourly rates are $125, PGP's are 40.

i'm also basing that salary estimate on what his skills seem to be, effectively running an irrigation division. also i'm basing that salary point at about 65 hours a week.

A basic service tech with 2 years experience (and a driver's license!) can probably ask for and get about $18/ hour.

Again, bear in mind you're not gonna buy a house for under $350K in my area. and that would be really small or need some work.

I'm in northern jersey, things may be different further south. (below Trenton they still use PVC, talk about the stone ages!!)

pg

Dirty Water
03-13-2007, 07:07 PM
$2000 a week is over 100k a year gross. Nobody is paying a sprinkler tech that anywhere. Even if he only worked 40 hour weeks, Thats still $50 an hour.

As far as your PVC comment, thats just ignorance speaking. Poly has its place as does PVC, and a lot of it depends on climate and the ability to run a plow in the soil.

A side note, This specific Sprinkler Tech sounds like he is working for a "RainRape" type company due to only working for G.C.'s and from the sounds of it, doing Big Box store type installs.

I personally don't think he has any hand at all in bidding proccess, so what exactly is he worth paying for? His irrigation knowledge? 7 years of doing installer for GC's doesn't exactly mean you know anything. A good repair tech would know more in 2 years if he was only doing repairs.

I think he would be lucky to get $20 working for a company like that.

As far as pay cuts, I bet their could recoupe that 5% by getting rid of their worst crew member. My policy is that if my pay gets cut, I walk, and every employer I've ever had has honored that.

If you pay me a certian wage, than that means you think I'm worth it, if you don't think I'm worth it, fire me.

bicmudpuppy
03-13-2007, 09:54 PM
Its that same old thing. Bryan gets PAID. By the customer, by the employer. Like Jon said, you tell me you have had to reconsider and I'm not worth what we agreed, then I have to reconsider the location of my vocation. As to making 2k/wk? or 100K/year? Are we talking about irrigation/landscaping? And we are talking about employees? This is fiction to me in every sense. My last gig before switching back to golf courses and living in a very peaceful piece of no-where, was KCK. Eating at the VERY top of the wage earner food chain is just over $20/hr. With reduced hours in winter and crazy hours in spring and fall, just over 40K is tops.

bumper
03-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Problem is in So. Cal you would be competing with Landscape Architects. Clearly you would know more about irrigation then they would but perception is reality. So, on the design aspect probably 20.00 clams an hour with bennies. If more on the commercial start up side of things, Salary 50K a year company truck and bennies, comes to around 62K with a truck.

sprinklertech
03-13-2007, 11:58 PM
hey dirty water, i am highly qualified in
all aspects of electrical troubleshooting and well pumps. No I don't just do box type stores. I have designed and built 2 townhouse developements, an over 55 housing developement and a multitude of what we call wawa which is the same as a 7-11, with gas pumps or if you know the term superstore Most of the other irrigation co. wish they could afford me.

bicmudpuppy
03-14-2007, 12:18 AM
..................Most of the other irrigation co. wish they could afford me.

Then that makes you over-paid and stuck with the pay cut. If you can't do better somewhere else, then what they dole out to you is what your stuck with.

Dirty Water
03-14-2007, 12:31 AM
hey dirty water, i am highly qualified in
all aspects of electrical troubleshooting and well pumps.

Why don't you go be an electrician then? :laugh:

No I don't just do box type stores. I have designed and built 2 townhouse developements, an over 55 housing developement and a multitude of what we call wawa which is the same as a 7-11, with gas pumps or if you know the term superstore Most of the other irrigation co. wish they could afford me.

In other words, entirely new installs based off a LA's plan.

I'm not impressed.

Without A Drought
03-14-2007, 01:04 AM
Not for nothing Jon, but we're on different coasts. In the limited time i've spent on lawnsite, I realize that the NJ/Metro area here bills a lot higher than most other places. My estimates are not unrealistic.

Also bear in mind, we have a 9 month season. So not everyone will retain that salary year round.

That said, the service techs here grossed 54K, the service manager (me), around 75K, and the salesman well over 100K (roughly a 10% commission). Again, in my area, we are a top end company that doesn't jerk around.

without starting a pissing contest, my previous comment stands. Someone who is capable of designing Res. and large scale Comm. systems, maintaining an existing customer base, training new employees, and generating new business is worth my quote.

pg

Without A Drought
03-14-2007, 01:07 AM
PS. as for the PVC comment, that was a joke. I cut my teeth on PVC, switched to poly about 10 years ago, and haven't looked back since. to me it's a no brainer. but i apologize if i hit a sore spot.

pg

Dirty Water
03-14-2007, 02:13 AM
Not for nothing Jon, but we're on different coasts. In the limited time i've spent on lawnsite, I realize that the NJ/Metro area here bills a lot higher than most other places. My estimates are not unrealistic.

Actually the coasts are pretty similar, its the mid states that are cheap. An average home where I am in redmond is 500-700k.

That said, the service techs here grossed 54K, the service manager (me), around 75K, and the salesman well over 100K (roughly a 10% commission). Again, in my area, we are a top end company that doesn't jerk around.

So nobody in your company actually makes the $100k figure except the guy on commision.

without starting a pissing contest, my previous comment stands. Someone who is capable of designing Res. and large scale Comm. systems, maintaining an existing customer base, training new employees, and generating new business is worth my quote.
pg

Well damn, I'll drop my fancy high paying computer job and come work for you, go back to what I love, and make computer job money :)

I really think that if you actually paid the guy that much you would have second thoughts.

Also, do you own your business or work for one?

sprinklertech
03-14-2007, 06:46 AM
dirty water,
did you not read the part about design, that means I design not an la. And pg is right we are on different coasts and the southern part of nj does not pay as well. you need to know there are 3 partners involved. Too much profit sharing and the heck with the employees. You know the guys who show-up everyday run the crews, etc. We don't just do irrigation. And housing here starts around 350k.

kozmo
03-14-2007, 07:50 AM
I have been reading your posts I'm a medium company here in south jersey how about pm your salary requirements if your interested in top position not just as tech but running day to day ops.est. commercial and 2 crews installing.Even if your not interested drop a line if you just have questions an want an owners perspective.

sprinklertech
03-14-2007, 11:11 PM
yes, I would be interested in talking to you.

sprinklertech
03-15-2007, 09:35 AM
kozmo,
how would you like me to contact you. there is no contact information listed to contact you. My e-mail should be available on this site.

sprinklertech
03-15-2007, 09:57 AM
kozmo,
not sure how to pm you on this site

kozmo
03-15-2007, 10:13 AM
look in your profile and allow pm click on my name and there is a spot to pm me

sprinklertech
03-15-2007, 10:36 AM
i looked in my profile, however I did not find an allow button so I contacted lawn-site and am waiting for a return call. Sorry, I'm not totally use to forums.

BSME
03-15-2007, 10:58 AM
you have to have been a member for 10 days and have made 10 posts to be able to PM... you have 10 posts now

Wet_Boots
03-15-2007, 11:27 AM
(your hat and decoder ring are in the mail) :p

sprinklertech
03-15-2007, 05:06 PM
kozmo,
I sent you a pm, so you may contact me.

kozmo
03-17-2007, 03:33 PM
phone number is wrong please resend

Mike Leary
03-17-2007, 05:11 PM
I'll donate a jet pack: Thought I was the only rookie!