PDA

View Full Version : 2006 ford 350 6.0 diesel smoking?

Brianj
03-13-2007, 09:08 PM
i have 2006 f-350 with 30,000 miles on it, i filled up with with fuel and on my way home it started smoking bad with white smoke, it was smoking alot when i was stopped at red lights, what could be the cause?

Duramax8832
03-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Call the Dealer! White smoke is Bad..My guess would be crappy fuel.. Has it ever done it before? Do you buy fuel from the same station?

mini14
03-13-2007, 09:53 PM
heavy white smoke usually means head gaskets...it could also mean u made a big mistake buying a powerchoke.

BSDeality
03-13-2007, 10:40 PM
headgasket! call the dealer and have them tow it in.

kl680
03-13-2007, 10:51 PM
I had this happen in Dec. it was the egr. cooling tube, cost $ 100.00 for deductible and on down the road. Mine started after I filled up, thought it was bad gas also. Good luck

pclawncare
03-14-2007, 12:08 AM
A buddy of mine just had this happen to him. From what he found out the 6.0 have had a little problem with the head gaskets. His was doing exactly what you are describing. Anyway you are lucky that you have 30,000 mi he was already out of his waranty and i will say it cost him a lot of money i think the bill was somewhere around 3 grand

lawnspecialties
03-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Hold on a second. Just in case, had you been idling for quite a while before this occured? 6.0's will really put out some white smoke when they've idled for a while and then you start down the road. Common occurence.

Now if it's pouring out the white smoke, then it might be warranty time.:confused:

AllProLC
03-15-2007, 12:08 AM
I have 03' GMC Duramax Diesel that no one can figure out why it blows white smoke. Been to 3 dealerships...no loss of power, pressure,etc...replaced all kinds of filters , breathers, Injectors... if anybody has a suggestion let me know

Bill Davis
03-15-2007, 12:22 AM
like previously stated it is your egr valve, I have noticed that being diligent about using diesel clean really helps with the fuel issues.

BigRick
03-15-2007, 12:28 AM
heavy white smoke usually means head gaskets...it could also mean u made a big mistake buying a powerchoke.

tell him that when he gets a 6.4L Stroker with the new tranny, 1000 stock torque and pulls your a** all around town. haha

TPLawnPro
03-15-2007, 12:29 AM
You've got nasty fuel. Try not filling up at either SPUR or CITGO. Stick with BP/Amoco and Shell diesel fuels.

lawnspecialties
03-19-2007, 07:36 PM
i have 2006 f-350 with 30,000 miles on it, i filled up with with fuel and on my way home it started smoking bad with white smoke, it was smoking alot when i was stopped at red lights, what could be the cause?

How about it, Brian? What was the verdict?:confused:

dbankspc
03-19-2007, 07:46 PM
I had the same problem with my 04 Powerstroke, it kept clogging the EGR valve, if you let it go long enough it starts cloging the turbine. I've had fixed several times under warranty.

Guthrie&Co
03-19-2007, 10:51 PM
roflmao i gues this means that 186k of trouble free hard pulling miles is crappy then....

lawnspecialties
03-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Another "please help me" mystery with the last page torn out.:confused:

"Ground Control"
03-21-2007, 01:50 AM
Buy a Chevy or a Dodge and you wont have that problem any more! :) haha

POPO4995
03-21-2007, 12:22 PM
Blue/Black smoke....good White...BAD

Warranty time, like said have it towed in and everything looked at and replaced. I have always been told to associate white smoke with a Turbo problem...:confused:

TXNSLighting
03-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Buy a Chevy or a Dodge and you wont have that problem any more! :) haha

yeh whatever!

TXNSLighting
03-21-2007, 07:55 PM
Blue/Black smoke....good White...BAD

Warranty time, like said have it towed in and everything looked at and replaced. I have always been told to associate white smoke with a Turbo problem...:confused:

blue is not good either. black is the only good kind, (which actually isnt good, just fun). white with the 6.0 usually means egr, or head gaskets. just take to the dealer.

Willofalltrades
03-22-2007, 07:24 PM
yeh whatever!

You keep on confusing me... Seems like your a ford guy, yet you own a dodge? whats the story?

Lynch & Sons Landscaping
03-23-2007, 11:08 PM
100k powertrain warantee. Ask the dealer and let us know!

TXNSLighting
03-23-2007, 11:16 PM
You keep on confusing me... Seems like your a ford guy, yet you own a dodge? whats the story?

The story is. i needed a new truck. i priced out both, and the dodge came in 8 grand cheaper. so i decided its just going to be a company truck one day. ill just get the dodge and save the 8 grand for mowers and advertizing and what not. but in doing this ive found that its true about dodges. their junk! but the engines good. i will be getting a ford some day soon, and use it for my personal truck. ill do estimates in it, and take it out on the town on the weekends.

Willofalltrades
03-26-2007, 10:13 PM
The story is. i needed a new truck. i priced out both, and the dodge came in 8 grand cheaper. so i decided its just going to be a company truck one day. ill just get the dodge and save the 8 grand for mowers and advertizing and what not. but in doing this ive found that its true about dodges. their junk! but the engines good. i will be getting a ford some day soon, and use it for my personal truck. ill do estimates in it, and take it out on the town on the weekends.

What don't you like about it? One of my friend of mine has a 2005 Ford F350 crew cab, lariat, 4x4, diesel, auto, all that good stuff and he doesn't even tow a single trailer. he drives it like a daily driver but has no use for a truck... I don't get it!? lol He claims he got it instead of a Harley. (thats why he put a $15,000 airbrush paint job on it and chipped it (Bully Dog module not the paint lol).

TGM
03-27-2007, 01:21 AM
--put a performance transmission in any diesel with some fueling mods and they will be very different than a stock truck. a stock 48re doesn't know fluid coupling is:rolleyes:

black smoke: too much fuel
blue smoke that stings eyes/nose: fuel
blue smokes that doesn't sting: oil (usually blowby)
white smoke: lack of fuel/raw fuel

how does the truck run with this white smoke? was it dark? (black smoke will look white at night time).

btw, what are you 6.0 guys hitting for stock boost? i saw 50 on dad's towing a couple weeks ago:cry: either the gauge is off or i believe the turbo isn't changing as the CEL goes off now and then.

neversatisfiedj
03-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Any Ford with a 6.0 is JUNK !!!! Read all the articles. navistar pulled out .

Sunscaper
03-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Some people make me laugh with their anti-ford posture. Why does Ford dominate the commercial truck market if they're so bad? I have a 04 6.0 with 40k WORKING miles with ZERO problems. Can you honestly say Chevy and dodge never had any problems?

TGM
03-27-2007, 12:41 PM
ALL makes have their problems. i don't get into the wars except for fun.

Choose what truck makes you happy...as simple as that.

TXNSLighting
04-11-2007, 02:48 PM
What don't you like about it? One of my friend of mine has a 2005 Ford F350 crew cab, lariat, 4x4, diesel, auto, all that good stuff and he doesn't even tow a single trailer. he drives it like a daily driver but has no use for a truck... I don't get it!? lol He claims he got it instead of a Harley. (thats why he put a $15,000 airbrush paint job on it and chipped it (Bully Dog module not the paint lol).

its already falling apart. the cab has air leaks that they cant seem to fix. ive had the ac quit. the cluster panel quit. and the doors are already shakin, its only got 35,000 miles. but the engines nice i love the sound! wow! 15000 dollar paint job??! good god! thats a bit of a waste. yeh i guess some people just have to have a truck, even if its not goin to tow. and bully dogs kick a$$!

TXNSLighting
04-11-2007, 02:51 PM
--put a performance transmission in any diesel with some fueling mods and they will be very different than a stock truck. a stock 48re doesn't know fluid coupling is:rolleyes:

black smoke: too much fuel
blue smoke that stings eyes/nose: fuel
blue smokes that doesn't sting: oil (usually blowby)
white smoke: lack of fuel/raw fuel

how does the truck run with this white smoke? was it dark? (black smoke will look white at night time).

btw, what are you 6.0 guys hitting for stock boost? i saw 50 on dad's towing a couple weeks ago:cry: either the gauge is off or i believe the turbo isn't changing as the CEL goes off now and then.

ive got plentya black smoke!! worth the wasted fuel. not good all the time, but nice here and there.
O and the 6.0's should be boostin 30-35. not 50...

TGM
04-11-2007, 04:26 PM
yeah, that's what i figured, i don't believe the turbo is opening up...sometimes the check engine light will go off. the turbo surges and barks too easy while towing. 50lbs of boost,..sheesh, we'll have to put studs in it.

i'm running and edge comp on mine with exhaust, intake, clutch, etc. next is injectors:cool2:

Gravel Rat
04-11-2007, 07:15 PM
I took a chance and bought a 2003 6.0 its being good so far. Got the oasis report and all the updates have been done.

The 6.0 problems usually come from a dealer with techs that don't know how to repair the engine. The owner of the truck is at fault too usually from lack of maintenance or running a tuner on the truck overboosting it.

Head Gasket problems are from guys with tuners and the turbo boost is way above factory spec's.

Myself I like the 6.0 the 7.3 PSD doesn't even come close to the power or driveability of the 6.0. I have had a 7.3 PSD and its a dog compared to the 6.0 for power.

dozerman21
04-11-2007, 08:29 PM
its already falling apart. the cab has air leaks that they cant seem to fix. ive had the ac quit. the cluster panel quit. and the doors are already shakin, its only got 35,000 miles. but the engines nice i love the sound! wow! 15000 dollar paint job??! good god! thats a bit of a waste. yeh i guess some people just have to have a truck, even if its not goin to tow. and bully dogs kick a$$!

I like the Dodges. They look sweet when they're lifted, and I love the Cummins. I've considered buying one recently, but I just don't like the plain interior, and the autos suck. They might be O.K. if you baby them, but I would chip and lift if I bought a Dodge. I'd probably fry the tranny in no time. A 6-speed wouldn't be too good on the left knee when plowing snow. It's also really hard to find one with leather.:confused: They are cheaper though.

TGM
04-11-2007, 09:04 PM
you will fry the autos in the gm's and ford's with the extra power too. most people are ok with an extra 60hp though.

dtt, suncoast, goerend, ats..

www.elite-diesel.com they don't have a problem holding 70+ pounds of boost on their 6.0 diesels:D

dozerman21
04-11-2007, 09:14 PM
I know. They all have their limits, but IMO, the Dodge autos are the weakest of the three. That's been their Achilles for a long time. Even hardcore Dodge guys admit that you shouldn't go more than 50hp over stock. I've ran 125hp+ on my Chevy for several years with no problem. That includes a lot of snow plowing. The Allison is the cream of the crop IMO. If it ever starts to slip, I'll have it built by a friend of mine. Probably ATS or Suncoast.

TGM
04-11-2007, 09:28 PM
yeah, i got kinda lucky. my old auto held out for about a year and half of being modified (I upped the line pressures some). the fluid coupling is so bad, especially where the cummins makes more low, low end torque than the v8s. then when you do get the power to the ground in lock up, it rips the transmission apart.

i don't know about the 6 speeds, but i know the allison 1000s were slipping pretty bad with an extra 130hp or so.

TGM
04-11-2007, 10:00 PM
here ya go
http://video.dieselplace.com/search/transmission/0/wm/7e94d86c-bfd4-4702-9fd9-4c59cf33b938.htm

dozerman21
04-12-2007, 12:01 AM
Ouch! That really hurts when your built tranny pops!:cry: It looks like he was powerbraking the sh!t out of the launch, and I'm sure his boost was too high. It might have been a tug of war between his tranny and turbo, if the turbo was factory.

I'm not adding anything else to mine, and I'm smart about when I want to get on it. I would definetly need a tranny upgrade if I added any more power.

TXNSLighting
04-12-2007, 09:39 PM
heres the great thing, i have a 230 extra horse option on my chip. and ive used it many many times! its a manual of course and shes still goin with 35,000 miles. she slips a little bit, but it hooks up more than not. you should see all the black smoke that comes out when i stand on it. its beautiful! if i knew how to post a video, i would.

TXNSLighting
04-12-2007, 09:41 PM
you will fry the autos in the gm's and ford's with the extra power too. most people are ok with an extra 60hp though.

dtt, suncoast, goerend, ats..

www.elite-diesel.com they don't have a problem holding 70+ pounds of boost on their 6.0 diesels:D

it will eventually but it wont happen very fast. the dodges trans will give up after a couple thousand miles or less. i had 120hp chip on my 7.3 powerstroke, and that trans lasted almost 35000 miles with it. it gave up at 132,000. not bad, for as much as i drag raced that truck.

Mike33
04-13-2007, 09:42 PM
White smoke in a diesel means un burned fuel. It happened to my 03 last year and actually quit running. It was a o ring on the injecter.
Mike

mini14
04-13-2007, 09:59 PM
i think i remeber reading 60,000 or so 6.0's have been lemon lawed so far......and about 190 different recalls since the 6.0 came out....those engines dont last guys, by the way 40% of those sales figures are institutional sales which ford undercuts everyone on....and i dont have to pull the engine on my cummins to replace the injectors....ive had my dodge for 8 years now 0 probs....i do all my own maintenence and the original tranny has 110,000 miles on it still going........i would have bought the ford pos if it had a straight 6 in it.