PDA

View Full Version : would you hire a 16 year old

PolakPaintballer
03-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Im looking for a job and was wondering how many of you would accutually hire a 16 year old. Thanks

DaughtryLC
03-14-2007, 03:35 PM
A 16 yr old I know or a 16 yr old someone I know knows, Only. Not just a guy down the street!

Lugnut
03-14-2007, 05:04 PM
I would, but of course they would be weedwacking and raking leaves out of mulch beds to start out. If they are responsible and show me what I want to see in terms of how they treat my equipment, I will start letting them do more, up to what is restricted by labor laws.

My opinion might not be the same as everyone else's though, I was working when I was 16 and 17 and I was getting more done and breaking less than the guys older than me.

Team-Green L&L
03-14-2007, 05:06 PM
I would, but of course they would be weedwacking and raking leaves out of mulch beds to start out. If they are responsible and show me what I want to see in terms of how they treat my equipment, I will start letting them do more, up to what is restricted by labor laws.

My opinion might not be the same as everyone else's though, I was working when I was 16 and 17 and I was getting more done and breaking less than the guys older than me.

Let a 16 yr. old get cut with a pair of pruners, smacked with the bucket of a Bobcat, or cut with a saw and see what happens to your insurance premiums and worker's comp.. Not to mention the fine you'll get for violating minor labor laws.:nono: :nono: :nono:

sdelorey494103
03-14-2007, 05:11 PM
I am currently 17 years old and i started landscaping when i was 15 for an established company. I am currently doing my own work on the side instead of working for someone. So yes i think you should hire a 16 year old because you can pay them 10 an hour and he will be happy like i was. give him something to work towards.

Lynden-Jeff
03-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Let a 16 yr. old get cut with a pair of pruners, smacked with the bucket of a Bobcat, or cut with a saw and see what happens to your insurance premiums and worker's comp.. Not to mention the fine you'll get for violating minor labor laws.:nono: :nono: :nono:

In Canada you can legally hire 16 year olds I believe. Whats the US minimum age?

packer101
03-14-2007, 05:19 PM
i was just 16 when i started working in the feild, im 18 now, but i know more, and know how to do more than some other people who are older than I am. age persay isnt really the factor some people can pick stuff up really fast, or just be good at it no madder the age.

Team-Green L&L
03-14-2007, 05:22 PM
In Canada you can legally hire 16 year olds I believe. Whats the US minimum age?

You can hire at 16, but the insurance guys don't like it much and if they got hurt, they would like it even less. Plus, if the guy's on dope and underage the drug testing won't save you.

topsites
03-14-2007, 05:48 PM
Virginia’s Child Labor Laws
The Virginia Department of Labor and Industry supports the employment of teenagers in any
job allowed by law that does not endanger the teenager’s health, safety, or well-being.
Teenagers under the age of 18 cannot be employed in occupations determined to be hazardous by the
Commissioner of Labor and Industry.

This is what the Commonwealth of Virginia dictates, you'll likely want to check your own state's laws, perhaps they are different...
Either way, I found this by googling for 'yourstate minimum employment age' (without the quotes, obviously replace yourstate).
Also there exist exceptions to the rule, such as working for parents etc, anyway it was quite a read, I didn't feel like quoting the whole thing and this is just for virginia anyhow.

To answer the question, if I had a position open that would not pose a danger to your health, safety, or well-being, then I would absolutely consider hiring you (say as an office person, answer phones, sweep and mop the store, perhaps keep stock neat and organized, etc...). And the only reason the answer is no is because I don't have employees (of any age), hope that helps.

Somewhat unfortunately, this is likely to be in the gist of the answers you would receive in a real life situation. I can only recommend persistence on your part, if you really want a job, don't bug the same employer time and again but there's nothing wrong with making the rounds and just keep looking, and asking.

ACutAbovesiny
03-14-2007, 05:55 PM
I would hire a 16 year old but would not have them use the equipment. Rake, sweep up, clean the equipment at the end of the day, etc.

mcwlandscaping
03-14-2007, 05:58 PM
i was just 16 when i started working in the feild, im 18 now, but i know more, and know how to do more than some other people who are older than I am. age persay isnt really the factor some people can pick stuff up really fast, or just be good at it no madder the age.
first off, i gotta give ^^ some credit for having the most kick ass signiture on here!

From what ive seen, most 16 year old kids are lazy, don't want to work, and expect more than they are worth. Yes i am a 16 year old and am in the minority of teens that actually loves working and doesn't like having money just handed to me, i like to earn it! Ive had a couple of friends try and work for me (friend part kinda messed up the test) but most got lazy, real fast, only one ive found that's been great, but he plays too many sports!

Good luck with your job search

PolakPaintballer
03-14-2007, 06:22 PM
thanks guys ill start looking at nearby nursery's this weekend

packer101
03-14-2007, 06:26 PM
i kno exactly what u mean, i hate being idle, i go to work for the fun of it to work, i like it. im stuk workign with people who are lazy ass' and i hate it. i work at a good sized garden/ landscape center for 4 years now i started at the bottom but at thins point im like the 3rd down on the rungs out of like 10. i took a job with a landscaper to get more into that side of the feild. bacically you cant rule it out only based on age, some 16 year olds are complete lazy useless people, others can be a great advantage.

NMS0219
03-14-2007, 07:23 PM
I have and still do hire 16-17 year olds. I hire one part time to do work around the shop. Mostly washing trucks and equipment. The local school district has a construction trades program and part of the program is to work part time for a local contractor. Works out good for me. I just have to fill out a report once a week on how the kid is doing.

NC Greenscaper
03-14-2007, 08:17 PM
I'd hire him to do jobs like the above. Raking, cleaning etc.. No power equipment.

Lawnsmithcare
03-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Well I am 15 and have my company plus in the winter I work for my dealer as mechanic. I think that every company should be willing to hire someone who is younger but that person needs to know how to work and not be lazy IMO I mean kids my age are like in the video games and what not but I don't even own one lol what interest me is this business. I checked around to a few big company's in my area and they said they would hire me real quick in the summer if I didn't have my own business just because of the fact that I know what I am doing and know how to run the equipment and mow a yard or landscape something. But if you hire someone who is 16 and is not putting out his or hers all then that is not a good thing.

Lawnsmithcare
03-14-2007, 10:43 PM
i kno exactly what u mean, i hate being idle, i go to work for the fun of it to work, i like it. im stuk workign with people who are lazy ass' and i hate it. i work at a good sized garden/ landscape center for 4 years now i started at the bottom but at thins point im like the 3rd down on the rungs out of like 10. i took a job with a landscaper to get more into that side of the feild. bacically you cant rule it out only based on age, some 16 year olds are complete lazy useless people, others can be a great advantage.

I agree with you.

BossHoss
03-14-2007, 10:54 PM
i'd hire a 16yr old but I would have to know the person and obviously hours would be limited and what theyre allowed to handle as far as certain equipment would be restricted as well.

baruch05167
03-19-2007, 10:10 PM
I started my business with the idea of teaching minors how to have a good work ethic. I started by hiring two 15 year olds. Since then I learned I can't have 15 and younger run anything with a motor, so I can't hire younger than 16 which is really sad. The first two guys I hired are now crew leaders and only 18. They are great employees making much more than their peers and will never have trouble finding a job in their life. They know how to work and take on responsibility. Theyíve had to work with both easy and difficult customers. They had to train and work with new employees. They have learned a lot.

I think one of the BIGGEST problems with the youth now-a-days is they don't work. Why any 12 year old didnít find summer work for at least 4 hours a day during the summer was unknown to me. I've had a steady job since 9. Now I realize itís the state government that forbids kids from working.

I'd hire a 16 year old.. They work for cheap, say $8.00 per hour, and are loyal when you teach them. By the time they are 18 they are making $9.50 - $10.00 an hour and doing the same job just as good as I can. Put them in a uniform, make sure they are clean cut, and not one customer (except that pshyco I fired as a customer) give it a second thought. They mow $750,000 homes and the owners are very happy.

Big answer, but I am a big believer in hiring minors and teaching them how to work and lead.

Baruch

rfed32
03-19-2007, 10:16 PM
i would hire him and if he wasnt performin in a week id fire him if he was a hard worker then damn hes got a job....i dont think age has anything to do with it...me being young can see that b.c i know a lot of guys that will hire me jst b.c i work my balls off i hustle....and prob work 10-16hrs a day...jst got home from 7this mornin....always out so if they will work and work hard i would be happy and hire them

Myk
03-20-2007, 12:02 PM
The only way I would hire a 16 yr old is if I knew he was a good worker (you can tell by his parents) if you can't tell I would start him off on the hand tools rake shovel pruners ect. cause I'm 23 I started when I was 15 now I've hired a 28 yr old and he tore up stuff in one year that I did in 8 yrs. its just experience with working age just a number to me.

LwnmwrMan22
03-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Here's a link from Minnesota's Department of Labor and Industry.

It compares Minnesota's Child Labor laws with Federal guidelines.

http://www.doli.state.mn.us/pdf/statefed.pdf

Look on the second page, far right, towards the bottom, it pretty much says lawn mowers not permissible for someone under 16.

Soooo.... with that said..... maybe I'll have to hire some of my friends' kids????

cutbetterthanyou
03-20-2007, 11:01 PM
I don't know now and at the time didn't care what the laws were because I needed help, but 3 yrs ago hired my cousin (junior in high school).At first I was worried because his mother called for him and asked for the job, so I though he had no willingness to work, but was just being made to. All I can say now is that I was stupid for judging him by that.The first 2-3 months were straight weedeateing for him then I got him on the mower. I got news for ya all now he will out cut probally anyone on this site including myself. He is a perfectionist and a very hard worker. That first year I "made a man of him". We worked 5-6 days a week (depending on rain) with some mornings as early as 5:00 and never later than 6:30, to getting home frequently at 9:00 and sometimes 10:00. He stuck it out and is still with me in fact last year he started collage ,he is going for landscape design. When he finishes in 3 yrs, if all goes well, we are going to become partners and my business will hopefully grow that much more. I started working for my dad in the summer in his body shop at the age of 7 and I believe that the work ethic that I was taught at such a young age is the reason why I am where I am at at such a young age. So all I can really say is don't judge a book by its cover and give kids opportunities they may surprise you.

NewHorizon's Land
03-24-2007, 10:41 PM
We hire 16+ year olds. Everyone that is older around here wants alot more than they are worth, dont show up on time, and always have to leave early.