PDA

View Full Version : Salary Employees

NewWave
03-14-2007, 05:21 PM
This is our first year having a salary employee. That is what he wanted. He is our foreman and is a great worker. He is a great addition to our company and we want to take care of him to keep him.

My question is how do you guys pay salary employees for an entire rain week or a rain day? I mean if it rains on Monday and we work Saturday he can make up that day. If it rains three days or an entire week should the employee get his entire salary? I have a meeting with him Saturday and want to bring this up. I was thinking a minimum of some sorts. For example. John Doe makes 150 dollars a day when working. If it rains out we will pay him 50 dollars that day. He is guaranteed to make 250 a week minimum even if it rains all week and no work is done. Sound fair? If it rains two days and he works three he would get the 150x3 and the 50x2 as pay. All these numbers are purely for example reasons but does that sound fair? How do you guys do this?

Team-Green L&L
03-14-2007, 05:24 PM
This is our first year having a salary employee. That is what he wanted. He is our foreman and is a great worker. He is a great addition to our company and we want to take care of him to keep him.

My question is how do you guys pay salary employees for an entire rain week or a rain day? I mean if it rains on Monday and we work Saturday he can make up that day. If it rains three days or an entire week should the employee get his entire salary? I have a meeting with him Saturday and want to bring this up. I was thinking a minimum of some sorts. For example. John Doe makes 150 dollars a day when working. If it rains out we will pay him 50 dollars that day. He is guaranteed to make 250 a week minimum even if it rains all week and no work is done. Sound fair? If it rains two days and he works three he would get the 150x3 and the 50x2 as pay. All these numbers are purely for example reasons but does that sound fair? How do you guys do this?

Salary means "salary"...rain or not. Just work his a** off the next 2 weeks.

NewWave
03-14-2007, 05:32 PM
That is what I am assuming he wants.

kandklandscape
03-14-2007, 06:27 PM
we are thinking about doing this with one of our guys to. how does this seem to work out? just sucks prob to pay when it gets to be the slow time of the year, OR if it doesnt snow lol

zz4guy
03-15-2007, 11:10 PM
What do YOU do when it rains? Fix equipment, advertise, do bookwork, run errands? Since he'll be there anyway you might as well put him to work on that kind of stuff.

He'd probably rather work than do nothing and would be glad to help you with that stuff.

zz4guy
03-15-2007, 11:41 PM
My Dad owns a small company with one sallaried employee. In the last 15 years she has ALWAYS had stuff to do. If there aren't products to put together there are bills to be paid. Or advertising, or fixing something, or cleaning or mowing the grass outside! She is always doing something. If she's not it really starts to raise the flag of "does this person realy need to work here full time?"

I am also a sallaried employee where I work and NEVER want to look not busy.

I guess my point is if you think he would sit on his butt when it rains you should be thinking about another employee. If he is a good worker HE will find stuff to keep him busy. And if you don't have enough stuff to keep him busy I'd say now is not the right time to bring him on full time because you will ultimately loose money and he'll have to be laid off. No fun for either person then.

Just my .02 - good luck with it!

John Zaprala
03-16-2007, 12:10 AM
I am salary and was like this employee you speak of to my company. I approached them b/c I'm a hardworker and just like the consistency of a paycheck over relying on UC and side jobs to get me through the winter. But I agree with the fact salary means salary. It's factored into your overhead like truck payments are. If it rains for the whole month you still need to make that truck payment, so when it stops make sure it makes up the difference not necessarily in time, but efficiency. I would have him do errands for you and company on rain days like someone else said.

NewWave
03-16-2007, 12:49 AM
We spoke today. Salary means salary. The guy is a good hard working guy. We or he will find something to do on those days. He is more than willing to make it up on a Saturday or Sunday too. I have known him for 4 years now and he is worth every penny.:)